Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

9 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Not ideal tbh, we will need to write off his remaining book value, which means taking immediate £8.5m PSR loss...but I guess if he didn't want to go anywhere else, he left us with no choice really.

Well, I guess the choice was to let him rot in the reserves. I'm glad on a human level we took the high road, but from a PSR perspective it's really bad and presumably increases the likelihood of needing to sell one of everyone's faves. 

Just now, CarryOnVilla said:

To allow this PSR hit does suggest things ain’t as squeaky as we may fear

tbf that is a more positive possible interpretation as well. Not sure how, but then I do struggle to follow these calculations. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Not ideal tbh, we will need to write off his remaining book value, which means taking immediate £8.5m PSR loss...but I guess if he didn't want to go anywhere else, he left us with no choice really.

Is that not offset by his seeming willingness to forego any payments due to him from his existing contract with us? Or have I read/interpreted that wrongly?

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

tbf that is a more positive possible interpretation as well. Not sure how, but then I do struggle to follow these calculations. 

I do too, I have no idea of the dark arts book keeping, but from what I gather… it’s saving us money on the long run, but a bigger hit right now

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I do too, I have no idea of the dark arts book keeping, but from what I gather… it’s saving us money on the long run, but a bigger hit right now

Could be? The numbers that seem to be being batted around are an £8.5m hit now in PSR from remaining non-amortised value, versus around £7m in wages we presumably won't need to pay over the next two years. However, perhaps the latter number could be higher than the former if he was playing and picking up bonuses etc?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Could be? The numbers that seem to be being batted around are an £8.5m hit now in PSR from remaining non-amortised value, versus around £7m in wages we presumably won't need to pay over the next two years. However, perhaps the latter number could be higher than the former if he was playing and picking up bonuses etc?

Yeah that’s how I’m seeing it too. 

we were always destined to lose that £8.5m (because we wasn’t going to sell him), but now we are at least saving on his wages 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Is that not offset by his seeming willingness to forego any payments due to him from his existing contract with us? Or have I read/interpreted that wrongly?

Yes, long term it will be. But if we release him now the hit will go on this seasons accounts, which are already stretched.

Better option would be another loan, where somebody else keeps paying his wages and we don't have to take whole £8.5m hit at once (instead we amortise it over next 2 seasons).

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 2

Well we would have had £4.25 amortisation this coming season anyway, so it’s only an extra £4.25m coming due earlier. 

Plus the £7m in wages saved this coming season.

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Well we would have had £4.25 amortisation this coming season anyway, so it’s only an extra £4.25m coming due earlier. 

Plus the £7m in wages saved this coming season.

Problem is this season 23/24, if the termination happens before end of June.

We will have amortised £4.25m plus £8.5m write off on top of that. So he will "contribute" almost £13m to this seasons PSR calculation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

not the best for PSR taking a full 8.5m loss in one go instead of over 2 seasons. But maybe 7m in salary nobody could pay more than 4-5m of that. 

I'm sure they've got it covered off or they wouldn't be doing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Yeah I think we might feel nobody will pay his 7m salary on loan. It's possible maybe 4m was most the offers we had would pay for his salary.

So it would be a 7.25m loss in that case for the season. So a deal to terminate is preferable in that scenario. 

It is what it is. At least we can have it resolved 

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

Problem is this season 23/24, if the termination happens before end of June.

We will have amortised £4.25m plus £8.5m write off on top of that. So he will "contribute" almost £13m to this seasons PSR calculation.

Unless we have already impaired his valuation in a prior year and take the hit then.

We want to Barca and won the league in Spain

we went to Germany and did the same again

He’s on massive wages and don’t you **** know

gerrard should buy him, but I bet he **** won’t

de de de de etc

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Unless we have already impaired his valuation in a prior year and take the hit then.

I checked, we didn't. There was no impairment charges in our 22/23 accounts.

• Thanks 1

Â