Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Out for season villa have confirmed

Thats gotta be his time up at villa now surely 

Needs to be moved on now. Hasn't worked here for either party really.

He's only 30 and seems so suited to the control game Emery wants to play. If he can keep fit he could be very useful still, he might want to go back to Brazil but I don't mind him being here next year.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

People hoping he'll move to Saudi Arabia are probably going to be disappointed.  He looks quite settled here with his family; I can't see him moving them to Saudi Arabia.

Nor can I. I'd never move there, not even for the money they'll offer him, given the amount he has already in the bank. 

25 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

He's only 30 and seems so suited to the control game Emery wants to play. If he can keep fit he could be very useful still, he might want to go back to Brazil but I don't mind him being here next year.

Yep, we haven't seen him under Emery. If Emery doesn't fancy him then fair enough, but if he can get a tune out of him then what a joy that would be. The cliché new signing.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, duke313 said:

People hoping he'll move to Saudi Arabia are probably going to be disappointed.  He looks quite settled here with his family; I can't see him moving them to Saudi Arabia.

Agree, he'll be Micah Richards MK II just injured all the time on a big wage and end up being hated by the fans which for someone who has been one of the best in the world at a point in time is a shame.

19 hours ago, rbcuk said:

Think that will be the end of him here, just hope we get a decent fee for him in the summer 

You must be joking with the wedge he is earning here and 3 years left on it. Loan at best with a substantial payment towards his wage.

This decade's David Ginola.

18 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Agree, he'll be Micah Richards MK II just injured all the time on a big wage and end up being hated by the fans which for someone who has been one of the best in the world at a point in time is a shame.

Nothing makes me feel less a true fan than realizing I don’t and likely won’t ever “hate” Coutinho. I still hope working with Emery he can be a useful role player here, and if he isn’t hate won’t come into the equation. I’m not a physio & his wages/contract isnt paid by me so I don’t waste my time obsessing over it. 

48 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Can't believe the negativity. Fair enough, he's been injured and not quite had the Unai upgrade yet. Look at what Don Unai has done to Mcginn, Watkins, Luiz etc. It's easy to forget how absolutely awful they / we were under Gerrard.

Just imagine if Unai could get Coutinho anywhere near his best. 

The difference is that those players are at their physical prime. 

I like Coutinho and even though he’s not old, he’s got a lot of mileage and injuries and just does not have that burst anymore. 

I think we should try hard to sell but if have to keep him for FPP or otherwise - hopefully we’re in Europe because I think he can do alright against some lower opposition. 

Doesnt look good and if Emery cant get a tune out of him no one will.

But part of me hopes he can be our Modric, especially if we reinforce our midfield and look for greater possession and control on games, he could be our #10?

On 15/05/2023 at 07:00, Keyblade said:

Crazy how this time last year we were shitting bricks about whether or not he'd join us permanently.

Yeah, I got laughed out of here for saying it would be a mistake.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah, I got laughed out of here for saying it would be a mistake.

The warning signs were there.

Not played well recently for a Barcelona team that are towards the top of their league.

Not played much for a Barcelona team due to either aforementioned poor form or injury. 

Barcelona desperate to offload him and seemingly accept way below expected market value.

All could be explained by Barcelona being an absolute madhouse though. And that's what I, and many others, were hanging our hats on. 

The latest injury certainly suggests its not (just) the Barcelona madness that can be blamed.  And that's before you bring in to it the subjective view on whether he's actually any good anymore or not. 

21 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Really, really feel for the guy. 

Would have had a glorious opportunity to shine under Emery and has just had setback after setback. 

If he can get fit and stay fit then, as others have said he could be very useful, particularly if we get into Europe. Perhaps not back to his prime but 70 to 80% prime Coutinho is better than most. 

He seems happy and settled here with his family so I doubt he’d want to unsettle them by going to Saudi. Plenty of other reasons to not go to that place anyway. He’s not Gary Lineacre, give the lad some credit. Plus we still get to sing his song!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Can't believe the negativity. Fair enough, he's been injured and not quite had the Unai upgrade yet. Look at what Don Unai has done to Mcginn, Watkins, Luiz etc. It's easy to forget how absolutely awful they / we were under Gerrard.

Just imagine if Unai could get Coutinho anywhere near his best. 

The negativity and near hatred from some is because of his supposed "friendship" with the much hated Gerrard which, unfortunately,  some just can't get past where PC is concerned . 

• Like 2

Â