Ratings & Reactions: West Ham v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/03/22 at 00:00

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not doubting your word....but do we have to keep relying on Referee's to chaperone us?, because it isn't going to happen.

Its a mans game and you have to be equipped to look after yourself.....its part and parcel of the game.

We have to develop an edge, where its not a good idea to be continuously fouling us....you call it a "reducer".....we had players in the past, who had idea's of retribution, and it seems the referee's are turning a blind eye to it.

We have to be stronger in the execution of staying on the ball, and if means a few dark arts, so be it......maybe we could do with a few players, who are at home with it.

In principle I agree with you. I would like nothing more than to see a Villa player who understands the dark arts of retribution giving it back to the opposition with interest. The unknown factor is whether VAR performs another flip – we’ve had “We see everything” and “We see nothing” so I guess we’re due another spell of “We see everything” given the random nature of the VAR circus. Retribution can definitely be a game changer, but not always the way you want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats a cop out, if I ever saw one.

Mo Salah and Jamie Vardy have been running the gauntlett for yonks as just 2 examples , not to mention Messi......both a strip of piss, in physical stature...Top Athletes,  use their body weight to their own advantage and own the pass.

Bailey is supposed to be a top flight forward, tearing it up in the bundesliga, sure he just back after injury and it will take time to rehabilitate, but come on he has to use his talent in defence of these physical specimens.

Our own PC is no shrinking violet....plenty of top flight strikers, with modest body weight, have used it to skin defenders.

Its a poor argument in my opinion.

The pass made it hard for Bailey, and it looks as though he was tripped to me, but for some reason there is no close up I can find anywhere. He had got his body in the way. It was either a trip or a dive! If a dive Bailey probably cost us a goal. However the pass was one of a number of high risk passes McGinn played that didn't come off and thats the point i was really making.

• Like 1

Opportunity missed, for mine.

The 2 sides were pretty even and had Ing's shot not been deflected off the post and back in to Fabianski's arms it might well be a different result.

But against a Wet Spam side missing Bowen and losing Cresswell and Antonio to injury, they were there for the taking. Sadly, we sat waaaaay too deep in the second half, letting them have all the ball as we tried to soak up pressure on tired legs.

Would have liked to have seen a couple of changes from the start - particularly Sanson and Buendia - to freshen us up for this one. Failing that, a couple of fresh legs via substitutes to help us retain a bit of possession and get up the pitch around the hour mark. Again, no.

I feel this one is down to the manager.

Regardless, we were hardly awful having about as many shots, shots on target and corners as our opposition and enjoying some good periods of patient possession in the first half.

On to the next.

• Like 3

Our midfield made more tackles and more interceptions than them. We also had more possession and created more chances overall. 

They scored a worldie and the second was a foul on Bailey and then someone should have taken a yellow by bringing Rice down. 

West Ham defended really well .

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights. Yarmolenkos goal was a great turn and finish.

For those who watched in real time, was there any check for offside for the player that it went past the knees of?

Still a bit sore from McGinn being offside against Arsenal last season for the same thing so wondered if anything was said at the time.

8 hours ago, messi11 said:

Ratings:

Martínez- 7/10

Cash- 5/10

Chambers- 5/10

Mings- 5/10

Digne- N/A

McGinn- 4/10

Luiz- 4/10

Ramsey- 6/10

Coutinho- 6/10

Ings- 6/10

Watkins- 5/10

Young (Digne 10)- 4/10

Bailey (Ings 69)- 7/10

Buendía (Luiz 78)- 6/10

I'd start Coutinho-Ings-Bailey next game

Sorry, but this is a massive over reaction.

OK, we weren't great, but did you have to give everyone negative scores?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not good, not terrible. Ran a better team close and thier own place, a bit more luck in the box and it could have been a different game.

Both goals conceded were poor, especially the first. Cash allows the ball carrier to cut inside unchecked. Mings stops tracking yarmolenkos run and chambers doesn't pick him up allowing both space and time for the shot. Defence was nowhere on the second.

Probably needed some personnel changes to pack the midfield against rice and soucek. Not sure where Luiz was today and why Coutinho was having to pick the ball up off mings feet all the time.

7 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

They are further ahead than us so not gutted. Lots to learn from that. 

Next season, they will be behind us. Rice will be gone and Soucek will have continued to get worse (he’s already nowhere near as good as last season).

Of the London clubs, Palace will be far ahead of West Ham next season since they have a lot more young talent. Good luck Moyes and try to avoid relegation.

(Feel free to bookmark this, I will.)

10 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I thought the same for the first, player looked offside and swerved to avoid the ball right infront of Emi, one of those where if your top six you probably get the decision, certainly I'd like to see it again. No real complaints about the result but close games can be decided on those kinds of decisions

I thought interfering from offside position. Think the team caught up ‘in the moment’ by the Ukrainian player who put ball in net. The players should have remonstrated with the ref (led by Emi), followed by a more critical VAR but they didn’t and goal stood. 

Yes he should use his squad more.  We have some very capable players in the squad and to use players 3 times in a week rather than to utilise the squad is just very poor management both from a stamina point of view, and from a morale point of view.

He’s a young manager, and I’m sure he will learn with time.

I am not at all angry about this loss like I was with the Newcastle/Watford losses.  We put in a decent ish performance against a team that is clearly far better drilled than ourselves.

On another days Ings’ shot goes in off the post, coutinho’s deft flick sneaks past the keeper, and Martinez pushes Yarmalenkos shot round the post. 
They were the better team, but actually we lost by fine margins.  I’m not gonna crap on SG for today.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Desperately need depth at left back. Young as much as i like him offers zero.

Thought watkins was anonymous once more.

We had the depth at Left back with Targett, IMO a mistake by SG to let him go out on loan. One minute he was the bees knees then he was gone (more to it than we have been told I think). To be fair to Ollie he didn't get the service today.

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TRO said:

sheepy, I don't want to go back in time....but Andy G wasn't the most gifted of strikers in technical terms ( his words not mine)

but by christ, if you was a defender, you knew you had been in a game.

I like Ollie, I really do.....but he has to do more to make him self a pest or a nuisance.....goals won't always land on a plate, he has to make them happen too.

Agree with this, I find it very irritating how easily he gets brushed off the ball, his hold up play also is poor, which is why I find it odd at times we sacrifice Ings first, who's hold up play IMO is pretty good

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AJ said:

Sorry, but this is a massive over reaction.

OK, we weren't great, but did you have to give everyone negative scores?

5/10 = average
6/10 = above average 

They are not negative scores

16 minutes ago, messi11 said:

5/10 = average
6/10 = above average 

They are not negative scores

Sorry buddy.

Just having a joke.

I knew I should have added a tongueoutwinkysmileyfacemoji to clarify that.

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I never feel that confident playing them compared to say Brighton who have lots of good players but we tend to nulify them quite well and only lost 1 out of six since we came back up. No wins in last six v West Ham but generally our record in London is pretty poor in recent

I think that’s probably reflected in their respective positions in the table Chris. Still I get your point, in fact we’ve beaten better teams than them since coming back up. I don’t think we were far away from getting something from the game yesterday, but regardless of how we play we somehow always fall short against them. 

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The flat track bullies of the Premier League

except we also struggled against Watford and Brentford.....just the mediocre teams we beat :D 

Â