Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

If he's on the rumoured £125k a week - £6.5m a year - then I think him going would be great.
He's little more than a name now - injury prone, and too anonymous in most games. 
Unai is a magician - not a miracle worker. I don't doubt that he would still have moments of magic over the next couple of seasons - but not enough for that outlay.

If we can mug them of £10m for the privilege, then thank you very much. 

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We'll need him for Europe. Don't sell unless we recoup our 17m or better.

If we were to sell him, I bet we will get a cheaper option that can do just as good of a job in Europe. If we are playing Juventus in the semis, I highly doubt Coutinho would be starting that anyway. 

• Like 1

ugh Im such an unrealistic optimistic fool that I kinda want Phil to stay and be amazing again. It'll probably be a long time until we get another player in our squad with the sheer level of skill he possesses. Deep down I know he's done but im still clinging to a little bit of hope

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

If we were to sell him, I bet we will get a cheaper option that can do just as good of a job in Europe. If we are playing Juventus in the semis, I highly doubt Coutinho would be starting that anyway. 

Good point. But he's already on the books, a year into his contract. Could factor into FFP, though I'm not sure. Plus, I don't really see too many players under £17m being as good as him, that's chump change nowadays. I think Emery can get enough of a tune out of him that he washes whatever 4th place Slovakian side we come up against in the early rounds 

• Like 1

Given that most, if not all, of our players improved under Unai, I would like to see what Phil has left in the tank. The player that arrived and made such an impact wasn't immune to the  massive regression suffered by others as Gerrard's tactics took hold.

However, maybe he has lost it?? Don Unai will know if he still thinks Phil can play a role next season.

With his status in the dressing room, and the fact that he seems to be a thoroughly decent character, I'd like to see him stay.

Edited by StanBalaban
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We'll need him for Europe. Don't sell unless we recoup our 17m or better.

Those wages of £170pw (if true) would go a long way to finding a replacement mate. 

Get his remaining book value and send him on the first plane to Saudi.

Lovely guy but if we can get his wages off the books that gives us huge flexibility to reward existing players like Watkins and Mcginn with new contracts and to bring in a genuine word class player. 

Said at the time Barcelona saw us coming. They had absolutely no takers for him and we still paid a fee. They would have let us take him on loan again

Seems a great guy but he would struggle get game timeome in a top 10 European league

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Good point. But he's already on the books, a year into his contract. Could factor into FFP, though I'm not sure. Plus, I don't really see too many players under £17m being as good as him, that's chump change nowadays. I think Emery can get enough of a tune out of him that he washes whatever 4th place Slovakian side we come up against in the early rounds 

Stevenage say hi.

In a team including Olsen, Bednarek, Chamber and Augustinssen (and Sanson and Dendoncker), - he still got the joint lowest player rating on the day. 

I doubt little Phil will fancy Saudi unless the cash on offer is ridiculous. I kind of want to see him succeed at Villa but do accept that if he moves on, it may be good for all parties. It will be interesting to see what happens.

15 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Stevenage say hi.

In a team including Olsen, Bednarek, Chamber and Augustinssen (and Sanson and Dendoncker), - he still got the joint lowest player rating on the day. 

Wasn't that his first game back from injury?

You could point to Arsenal and City a few weeks later for his good performances.

• Like 1

Â