Lucas Digne

villan-scott

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

My issue is i dont think Digne is dynamic enough to get up and down the pitch. 

Our highly paid top professional recruitment team with super  advanced analytical abilities obviously think different. 

• Like 3

Target was flattered by his link up play with grealish last season, his final ball has always been awful though. Gerrard probably can’t believe his luck getting Digne who seems to be perfect for the way he wants to play.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s 28, why wouldn’t he be?

I don't know what his injury history is like but there are different factors that can add to the decline of a player.

Anyways I'll reserve my judgement until I can properly watch him and analyze him.

Edited by villalad21

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I agreed with everything until this bit. Neil Taylor sadly might not even make the top 5 worst Villa left backs in the last 15 years 😂

I did say regular, as in someone who spent at least half a season as first choice.. who do you think he's better than?

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I don't know what his injury history is like but there are different factors that can add to the decline of a player.

Just read what Everton fans think. They aren’t happy and want Rafa out.

We’re not signing a player that is surplus to requirements like Targett was. We are signing one of their best players and one of the best full backs in the league.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

For a team like us, it's all about fine margins. There's been a few occasions is recent games where the ball has gone out wide to Targett and there's been a relatively easy cross on for someone to tap in, but he's fluffed his lines. A better full back bags an assist there and we potentially win games. Seeing as Gerrards system is so reliant on fullbacks pushing forward, it doesn't shock me we're trying to replace Targett. Who for the most part has also been an excellent signing, but he just doesn't fit in with Gerrards system that well. 

tenor.gif

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

As it stands PC is only here for this season though.

Regardless it shows our ambition to other players that we can get players of the calibre of coutinho. 

We have come a long way since signing players like ross mcmormack and josh onomah

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

When we were going off fans opinion on Traore that wasn't valid on here by some.

But now it is?

Of course it was valid. Fans just said to those criticising him, how about give him a chance.  The same now applies for Digne, how about giving him a chance ?

Why am I even entertaining 🤦🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

22 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Sometimes its not about resale value to be an excellent piece of business. 

Gerrards system requires full backs that can get up and down the pitch and can assist.  Targett is neither of those things. Digne is both. 

That would be an acquisition rather than business. 

I know it sounds pedantic but its this bit I'm struggling with in this deal. I cant help feeling that we are heading down a path that could prove financially problematic 

• Like 2

Just now, Eidolon said:

Some people are so determined to be absolute miseries on here hey 😂 if signing Coutinho and Digne isn’t good enough for some people I have no idea what they expect

Some folks are concerned about signing older players on high wages with good reasons when you look at the state Everton find themselves in.

Targett and Digne are an excellent choice at LB for a squad that wants to go places. Targett will react positively I am sure, Villa is his home now, and if anything I can see his game going up a notch - he has been doing very well considering he's had no competition for his spot already.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

For a team like us, it's all about fine margins. There's been a few occasions is recent games where the ball has gone out wide to Targett and there's been a relatively easy cross on for someone to tap in, but he's fluffed his lines. A better full back bags an assist there and we potentially win games. Seeing as Gerrards system is so reliant on fullbacks pushing forward, it doesn't shock me we're trying to replace Targett. Who for the most part has also been an excellent signing, but he just doesn't fit in with Gerrards system that well. 

I don't believe that Targett doesn't fit in Gerrard's system. He's a different type of left back, but that doesn't mean he can't work. His best run of form this season imo actually coincided with Gerrard first coming in.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

Some people are so determined to be absolute miseries on here hey 😂 if signing Coutinho and Digne isn’t good enough for some people I have no idea what they expect

We expect to be sign Salah, but he must only be aged 25 max, cost less than £30m and be paid no more than £80k per week.

Actually forget that, we’ve got enough wide forwards.

Edited by fightoffyour

10 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I did say regular, as in someone who spent at least half a season as first choice.. who do you think he's better than?

Cissokho, Richardson, Bennett, Luna all seemed to be first choice for a while. If not including first choice I wont include Nicky Shorey then 

It has been a stellar position for us 🤮🤮🤮

24 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Really like Digne, my only reservation is that both Coutinho and Digne seem to be   short term team upgrades. I think it’s a given that they make the team and squad better, but I worry it may mean that Gerrard is maybe looking at the short term. That’s fine I guess but it does little to pacify those that see Gerrard’s approach as a job interview for redscouse.

Again nothing specifically wrong with that, but if it’s at the expense of our academy players (which i’m not saying it is, but just following through with the logic) then we may not be on as sound a footing after he leaves as some are assuming.

Hope this is all nonsense, but it’s a niggling feeling.

He's 28, and will still be 28 when the season ends.. he's 15 months older than McGinn for crying out loud. Why are people talking like we're signing a 35 year old?

Â