Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Did we expand VP while I was distracted? :D 

Nope, but we'll be doing so imminently, with every chance those plans will be revealed this month. If he stays three or four seasons, he'll play in front of 50,000.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Coutinho and bailey feeding ollie/ings

Its mouth watering stuff

I think Bailey will be a flop in one of those 10 roles tbh. I think Coutinho / Buendia will work lovely, both have great ball retention and are very creative. 

I do wonder with Carney if he's best as a box to box 8 when we get a top class no6 or if he's meant for one of the 10 roles. 

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

A brilliant signing and hopefully a player that's going to be brilliant for us too!

I think you can almost take those two things as separate pieces of good news.

Firstly, the player; playing for a manager he knows well and has a really good relationship with, at a club where hopefully he'll settle and feel appreciated, in front of 50,000 fans that will adore him, I'm really hopeful we might see him have a wonderful few years here where he's close to the heights of his very best. If he hits those peaks, he can pull the club up the league into the kind of places we'd consider a success. He can play in Europe for Villa. I think there's also the great option for him of three or four years at Villa Park and a couple in Las Vegas to round off his career, it might sound flippant, but we're building a structure that can offer a bit more to players than we've offered in the past. I think he fits perfectly into our system and offers a natural foil for Buendia - he'll be excellent at making holes for Ramsey and McGinn to run into and in helping us ping about those little triangles in midfield that are going to open teams up - he's got goals in him, he sees movement on the pitch and he takes a mean free kick - he's going to add a whole lot to our attacking play. I can't wait to see him in the shirt.

Secondly, this signing and just what it says about us is a great bit of news. The cart is on its side and there are apples everywhere. Right now in Spain there are loads of football fans googling our squad, our ground, our league position - trying to figure out who we are - perhaps becoming aware of the 'project'. An awful lot of people in South America are learning the words Edens and Sawiris. They'll have broken out the bubbly at Cazoo HQ and will be doing a little dance, emergency meetings will be taking place at Sky as they try to figure out what went wrong, it's a transfer that whispers the words 'Aston Vila' into half a billion ears and it has the potential to be transformative for the club. Other clubs in the Premier league, players around Europe, agents everywhere will be wondering if they need to reassess how they feel about us, about this curious mid-to-lower-half of the table also ran with the wealthy owners. This transfer, and maybe others, followed in the near future by the reveal of the the stadium expansion, and the announcement of the Las Vegas franchise, and whatever else this wonderful ownership group has lined up has us ready to change the way football thinks about Aston Villa.

Big steps.

Welcome Phil, you have chosen wisely!

And I thought I was buzzing *before* reading this post! Nailed it. Lock the thread.

• Like 1

I do feel we are at the point where the Premier League becomes totally dominant league in world football. We can really tap into a large fan base in USA, especially with the Vegas branch of the tree. I think over the years the increased revenues of the Premier League will close the gap with the Big 4 CL teams. With some smart updating to the Premier League FFP it will make the league more competitive. 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I do feel we are at the point where the Premier League becomes totally dominant league in world football. We can really tap into a large fan base in USA, especially with the Vegas branch of the tree. I think over the years the increased revenues of the Premier League will close the gap with the Big 4 CL teams. With some smart updating to the Premier League FFP it will make the league more competitive. 

Dominant in terms of viewership or competing for Champions Leagues titles?

32 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

This is correct. Other prime ages include 19, 23, 31 and 37.

That is literally what I meant.

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Nope, but we'll be doing so imminently, with every chance those plans will be revealed this month. If he stays three or four seasons, he'll play in front of 50,000.

We’ll fill 60,000 easy when word gets out about Scarlett’s imminent arrival.

Edited by fightoffyour

3 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Dominant in terms of viewership or competing for Champions Leagues titles?

Viewership and commercial value. I imagine when the Prem sets up its own streaming service ala Netflix it can get to a level of revenue where the CL money the top 4 get only gives them a smaller edge financially over the rest of the League.

I am sure a salary cap will come in at some point based on revenue. 

14 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Just watching some YouTube (of course) and surprised at the number of screamers he has scored for Barcelona considering the deal “hasn’t worked out” - I guess £140m is just a fortune though isn’t it…

Granted, Barcelona just came off probably the most successful 20 year period a European club has ever experienced and when you're supposed to be replacing Neymar/Suarez/Messi and not performing at a 9/10 every single night, you're a failure.  It's a bit how some Villa fans are already writing off Buendia as not being good enough because he hasn't been performing better than Grealish every night.  

26 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The deal came with a section of the Nou Camp, Barca don’t really know what they’re doing.

So the people suggesting this was right all along.

Surreal photos of Russian stadium that added seats OUTSIDE THE ARENA to be  World Cup compliant - SBNation.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â