Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

He's late 20s and he's done absolutely nothing of note in his career except warm benches and get relegated.

He's played next to no football.

I'm sorry, I've been nice, he seems a good guy, but he's an absolute mug. Should go to the Championship and play 50 to 100 games in the next two years because the PL isn't it.

Maybe once it was, but he's a billion miles off it now with the lack of games from 21.

• Like 1

I don’t begrudge him keeping hold of his PL wages in the short term but surely the smarter move long term is to put yourself in the shop window with a view to securing your next long term contract, even if that means Championship wages for 6 months. If he’d have gone to Hull or Baggies, there’s promotion potential and possibility of a permanent contract (also why I’m surprised we were insisting on no loan).

He obviously has his reasons and I don’t like it when fans expect players just to leave their contracts but seems a big short sighted. I don’t know when his contract is up but I’d be surprised if he’s still here come the end of the summer window.

Edited by WallisFrizz

If we’re dumb enough to give him a massive contract he’s well within his rights to see it out, unfortunately.

But you’d hope we’d come to a deal where we get rid of him and subsidise at least some of the wages we would be paying him in the summer.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

If we’re dumb enough to give him a massive contract he’s well within his rights to see it out, unfortunately.

How many of our players end up doing this? Our past transfer business over the last 10+ years has been shocking. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, STO said:

I am a bit surprised that a Luton, Burnley or Sheffield United haven't taken a gamble on Chambers.  He would do a decent job for one of them. 

He's not good enough for them. He can't run or defend, is not strong enough to play CB..what decent job is he going to do?

I can still see that Arsenal branding is working for him. Was greeted pretty universally as a clever buy,  shrewd in fact, by villa fans at the time.

He's always been shit got Arsenal on this CV so automatically rated him. In the same bucket as "played for Arsenal make them England Internationals" Jenkinson, Maitlend Niles and Kieron **** Gibbs.

One of Gerrard's "INtERnaTIOnaL and EuROpeAn ExPeRIEnce" signings.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Bizarre we gave him a 3 and a half year deal when Arsenal gave him away. Said before that January 2022 put us back this year

Gerrard, Lange and Purslow with absolute clangers a year or 18month contract with an option would have been absolutely fine. 

In fairness to him, he and his agent have probably seen us pay off Bertie to go and find a new club and are holding out for us to do the same. He gets a good bung to allow us to tear up the contract and he's free to negotiate a decent contract as a free agent. Whatever we think of him, he's an England international who's played for 2 major teams - somebody will take a chance with no fee involved.

With Mings and Pau still injured, we don't have much cover at CB. Whilst I'd like to have moved him on permanently, he at least gives us cover for Cash and Konsa in the RB and RCB positions. Right now we have Konsa, Lenglet Diego, and Chambers as our fit CB's. We may also need him for squad rotation in the conference league when games are coming thick and fast.

I'm trying to be positive.

Regarding turning down moves to Championship clubs, we don't know which ones they were. He might be settled here with a family and isn't prepared to move them away for only a few months.

31 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Why didn't we just take a loan offer and get some of his wage covered?  He's absolutely no use to the squad.

It’s minimal gains, I guess. Ultimately -  if we have 3 injuries at the back or something - he could still run (maybe?) about a bit. 

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

How many of our players end up doing this? Our past transfer business over the last 10+ years has been shocking. 

You could say that about every club. Transfers don’t work out and players end up on contracts that are far beyond their worth. They sit back and see out the contracts. As is their right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Why didn't we just take a loan offer and get some of his wage covered?  He's absolutely no use to the squad.

I think we’re trying to move away from this image of being a club that will just loan players out, and want to sell unwanted players. This will stand us in good stead long term. We’re no pushovers anymore. 

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Gerrard, Lange and Purslow with absolute clangers a year or 18month contract with an option would have been absolutely fine. 

2.5 years with an option would have been a sensible deal

They gave Hause a new deal and never played him 

Edited by Zatman

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He's late 20s and he's done absolutely nothing of note in his career except warm benches and get relegated.

He's played next to no football.

I'm sorry, I've been nice, he seems a good guy, but he's an absolute mug. Should go to the Championship and play 50 to 100 games in the next two years because the PL isn't it.

Maybe once it was, but he's a billion miles off it now with the lack of games from 21.

He was outstanding at Fulham the year they were relegated he was by far there best player. 

Everyone needs squad players, if he was that bad he wouldn't make our bench. Don't blame the player we as a club recruited him take your vengeance out the club. 

For a bit of balance, when he first joined he actually played well at times, scored a few decent goals aswell. He was always a utility player and could do a job.

But we've moved up a few levels and his lack of a consistent position and game time has harmed him, coming in from the cold to play in midfield or defence for one random game is never going to produce what we need. We learnt early on in Europe that making too many changes cost us results.

I like the guy, but def surprised he would fight so hard to stay and refuse first team football.

• Like 1

Controversial, but why would he move and potentially take lesser terms, move a settled family etc? I’m fairly certain most people on here would take the same stance. I get the fact he’s on astronomical wages but it’s all relative.

• Like 1

Â