Lucas Digne

villan-scott

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

The panic about signing a few older players, Grealish jumped ship because he wasn’t patient enough to hang about to see where the project is took us, we have plenty of young talent who are worth double what we paid for them, but getting a few established player through the door to really push for European football makes sense,  if we don’t get into  Europe sooner rather than later Konsa leaves ,  Martinez then another and another, we might replace them for half the value and have another good player on our hands and helps us maintain our mid table status until he leaves for European football, we have to break that cycle that we are here just to participate and feed the big boys and show that we are here to take their place.

Spot on. This describes the big picture being followed by our owners.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KMitch said:

r/everton is in full meltdown mode right now.  Rafa selling him for peanuts because he's petty has them pissed right off.  Most of their fans really rate Digne.  The ones who don't are trying to justify it with "If he's going to Villa and not a bigger club, he isn't as good as you all are making him out to be."

So they’re saying we’re doing a Fulham?  Soon people will realise we’re doing a Villa and they’ll wish they could do a Villa too. Take it as read that Sky and the BBC football pundits will be the last to cotton on, especially Alan Shearer who is going through several shades of hell right now. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

So they’re saying we’re doing a Fulham?  Soon people will realise we’re doing a Villa and they’ll wish they could do a Villa too. Take it as read that Sky and the BBC football pundits will be the last to cotton on, especially Alan Shearer who is going through several shades of hell right now. 

Watch the narrative change to "How can they afford this with FFP regulations?  They must be breaking the rules in some way..."

• Like 1

Just now, a m ole said:

Owned by literal Saudi Arabia and they’re that salty about being able to spend money?

Just for a second, a second, imagine being an actual supporter of Newcastle United. 

They have every right to be salty. Its Newcastle United. 

• Like 1

One or two players brought in who are pushing 30 is fine, particularly if they’re considered one of the better players from their respective teams which by the sounds of it is the case with Digne (and it was the case with Ings).

If it makes people feel happier about his age, Digne is about 15 months older than John McGinn.*

It does seem like they’re “going for it” this season in terms of trying to qualify for Europe. I think there will still be an onus on younger players, but sprinkled with some more experienced heads.

*I suspect that will have the opposite affect to what I wanted and people will start looking at McGinn as someone who’s probably considering purchasing a walk in bath in the near future.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Owned by literal Saudi Arabia and they’re that salty about being able to spend money?

I'd love to reply to that comment and say "it would be more expensive to pay 200k a week and finish in the Championship". 😂

31 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Pretty sure if we pull off Digne and Bissouma or Aaron Ramsey on loan, the club's leadership is looking to try to gatecrash the Europa League places this season.  

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Digne

McGinn - Douglas Luiz - Ramsey/Bissouma

Buendia - Ings/Watkins - Coutinho

Wow...  This squad will terrorize teams if we can get firing on all cylinders.  What a time to be a Villa fan!  

Bailey ?

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Bailey ?

I'm still not convinced he actually plays for us...  Just a figment of my imagination, streaking onto the pitch from the bench from time to time, just to do his hamstring in, and I snap back to reality...  🤣

• Haha 1

My son has just come in and told me that it is a done deal subject to medical, he got this from the same bloke who announced Cortino on one of the social media things

8 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Watch the narrative change to "How can they afford this with FFP regulations?  They must be breaking the rules in some way..."

Yes. It starts off with humour then it becomes more nastier and the allegations of breaching FFP start coming. Bring it on. 

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

My son has just come in and told me that it is a done deal subject to medical, he got this from the same bloke who announced Cortino on one of the social media things

It's spelt Cortina, and we don't comment on the Small Heath transfer incomings...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Its not where I would have gone in terms of direction - if have gone young back up to slowly overtake targett

But what do I know, the men running the club have gone for a ready now signing... And with that in mind yeah not a clue how you can moan about signing him, he's an upgrade on Targett no doubt and could come relatively cheap

The problem is, Targett isn't the right player for the system we want to use now. And the full back position is fundamental to that system.

So why not bring in Digne, move Targett on and develop a younger player to eventually overtake Digne? That seems like something an ambitious club would do and I'm not about to complain about my club being ambitious. 

• Like 3

Â