Lucas Digne

villan-scott

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Yeah but he’s dogshit, people have spoken! 

He's really not that bad at all. Had a pretty good career when you take long term view.

Mind you we all know being Villa left back is a Bermuda triangle, I thought Neil Taylor would be a top signing five years ago and we've had plenty worse than him since Bouma did his leg.

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Of course if it makes Targett better then im all for it but for ne strengthening the squad is to really upgrade on Targett

True, Traore was that for his position and he is now but for his first few months our existing players arguably kept him out by being much better. Aided by his first injury which kept him out for a bit and then they either got injured or went crap themselves. 

Targett was actually brilliant for the first six months of last season, and even after Jack was injured I thought he coped very well with having no outlet in front of him 

7 minutes ago, ejvilla said:

2nd choice fullback for France, he'll want to push Hernandez for a spot at the world cup. 3rd ranked team in the world at the moment. 

Would love to see a stats comparison with the best left backs in the league. Suspect he's up there. None of us would've been surprised if Chelsea signed him with Chilwell out, and am sure he'd do very well in that side.

His stats will be impacted by the team he plays in. Tagliafico looks amazing... but his stats are from playing with a generally dominant Ajax side. Not sure how you normalise a players stats to account for being in the best team or being in a lesser league.

Hickey's a project. Digne's a full international at or very close to career peak. 

Is there a better LB that we could've signed?

Feels a bit like stars are aligning... barca's money problems, agent Rafa... and we're quietly building a very competitive squad with some fantastic home grown youngsters coming through... just need to win some more matches. If we could nick a European place, we could justify a big squad and keep Targett as a very solid option.

Yet, the majority of Everton fans that I've read comments from seem to think he's been crap for the last 18 months and he's on monster wages. If true, I'd rather us have made do with Targett for now and seal the deal for Hickey in the summer. 

There is no doubt that a few seasons ago he was flying and one of the best lbs in the country. Not sure what has happened this season. It does seem a big change in direction from our owners of bringing through younger players with sell on potential and the reported £25m does seem high cost. But like coutinho, if we can get him back to his best, we will have a very top player on our hands.

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Yet, the majority of Everton fans that I've read comments from seem to think he's been crap for the last 18 months and he's on monster wages. If true, I'd rather us have made do with Targett for now and seal the deal for Hickey in the summer. 

They are just p***** Digne wants out and possibly to us...

Just now, mikeyp102 said:

There is no doubt that a few seasons ago he was flying and one of the best lbs in the country. Not sure what has happened this season. It does seem a big change in direction from our owners of bringing through younger players with sell on potential and the reported £25m does seem high cost. But like coutinho, if we can get him back to his best, we will have a very top player on our hands.

Rafa happened and his defensive philosophy disagreed with Digne's natural style?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

We can still get a Hickey type in the summer and then rotate next season with Digne.

I think Gerrard has quickly concluded Targett is a liability, not good enough with crosses into the box which is undeniable and vulnerable defensively if he dosen't start well in a game.

I think Targett will be sold in the summer. Some will probably see that as harsh but would hint at Gerrard's ruthless nature.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

I don't know, but I imagine fans of the most successful clubs don't get too sentimental about replacing good servants with upgrades. A mindset shift we will need. Few, if any of these lads will be here when we're winning the league. 

Spending $25m to bring in a proven and experienced player to compete with a 26 year-old who only has one great season of PL football makes sense.

That's what we did with Danny Ings.

Glad to see us follow the same idea here.

16 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

image.thumb.png.b95490fca5b27dd9ac7765ee6da55f09.png

image.thumb.png.f988bf159bf03d455694613c4b6af18b.png

I think, if motivated he can offer a lot more going forward than Targett plus he’s another option for set pieces, I think he’s scored a few free kicks for Everton.

Worried obviously by his temperament and application given his past 12-18 months or so but Everton have been on a wayward journey for years and he may just be disillusioned there, being reinvigorated here (or elsewhere) might draw out his best again during what should be his peak years.

Â