Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Saved us point , great save with his trailing foot from Palmer,.looked  certain goal, .not sure who's watched the game on here tbh 

It was a great save from a situation he helped create. 

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Watch it back. Olsen stops running because Diego indicates he going to take control and well doesn't. He could have still headed it to him.

He really couldn’t. It would have either gone past Olsen towards the goal or got to Olsen when he was out of the box. 

Olsen **** up. And he knows it because he apologised straight away

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Watch it back. Olsen stops running because Diego indicates he going to take control and well doesn't. He could have still headed it to him.

Have to see it again but it looked 100% Carlos at error.

1 minute ago, Nabby said:

Have to see it again but it looked 100% Carlos at error.

I do think Olsen rushes too quick but Diego makes the call and isn't even looking at who is behind them. That's a big defensive error.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Callum said:

Can someone explain why he has to start on Thursday? 

Martinez got a hamstring

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He really couldn’t. It would have either gone past Olsen towards the goal or got to Olsen when he was out of the box. 

Olsen would've just kicked it away if had been headed down towards him. It was a bit of a rash charge out but Carlos still had plenty of time to do better than a blind back header that basically put Chelsea through on goal.

ezgif-3-d89ed03981.gif

Does he rush out? Yes. Does Diego still has time to head that - but he makes a bad defensive judgement. You cannot make a move like that in the middle of your final third. For me, it's more on Diego than the keeper.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Olsen would've just kicked it away if had been headed down towards him. It was a bit of a rash charge out but Carlos still had plenty of time to do better than a blind back header that basically put Chelsea through on goal.

Oh Carlos is at fault too. 100% agree. 

I just think Olsen made it very difficult for him. If Olsen stays back then it’s a very easy header back. Olsen rushing out late meant Carlos had to make a decision he shouldn’t have had to make. And it was a poor one

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not a chance

That's a really simple header 

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

ezgif-3-d89ed03981.gif

Does he rush out? Yes. Does Diego still has time to head that - but he makes a bad defensive judgement. You cannot make a move like that in the middle of your final third. For me, it's more on Diego than the keeper.

But look where Olsen is. Hes outside the box by the time Diego would be heading it. 

That would make it SUCH a risky header. You dont head the ball back to your keeper outside of the area. It’s a very weird situation that Olsen has created. 

Olsen either had to stay in his box so he can receive a very easy header back, OR he has to come out early and clear the ball himself. 

He did neither. Hes in absolute no man’s land. 

Carlos isn’t blameless. It’s still a poor clearance. But Olsen has 100% made that situation far more difficult than it needed to be

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not a chance

That's a really simple header 

Why does Olsen apologise then?

Its not a simple header at all, as per my post above 

If he doesn't want to head it why not pass it to Olsen? Diego's touch was terrible. You don't do that in football at any level - you can't face away from the opposition and make a blind clearance.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

ezgif-3-d89ed03981.gif

i dunno, the keeper is out of the box, any header to the keeper would prob reach him before he could get back in the box, and Olsen isnt exactly agile.

I can see why Carlos didnt head it back to him.

• Like 1

We're a worse team with him in it, but not his fault, Emi is the best goalkeeper in the world and to be honest he did not too much wrong today, Diego Carlos was totally at fault and Olsen's positioning wasn't too bad as he would have been expected to sweep in that high line so was where he'd be expected to be.

Naturally though, we look more shaky without Emi in the team as he brings so much confidence at the back.

6 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

If he doesn't want to head it why not pass it to Olsen? Diego's touch was terrible. You don't do that in football at any level - you can't face away from the opposition and make a blind clearance.

Nobody is excusing Carlos. He **** up. If he can’t head it he should be doing something far better than what he did. Like leathering it clear. Not trying a deft hook to Digne. 

But Olsen 100% made that situation far more difficult than it should have been

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Nobody is excusing Carlos. He **** up. If he can’t head it he should be doing something far better than what he did. Like leathering it clear. Not trying a deft hook to Digne. 

But Olsen 100% made that situation far more difficult than it should have been

I agree that he made it harder. We might disagree on other parts of it, but I appreciate the discussion. This is what football is about - debate and discussion about the good and bad. Will watch it back again tomorrow with some fresh eyes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dunno, the keeper is out of the box, any header to the keeper would prob reach him before he could get back in the box, and Olsen isnt exactly agile.

I can see why Carlos didnt head it back to him.

Me too....

.... but I can't explain what he was thinking with that "clearance".

Bring the ball under control, turn out towards the side line and, if needed, play it long down the line. This isn't hard stuff.

Â