Ings/Watkins together

pete101

Feel like they have individual thread but as a pairing they need one.

It's probably looked it's best between them today and still produced no goals.

For me it one or other and if you asked me at beginning of season is have laughed at that.

They could and should’ve both scored tonight. Don’t mind them playing together when we are limited for options, like we were again tonight. Personally if we are to play one upfront it has to be Watkins for me.

Edited by WHY
  • Like 2

They're playing better together. They're both clearly quality players with different attributes. With Coutinho in the squad now and Bailey to come back to fitness I think it'll be less we see the two of them together

• Like 1

luckily, when Coutinho is here, and Bailey is also fit, add Buendia, and there is literally no reason to play both of them together.

With Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey & Traore vying for the 2 x no.10 slots, that leaves Ings/Watkins to duke it out for the striker role.

Thats just how it should be imo.

I will be very confused if we are still playing them both at the same time once the new players are in, and the rest fit.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I thought tonight they started to click. You could see Ollie and Ings talking to each other more as well. Good to see.

Yeah I thought so to.  Ollie seemed a bit less selfish tonight and not making as many poor decisions which helped, it also meant his good attributes showed.  I thought it was a quieter game for Ings but still getting in and about.  There did seem more of a connection between the front three generally, shame we didn’t score from it but it was more promising.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I thought tonight they started to click. You could see Ollie and Ings talking to each other more as well. Good to see.

Any idea when we're gonna see them actually passing to each other? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Any idea when we're gonna see them actually passing to each other? 

Maybe that's what they were talking about.

Ings: So mate, you ever gonna pass to me... You know.I would have scored that yeah? "

Ollie: " Sure mate, as soon as your hairline passes a rain test. "

Couples therapist n the stands : " The pair of you grow up ffs! "

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thought tonight was the most convincing they’ve looked together, despite lack of goals. Both came very close to scoring twice (each).

I’m still not sure, but I’d like to see a couple more games with them working like this before writing it off.

I think it's worth saying that they aren't playing "together" as a pair of strikers, they're playing together in a team, but the partnership that Watkins would need to get right if you're playing him and Ings is his partnership with Buendia as one of the tens. Ings is playing up front on this own at the moment, then we have a second line, which tonight was Watkins and Buendia, then our three man midfield line.

I think when Coutinho is fit and ready it's a straight forward choice; which of these two do you want playing up front?

I can't see us dropping Buendia to play Watkins as a ten alongside Coutinho.

• Like 2

I know it's unlikely that we'd play it, but I was thinking, with Coutinho coming in and once Bailey's fully fit, the only way we'd see an Ings & Watkins partnership in the future would be in a 352?

Martinez

Mings---Hause---Konsa

Bailey---McGinn---Luiz---Ramsey---Coutinho

Watkins---Ings

Could we ever see this? Possibly with a different CB and/or CM/DM in there? Buendia maybe in the Luiz role or competing with Bailey for that place (or until Bailey is fit)?

(this type of set up maybe?)

GK

CB---CB---CB

RM---DM1---CM---DM2---LM

Watkins---Ings

4 hours ago, 8pints said:

I know it's unlikely that we'd play it, but I was thinking, with Coutinho coming in and once Bailey's fully fit, the only way we'd see an Ings & Watkins partnership in the future would be in a 352?

Martinez

Mings---Hause---Konsa

Watkins---Ings

Could we ever see this? Possibly with a different CB and/or CM/DM in there? Buendia maybe in the Luiz role or competing with Bailey for that place (or until Bailey is fit)?

GK

CB---CB---CB

RM---DM1---CM---DM2---LM

Watkins---Ings

No, we are playing with wing backs 100%

Out defence would be left massively exposed by that team 

• Like 1

Ita not working for me. Watkins simply does not pass the ball to ings and its so frustrating to see him go in deep all the time. Ings at least tries to get the ball forward. If i had to ddop one its watkins. His forms been really disappointing this season.

The problem with Ings and Watkins, is the team has to sacrifice a creative player for one of them. This would be fine if we had lots of creativity in midfield, but we don't. What made it worse last night is Shaw shutdown Cash on the right, and Targett offered nothing going forward on the left. 

Why on earth he won't play Watkins up front, as the far more athletic of the two...and Ings as the 10, as the far better footballer of the two....blows my mind.

It's incredibly obvious, we'd be better off immediately.

If Gerrard is going to be married to any formation, like Smith was to 433, he's got to be willing to switch personnel around.

6 hours ago, 8pints said:

Martinez

Mings---Hause---Konsa

Watkins---Ings

GK

CB---CB---CB

RM---DM1---CM---DM2---LM

Watkins---Ings

Hope not because it's horrible formation with the CBs we have avaliable alone

• Like 1

Â