Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst I get why it happens I don’t think the very vocal anxiety when he has the ball at his feet helps his or our cause.  He did ok though. 

I felt that in general from the backline. Legia game plan was clearly targeting it and I guess we see what Torres brings when he's not playing

I hate that we as Villa fans perpetuate issues with players.

If a player is struggling, they hardly need moaning and groaning when they have the ball. See Petrov - took a lot longer to get to his best because of fan whinging imo.

Obviously he has made errors and not comparing Olsen to the quality of Petrov, but some of the murmurings in the ground and on socials only make things worse. It's not that deep if our keeper has the ball, there's no need to put him under pressure.

I'm glad he has come back from it to an extent but it's prolonged the problem imo.

• Like 3

I'm another that's not been a huge fan of his, but fair play, i thought his confidence (and therefore mine...) has turned a corner.

Seemed a lot more assured last night and that pass to Bailey....🙌 

(no chefs kiss emoji available alas ...)

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I suspect he will probably get a start in Bosnia as well.

I wouldn't play him in Bosnia, too much temptation for him to let a shed load in so he gets more game time in the round of 32 :crylaugh: 

1 hour ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I would have settled for some kind of jump with an arm out! 😂

Yeh same here 😊. Whilst it was top corner it wasnt struck with force and Olsen was quite central. Emi has saved top corner shots with a lot more power than that before. 

Plus goalies react on strikers body shape. It was clear what he was trying to do. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

It's a free shot from what 15 yards? And it's the absolute perfect position to bend and dip it around the keeper with pace.

He's not saving it, he's not getting anywhere near it, it's dipped and bent , he's not 9 foot tall. 

...but it's like Ben Foster says. Even if you know you're not getting there do a token dive for the fans

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

but it's like Ben Foster says. Even if you know you're not getting there do a token dive for the fans

An approach that many a striker takes too! And a fair few midfielders eh Jack? Never for us but his new employers expect it!! As did that bloke who used to play for Spurs but went to Germany. 

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

So every cup game is approaching knock out territory now, would anyone want him in goal still because I wouldn't.

I think he’ll play in Bosnia and that’ll be it for this competition. 

Unless we absolutely batter someone in the first leg of a knockout stage then he might get the second leg

Only caught the second half, but I think it's been agreed to play out from the back, but to boot it when he's pressed hard.  This compromise means he feels more confident in his game, and the rest of the team can anticipate what he's going to do better.  Looked like a decent backup in this game, hopefully he can build on it 👍

On 01/12/2023 at 16:42, rodders0223 said:

It's a free shot from what 15 yards? And it's the absolute perfect position to bend and dip it around the keeper with pace.

He's not saving it, he's not getting anywhere near it, it's dipped and bent , he's not 9 foot tall. 

...but it's like Ben Foster says. Even if you know you're not getting there do a token dive for the fans

Not when it looks ridiculous to do it. And it would've looked ridiculous. He wouldn't get close to it. I'd say keepers rarely react in those situations. 

Â