Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Just now, sidcow said:

What problem has he been? Like everyone else looked lost under Gerrard. Had a long injury layoff.  Never complained, never been anything less than a exemplary squad member. 

You're totally right, his personality is a perfect model pro but he was part of the problem not through is own fault but because Gerrard kept playing him when he clearly was in shite form.

Being part of the problem isn't the same as being a word removed 

16 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Staying and being fit is my main worry with Phil.

When he's on it though, he can be sublime.

There was a little ring rust today, a few over weighted passes and through balls, but he was still very good. He doesn’t have much pace anymore but in a deeper role could be lethal. I reckon he might work best in free role behind Ollie and Diaby, but Unai knows what’s best.

Followed up his encouraging cameo against Lazio with a really good performance in that second-half against Valencia.

Got an assist and looked pretty sharp all-round...

He may have passed an overhit pass to Philogene yet you could perhaps say more accurately that Philogene was a little slow to read it otherwise he was in on goal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Staying and being fit is my main worry with Phil.

When he's on it though, he can be sublime.

He has had probably 3 games for us when he was on it. He has played 40 games for us

Coutinho from Liverpool is not coming back, I am sorry I wish he was but its not happening. If we draw some Armenian team and he gets a goal it doesn't change anything

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has had probably 3 games for us when he was on it. He has played 40 games for us

Coutinho from Liverpool is not coming back, I am sorry I wish he was but its not happening. If we draw some Armenian team and he gets a goal it doesn't change anything

What if it’s the winning goal and it means we go through to the next phase of the Conference? I guess that might mean  a teensy smidgeon??

I think your post prior to this one was very revealing, You are still in a blinding and all consuming rage about Gerrard and maybe you can’t separate Coutinho from Gerrard in your mind. You can’t grasp the Coutinho is now playing under Unai Emery and is starting to look a bit good.

I think we all understand this and will make allowance as the season goes on. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I think with him back to fitness now it kinda makes sense offers would come. The Barcelona sell in clause is an important factor here. Is it really a 50% of the price or something like of the potential profit. Always seemed an odd one that

If true, then it is probably why we got him at around £18m and not the £33m we were supposedly going to have to originally pay Barca IIRC.

So it's perhaps why this apparent clause was added in instead?

If he is staying because nobody comes in with a profitable deal for him then fine, I hope we can get some form and consistency from him. But really, if we do get a good offer and he is willing to go (which I think will be the biggest sticking point) then we need to bite their hand off.  Biggest downside to selling him would be that Dougie would be gutted, seems to idolise him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villan-scott said:

Please stay fit Phil 🙏💫

Was going to post this, thanks for putting it up. My stand out from the match, he was superb.

If he plays like this under Emery he could be a huge asset, he is on another level to most even if the legs aren’t quite there, but our system doesn’t need him to have the legs.

I would say if we were offered £20m I would be content if we replaced him with Doku, who in many ways is similar to this, but younger and still improving.

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 1

He is the perfect player to bring on against tired legs.  Not likely to play 90 mins in the Prem.

Might start a few cup games.

Great guy great attitude and hopefully over his injuries.  

Speed of thought and weight of pass I don't think he has lost any of that.  Pace yes and confidence for sure.

Confidence is coming back though and if he stays The Don will know how to use him.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

You're totally right, his personality is a perfect model pro but he was part of the problem not through is own fault but because Gerrard kept playing him when he clearly was in shite form.

Being part of the problem isn't the same as being a word removed 

The same could be said for Mcginn..... He's bounced back alright. The return to form is a pleasant surprise. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Given his age, his contract, his wages, his fitness and his injury record, if an offer comes in for him where we can avoid making a loss and maybe even a few quid, we should get rid.

Anyone who thinks he isn’t our best ‘footballer’ though is kidding themselves. He’s a wonderfully gifted player with incredible technique when he’s fit and firing. Unfortunately, that’s not very often at all so the club needs to be pragmatic and do the right thing if somebody tables a decent bid and he’s happy to move on. 

The only thing I will say is that he seems to be a very popular member of the squad - and that sort of thing is priceless if he can play a part in a European campaign too (which I think he probably can tbh).

Â