Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

Wider point on GK's in general, but there's a real dearth of quality goalies at the moment. Some of the no1's for top clubs around Europe aren't a patch on the luminaries that came before them. Most of the backups that we'd probably consider decent are going to be getting 1st team football currently. Look at Chelsea, they've got Sanchez, and he's awful. Isn't Szczeney still no1 at Juve? A good backup GK is probably the hardest position to fill in world football.

It's probably because most clubs want a keeper who can play out from the back, and that's a skillset that not many have. It wasn't long ago only Neuer could do that.

On 17/11/2023 at 14:15, Tom13 said:

Very few (if any?) clubs have a player of that profile as backup though. Arsenal currently have Ramsdale but there's no way he'll be staying long or even short-medium term if he remains a backup.

And look at the absolute mess that is causing 😂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He’s being harshly criticised for that halfway line goal. 

He’s shit. But for that specific goal it’s hard to see what he’s done wrong

The other 2 where probably worse. First one his positioning when he ran out was terrible and he somehow made himself smaller so almost the whole goal was open to the attacker, albeit from a poor angle. The second one he didn't even try to save. Just stood there while the ball bounced into the goal.

On 17/11/2023 at 21:20, Lerner's Driver said:

Weird how this guy earns a Premier League living and plays for his country. In my opinion, there is no validity to the 'It's virtually impossible to find a good backup keeper' argument. I get that it's difficult, but it can't be Robin Olsen level difficult.

We've certainly had talented young keepers in the past, so surely we should be churning them out, or at least signing them up as we have done with young talent in other positions. Gotta be better than waiting for the Olsen rick.

Robin Olsen is not the answer to any goalkeeping related question, apart from 'who should you play in goal if you want to give the opposition hope by spooking your own defence'? He sticks out as a weak link like a massive sore 👎

It's honestly driving me insane at the moment. Its suddenly become the standard template answer - "oh who decent would come to us to be a backup."

Answer: Lots of Championship number 1s, young starlets playing in more minor European league, an Argentinian league number 1 maybe with the Emi understudy connection. With the dual factors of a) learning from Emi and b) having the opportunity to replace him if he does ever leave us for a 'bigger' team, I genuinely feel we're selling ourselves well short by accepting that Olsen is the best we can get for that role. We can do way better with what we can offer.

• Like 4

I think it’s universally accepted we need a better number 2 and the fact he hasn’t featured in any European game since he last played suggests the club feel the same way. 

However even if we get one in January regardless of who it is it will be a massive downgrade on the official best keeper in the world. So hopefully he stays fit for the whole season.

On 17/11/2023 at 16:06, Jonesy7211 said:

Wider point on GK's in general, but there's a real dearth of quality goalies at the moment. Some of the no1's for top clubs around Europe aren't a patch on the luminaries that came before them. Most of the backups that we'd probably consider decent are going to be getting 1st team football currently. Look at Chelsea, they've got Sanchez, and he's awful. Isn't Szczeney still no1 at Juve? A good backup GK is probably the hardest position to fill in world football.

It's probably because most clubs want a keeper who can play out from the back, and that's a skillset that not many have. It wasn't long ago only Neuer could do that.

That's a fair point. It makes it even harder to come into the team to both manage the back line and also take part in the football possession. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

14 hours ago, Powehi said:

It's honestly driving me insane at the moment. Its suddenly become the standard template answer - "oh who decent would come to us to be a backup."

Answer: Lots of Championship number 1s, young starlets playing in more minor European league, an Argentinian league number 1 maybe with the Emi understudy connection. With the dual factors of a) learning from Emi and b) having the opportunity to replace him if he does ever leave us for a 'bigger' team, I genuinely feel we're selling ourselves well short by accepting that Olsen is the best we can get for that role. We can do way better with what we can offer.

yet we havent went for anybody else for that position. Lange and Monchi plus Emery and his goalkeeping coaches havent found a backup keeper

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Powehi said:

He wasn't thought to be good enough for a Championship club. He's not very good at any aspect of the goalkeeping art, and worse for us he's especially poor with the ball at his feet.

On 20/11/2023 at 03:33, Powehi said:

How many clubs have a backup keeper who might genuinely replace their number 1 at some point? If a club does have that, they're likely out on loan playing somewhere or just leave. See Dean Henderson.

42 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

How many clubs have a backup keeper who might genuinely replace their number 1 at some point? If a club does have that, they're likely out on loan playing somewhere or just leave. See Dean Henderson.

While I accept this logic, we can still get better than Olsen. He's absolutely diabolical. 

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Ok, but how many clubs aiming for CL in the near future would try it with Olsen as their backup goalkeeper?

Such a shame.

He seems likeable enough - but for all of his effort, he is way off what we require and we just can’t rely on him…

My stomach turns every time I see his name on a team sheet in a playing capacity.

We do need to improve on him though, but it’s not nice seeing him get dogs abuse…

3 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

My stomach turns every time I see his name on a team sheet in a playing capacity.

Would you be disappointed or relieved if 'Olsen' on the team sheet turned out to be Mary-Kate or Ashley instead?

21 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Would you be disappointed or relieved if 'Olsen' on the team sheet turned out to be Mary-Kate or Ashley instead?

Depends…

Ok, they are easy on the eye… but can they catch an inswinging corner in a crowded penalty area?

• Like 1

Â