Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

"It's difficult because we were working, getting Diego Carlos and Ezri Konsa at right centre back slash full-back," Emery said. "When we were practising in the training session, we were practising playing matches and we were progressively getting better and getting confidence doing that.

"We lost Konsa. Now we have lost Diego Carlos and when we have players in the squad, and we're working with them every day, they have to be ready when we are getting some circumstances like now and when I spoke with Calum Chambers, I told him 'you have to leave because it is difficult to play.'

"He decided to stay here. He's in the squad. If we need his help, he has to be ready and he is. Tomorrow he is an option. To get the performances like we had before with other players.

"We have three centre-backs with Chambers, Lenglet and Pau. My plan always is to try to create a strong squad not only starting 11, not only 14 players - a strong squad, a strong mentality to create high demands inside the club."

Speaking about the injuries in his. squad, Emery said: "I can never remember a time like this. It’s not an excuse. When injuries happen, I always accept it, but of course this is the worst. We are human and of course we are going to support the players, particularly with ACL injuries.

"It’s the worst moment for them and their families. Every day it’s good for us to meet Tyrone, Emiliano and now Kamara. They are not available but the message is always that they will come back stronger than before.

"I’ve never had this situation before as a coach. I know Real Madrid have had the same situation (with David Alaba, Eder Militao and Thibaut Courtois) with ACL injuries. 

"But we have accept it and keep going. We will be positive, we work, and try to support the players who will have chances. 

"Maybe with some types of injuries, like hamstrings, there is work you can do in terms of injury prevention, but knee injuries are different. But these are not a consequence of our work. Tyrone was injured at Newcastle, Emiliano here at the training ground and Kamara at Villa Park. 

"I had this injury when I was 20 and it was difficult for my career, so I know how it is. There are risks involved in football."

2 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

A bit nutty (or unfortunate) that he isn't in the European squad!

As much as I'm not a fan of his, it really is. Hopefully at least one of (hopefully both) Pau and Konsa are both fit by the time Ajax comes around!

14 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

A bit nutty (or unfortunate) that he isn't in the European squad!

Kons based on timescale should be available for at least one of the Ajax legs, hopefully Diego Carlos aswell.

Look his no world beater plugs a hole , but he was unfairly critised after that game in Poland when we were all rubbish and it was his first minutes.

Edited by ozvilla28

He's not a terrible player. Don't forget how good he looked at the end of 2021-22 when Konsa was hurt. He lacks pace and has a mistake in him. Ultimately, he's not good enough for where we want to go, but he could play at a lower level PL club.

• Like 1

Â