Ings/Watkins together

pete101

7 minutes ago, kevpants said:

I'm speaking generally and based on watching them for a few seasons rather than this year's stats. It's kind of based on feel, which might be a bit wishy-washy. For example if Ings is played through 1:1 I'm 80% confident he buries it. With Watkins I'm probably 40%. 

Watkins work rate and athleticism are fantastic though. I just want someone clinical in the central striker role.

I would say that whoever you prefer, nine goals between them, at this stage of the season, is not quite enough.

Better assists might help.

20 minutes ago, kevpants said:

Watkins isn't a good enough finisher to command the central striker spot himself. For me it has to be Ings, I just have more confidence in him when he gets a chance vs Watkins trademark slipping while striking the ball and hoping it goes under the bar rather than over it, his ball striking technique is poor.

With Watkins and Buenda behind Ings you get a huge amount of workrate though. Both of them run and press and make a nuisance of themselves. 

Buendia is among the top performers in Pressures, Blocks and Progressive passes. Watkins s at the top of the defensive stats for a forwards too. So you know what you can get from them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Ings so far has been a monumental waste of money. 120 grand a week for a guy which doesn't fit the system and has no resale value. Whoops.

Correct.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Did we do any scouting or just splurged some of the Grealish fee on a high profile player to placate the fan base?

Must have been Purslow. Has to have been. Or if it was Smith, I'm not surprised he got the boot.

If Lange suggested him, I'd like him replaced immediately.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Watkins more dynamic and Ings is the better footballer. They have the skills to work together but seems Ollie is not keen

2nd half last night they finallly looked like they tried to make it work

I don't think Ings is better at ball at his feet at all. Of course there are days when Ollie's technique is horrible but plenty of times last night Ings was leaving simple passes short.

Would be huge frustration to me if Gerrard just spends the rest of the season attempting what DS did and trying to shoehorn both into the team.

Our best spell of the season came when Ings went off v brighton. We had a strong finish to the game and then played very well at Palace, Man. City (second half) and Leicester. Ings didn't play a single minute in any of those.

He does have resale value, just not at what we signed him for. Still think if we offered him to Brighton for 20m they'd sign him up no problem as that's exactly the type of CF they need.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Correct.

Must have been Purslow. Has to have been. Or if it was Smith, I'm not surprised he got the boot.

If Lange suggested him, I'd like him replaced immediately.

No way Smith wanted him. He loved Ollie and this has shunted him out of position. He also preferred young players with smaller reputations in which he could coach them.

8 hours ago, jimmygreaves said:

Ings doesn't work hard enough, and he isn't a potent enough goal threat to justify the lack of application.

He needs the whole attack to be geared around his game for him to be effective. If he bangs in 25+ goals year after year then fair enough.... but he doesn't.

The majority of the time he's a passenger. He's so hyped and overrated by some of the posters on here it's unbelievable.

Maybe it works with Ings ahead of Buendia and Coutinho, we'll see.

Watkins is clearly a significantly better forward. He contributes all over the pitch. He holds the ball up well, he has pace so he offers a threat behind defences. He's a solid out-ball for the team if required. Oh, and he gets a decent amount of goals and assists too.

It's a non argument, they don't play together well and one offers significantly more to the team than the other.

It's Watkins all day for me with Ings on the bench.

I agree with the Watkins all day for me sentiment. As I too agree so far, Ollie has been easily better than Ings. 

In fact I'd say Ings is only starting right now because of injury and reputation. He has been a passenger in EVERY game he has played for us. Fortunately he has scored a couple of goals, otherwise we would be calling him a massive flop at this point in time.

I have to admit though I do feel like Ings is the more clinical finisher. Ollie obviously offers more to the team with his general play. Ings needs to improve massively if he wants to be a regular starter in this team.

I won't go so far as saying Ollie is significantly better. Ings is a proven 20 goal a season striker when in form and playing regularly. Ollie is capable of that I believe, but he hasn't done it yet.

Ultimately Ings was not a wise signing in the first place. The age, fee, wages, and that we already had a very good striker made Ings a luxury. However we can't afford luxuries at our current level.

• Like 1

They were playing better together yesterday. No reason why this shouldn't get much much better as they are both great players. I do wonder though if Ollie has been having a bit of a sulk over the purchase of Ings. He needs to get his head down and concentrate on being more decisive in front of goal.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong second half but today is last time I want to see them starting together all season unless it's v Burnley or Norwich when we'll largely dominate.

Can't see how it won't be either as Buendia is really warming up so makes little sense to drop him once Coutinho is ready to start matches. Don't think going 4-2-2-2 is good idea either unless the DM we sign is N'Golo Kante standard.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

This might not be a popular opinion, but I think Watkins has been a passenger most of the season. Hasn’t provided much

I tend to agree. This summer a number of our current squad will come under SG’s spotlight. Don’t be surprised if both Ings and Watkins are questioned along with Mings.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

I tend to agree. This summer a number of our current squad will come under SG’s spotlight. Don’t be surprised if both Ings and Watkins are questioned along with Mings.

Just watched Sanson - good look at our midfield needed?

26 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

This might not be a popular opinion, but I think Watkins has been a passenger most of the season. Hasn’t provided much

Ings hasn't been any better. Two ~£30m strikers, and they're both underperforming massively.

Â