Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Yeah that's always a pretty silly thing to say.

i think it's often a valid argument, usually when calling for managers' heads

however in olsen's case, i honestly think we could go down the list of the teams in the championship and whilst i couldn't name a single one of them, i'd wager 15+ would be an upgrade and many would cost <£10m

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i think it's often a valid argument, usually when calling for managers' heads

however in olsen's case, i honestly think we could go down the list of the teams in the championship and whilst i couldn't name a single one of them, i'd wager 15+ would be an upgrade and many would cost <£10m

This is it.

With a manager, yes I understand more of a plan being needed (not that that's up to fans anyway). Replacing a sub keeper this bad is not difficult.

Burnley's sub keeper was signed on a free from Leyton Orient. He's better than Olsen at absolutely everything.

As we all knew in the summer. It is season absolutely over if Martinez gets injured.

• Like 1

It’s not about if Olsen is a good keeper or not, it’s about if he can play our system.

He can’t.

He just can’t.  

Either change him, or change the way we play when he plays.  I don’t understand why this concept is so difficult. The whole defence starts to panic when he’s in goal for this very reason. Let the guy boot it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thug said:

It’s not about if Olsen is a good keeper or not, it’s about if he can play our system.

He can’t.

He just can’t.  

Either change him, or change the way we play when he plays.  I don’t understand why this concept is so difficult. The whole defence starts to panic when he’s in goal for this very reason. Let the guy boot it.  

Some of the passes he makes, and the intensity he nails them are absolutely **** insane (sure he does make some good saves though). I don't know why I'm replying to you particularly here!

On 28/09/2023 at 15:40, Risso said:

The keeper playing it out to the defence, even under pressure is such an integral part of Unai's tactics, that to have a back up keeper who is horrendous at that part of the game doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

Until this is addressed then nothing will improve with confidence in defence 

• 1 month later...

Already shipped 2 away against Azerbaijan. The first one was partly down to him refusing to come off his line and zero communication with Lindelöf. Was mostly Lindelöf thou who was pathetic.

Edit: His positioning was also suspect for the shot.

Edited by sne

Weird how this guy earns a Premier League living and plays for his country. In my opinion, there is no validity to the 'It's virtually impossible to find a good backup keeper' argument. I get that it's difficult, but it can't be Robin Olsen level difficult.

We've certainly had talented young keepers in the past, so surely we should be churning them out, or at least signing them up as we have done with young talent in other positions. Gotta be better than waiting for the Olsen rick.

Robin Olsen is not the answer to any goalkeeping related question, apart from 'who should you play in goal if you want to give the opposition hope by spooking your own defence'? He sticks out as a weak link like a massive sore 👎

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I know it's a low level but Marschall is young and did great at Gateshead on loan? Like basically took them from bottom to top 3 form when he joined

All by himself ? Wow.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I understand we aren't in a position to have a 20m 75k a week back up goalkeeper but hopefully we'll be there in a few years with regular cup competitions.

This guy is awful, honestly Nyland would be a better fit.

Very few (if any?) clubs have a player of that profile as backup though. Arsenal currently have Ramsdale but there's no way he'll be staying long or even short-medium term if he remains a backup.

44 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Surprising what a £2 mil goalkeeper buys you. 

Would be like buying Neil Taylor and not understanding why he isn't as good as Digne or Moreno. 

He's supposedly on £50k-£55k/w thou. That's not money well spent imo.

Â