Lucas Digne

villan-scott

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This! Obviously you’re taking the piss a bit but France are better than England and let’s face it, Targett hasn’t even had a sniff at getting in the England squad. 

40 odd caps for France is very impressive.

He is approaching the end of his France career though. Theo has finally got his debut and Ferland Mendy will probably junp ahead of him soon with Lucas in the picture

Don't know why so many people are getting on Matt Targets back, I think he's been an excellent signing from where we were to where we are now, he was our player of the season last year as well.

You need 2 good players for each position these days, so I welcome this addition.. but perplexed to read so many saying we should sell Targett in the summer

I certainly feel more comfortable when he crosses the ball than when Matty Cash does from the other side.

Maybe I think hes a lot better than he actually is because he replaced Taylor, who I 100% believe is the worst regular left back we've had since I started following Villa in the late 80s.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Sometimes its not about resale value to be an excellent piece of business. 

Gerrards system requires full backs that can get up and down the pitch and can assist.  Targett is neither of those things. Digne is both. 

My issue is i dont think Digne is dynamic enough to get up and down the pitch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Maybe I think hes a lot better than he actually is because he replaced Taylor, who I 100% believe is the worst regular left back we've had since I started following Villa in the late 80s.

I agreed with everything until this bit. Neil Taylor sadly might not even make the top 5 worst Villa left backs in the last 15 years 😂

Just now, Zatman said:

I agreed with everything until this bit. Neil Taylor sadly might not even make the top 5 worst Villa left backs in the last 15 years 😂

Taylor for me was a average defender but as a attacking lb he was certainly the worst!

From a defensive point of view he wouldnt be in the worst 5 i agree.

Really like Digne, my only reservation is that both Coutinho and Digne seem to be   short term team upgrades. I think it’s a given that they make the team and squad better, but I worry it may mean that Gerrard is maybe looking at the short term. That’s fine I guess but it does little to pacify those that see Gerrard’s approach as a job interview for redscouse.

Again nothing specifically wrong with that, but if it’s at the expense of our academy players (which i’m not saying it is, but just following through with the logic) then we may not be on as sound a footing after he leaves as some are assuming.

Hope this is all nonsense, but it’s a niggling feeling.

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Don't know why so many people are getting on Matt Targets back, I think he's been an excellent signing from where we were to where we are now, he was our player of the season last year as well.

You need 2 good players for each position these days, so I welcome this addition.. but perplexed to read so many saying we should sell Targett in the summer

I certainly feel more comfortable when he crosses the ball than when Matty Cash does from the other side.

Certainly not worst full back. I remember Gary Charles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Really like Digne, my only reservation is that both Coutinho and Digne seem to be   short term team upgrades. I think it’s a given that they make the team and squad better, but I worry it may mean that Gerrard is maybe looking at the short term. That’s fine I guess but it does little to pacify those that see Gerrard’s approach as a job interview for redscouse.

Again nothing specifically wrong with that, but if it’s at the expense of our academy players (which i’m not saying it is, but just following through with the logic) then we may not be on as sound a footing after he leaves as some are assuming.

The thing is if digne and coutinho deliver Europe  or even a trophy it would be all worth it.

6 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Sometimes its not about resale value to be an excellent piece of business. 

Gerrards system requires full backs that can get up and down the pitch and can assist.  Targett is neither of those things. Digne is both. 

Think Gerrard's system requires short term results. It's an open secret he has his eye on another job.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

The thing is if digne and coutinho deliver Europe  or even a trophy it would be all worth it.

Thing is being realistic - I don't think either is on the cards this season. 

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The modern game doesn't really allow you to plan too far in advance in terms of the first team. Shelf-life for players and managers is short, so it's important that we blend signings that make a difference to this season and next with players that form the core of the team. 

Given that the average tenure of a PL manager is just 2 years, we can't always plan with resale and the future in mind. That said, neither Coutinho or Digne are old but similarly, if they were 25 again, we'd have no chance of getting them in their prime. To balance, we have JJ, Chuck, JPB, Konsa, Luiz, Watkins, Buendia, Bailey and others that I've probably forgotten to counter established pros like Martinez, Mings, McGinn, Ings and the new guys. 

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is approaching the end of his France career though. Theo has finally got his debut and Ferland Mendy will probably junp ahead of him soon with Lucas in the picture

France have a lot of talent. To even be in contention is an achievement. If he impresses he may get his place back. 

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

This! Obviously you’re taking the piss a bit but France are better than England and let’s face it, Targett hasn’t even had a sniff at getting in the England squad. 

40 odd caps for France is very impressive.

It isn't about what he has done in the past it's about what he can offer right now.

Is he still at the same level as previous seasons? Only time will tell.

For a team like us, it's all about fine margins. There's been a few occasions is recent games where the ball has gone out wide to Targett and there's been a relatively easy cross on for someone to tap in, but he's fluffed his lines. A better full back bags an assist there and we potentially win games. Seeing as Gerrards system is so reliant on fullbacks pushing forward, it doesn't shock me we're trying to replace Targett. Who for the most part has also been an excellent signing, but he just doesn't fit in with Gerrards system that well. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

Â