Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

Fair play to him he was outstanding tonight. At one point I was momentarily nonplussed by one of his very good saves because I defaulted to "Martinez is in goal and he does this every week" mode before remembering that it was Olsen.

• Like 3

Poor for their free kick, but the wall takes the vast majority of the blame there. 

Apart from that he was sound. Some ropey distribution but minor points really.

Actually really pleased for him. 

• Confused 1

Fair play to him but I think when you play such a top team just by default you will end up making a hell of a lot of saves and still concede a lot.  

It’s in the tight games where you might need to make just one or two match winning save when the top keepers come in to their own. 

Good on him though, will help his confidence.

• Like 1

My opinion on Olsen has always been that, as a back up keeper, he's a good squad player.

He knows he's not going to play if Emi is available and will spend most of his time on the bench. If you have an out and out number 1 keeper, you need a player that's prepared to do that.

I suspect his contribution to the team is broader than what he does on match day, and that having an experienced back-up keeper during training is valuable in itself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Poor for their free kick, but the wall takes the vast majority of the blame there. 

Apart from that he was sound. Some ropey distribution but minor points really.

Actually really pleased for him. 

I get what you mean because I found it strange that he just stopped when moving towards where the ball was going. I don't know why he did that. 

Other than that, it was probably one of his best performances - and he still conceded 4, which begs some questions:

Do the players feel less assured with him there? Is he commanding enough as a keeper to organise the defence adequately? 

I feel really pleased for him.  

If the wall does what it was designed to do, we go in 1-1 at half time, it's a different game in the second half.  We'd likely go on to lose anyway, but I doubt it would have been 4 (as Callum Chambers wouldn't have been brought on :lol:). 

He made some good stops at 1-0 and 1-1 and he kept his distribution simple.

After some of the grief he gets, I'm glad he can hold his head up high against Man City. 

40 minutes ago, smg said:

How was he poor for the free kick ? He set up the wall to guard that part of the goal. He then has to trust those in the wall to do their job. They didn’t how can he be blamed for Zaniolo reacting like a small boy in his first game of football ? 

Because as a keeper you still expect to be diving towards that side of the goal. You position yourself to cover the other side, but the expectation is always that the taker will be trying to go around or over the wall.

Despite that and the ball being a couple of feet from him, he didn't even move.

It's not really his fault. The wall is by far the biggest issue there. The shot should never have even got to Olsen and Zaniolo is far FAR more at fualt. But when the shot did get through then I felt he should have been making a better effort to save it.

Emi Martinez saves that, imo.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Agree Emi saves that free kick all day long and in a tight game where we win by the odd goal that could make all the difference.

Not a criticism of Olsen as the wall should have done its job but just more an indication of how important Emi is too us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smg said:

How was he poor for the free kick ? He set up the wall to guard that part of the goal. He then has to trust those in the wall to do their job. They didn’t how can he be blamed for Zaniolo reacting like a small boy in his first game of football ? 

Still very saveable, it was a weak strike.

• Haha 1

Easily his best ever game for us.

Saved everything he realistically could've saved and no chance with any of the goals including the free kick.

He was also surprisingly comfortable with claiming crosses and playing around at the back which he certainly hasn't in most of his other starts.

Maybe he's one of those who overthinks too much when he knows he's going to start a game? This is the second time in his career he's come in last minute away to Man. City and he wasn't that bad in that game either, certainly not the reason we blew the 2-0 lead in ten minutes.

• Like 3

He did nothing wrong. Can't be faulted for the second goal. Wouid hsve been totally unsighted. Nobody can say whether  Martinez saves it. 

Easier for a keeper to look good when you are second best in games.

When you face more shots than normal the keeper will obv make more saves than when you are on top or it's an even game.

I think you saw the work that goes in on the training pitch last night with him. Night and day from his last performances.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Because as a keeper you still expect to be diving towards that side of the goal. You position yourself to cover the other side, but the expectation is always that the taker will be trying to go around or over the wall.

Despite that and the ball being a couple of feet from him, he didn't even move.

It's not really his fault. The wall is by far the biggest issue there. The shot should never have even got to Olsen and Zaniolo is far FAR more at fualt. But when the shot did get through then I felt he should have been making a better effort to save it.

Emi Martinez saves that, imo.

He rightfully expects a low shot like that to hit the wall. No blame for Olsen, nor does Emi save that.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Easily his best ever game for us.

Saved everything he realistically could've saved and no chance with any of the goals including the free kick.

He was also surprisingly comfortable with claiming crosses and playing around at the back which he certainly hasn't in most of his other starts.

Maybe he's one of those who overthinks too much when he knows he's going to start a game? This is the second time in his career he's come in last minute away to Man. City and he wasn't that bad in that game either, certainly not the reason we blew the 2-0 lead in ten minutes.

This could be true. Overthinking leads to excessive nervousness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree Emi saves that free kick all day long and in a tight game where we win by the odd goal that could make all the difference.

Not a criticism of Olsen as the wall should have done its job but just more an indication of how important Emi is too us.

Emi has conceded goals like that for us in the past.

I think people are heavily biased either way.

Also... I see where people are trying to go, but downplaying a good performance because he " faced more shots " is like downplaying an Ollie hat trick because he had more chances and saying...

" Yeah a hat trick is cool... But it's in the games where he is starved of service he needs to score to show he has quality " etc

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

To be fair he was unrecognisable last night. I've seen howlers in a Roma.shirt and a Villa shirt and I've been a critic from the start but last night he was great. Could have been 7 or 8 had he not done some good work.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Emi has conceded goals like that for us in the past.

I think people are heavily biased either way.

Also... I see where people are trying to go, but downplaying a good performance because he " faced more shots " is like downplaying an Ollie hat trick because he had more chances and saying...

" Yeah a hat trick is cool... But it's in the games where he is starved of service he needs to score to show he has quality " etc

Come on mate, we both know it’s not the same

I think if you wanted a striker comparison it would be one that scores a hatrick when you win 5, 6 nil but doesn’t score many winners or crucial goals.

Olsen played well so fair play to him.  There’s no bias at all. Do I pray Emi is back for Brentford?  You’re damn right I do ! 

• Like 1

Â