Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

Has Emery specifically mentioned Countinho's future at the club is up in the air? I did a brief search through the forum and google to no avail.

I'm reluctant to see Coutinho's role here as over or the time he's spent here already as a waste, until Emery views Phil surplus to requirements, until then, there's every chance Coutinho could prove a few wrong.

• Like 2

Guess the chances of him going to Saudi slightly decreased now that Gerrard isn't going. Then again Gerrard wasn't going to one of the state owned clubs anyway so might not matter.

3 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I understand the need to get unutilised wages off the books, but I'm somewhat surprised by the glee shown by many to kick Phil out of the door.

Sure he has a high salary, but he's hardly some toxic, N'Zogbia, Stephen Ireland or McCormack figure. When he arrived, he was great which prompted many of us to want him to sign full time. There was even talk of Spuds nipping in ahead of us.

Like many, he massively regressed under the Talentless Mr. Prickly, and then got a longer-term injury. Who knows if he can also improve like the rest of the squad did under Unai.

Top clubs pay big wages - we see players on 200k plus per week in this league. To compete near the top, we'll have to get used to players on salaries like Phil, and Lucas 'Bezos' Digne - but even they are at the lower end of a Man U, Chelsea or Arsenal squad player. We're not used to it but, unfortunately it's a part of the game if we want to compete.

If Phil has no part to play, he'll be quite rightly sounded out to other clubs for sure but, until then, I don't get the reaction of pleasure derived from wanting him out the door - akin to a new signing coming in.

Until Don Unai suggests otherwise, he's a Villa player with a good character, with bags of top European experience, and I hope there's enough left in the tank to play a part in the coming season.

I think it’s because it’s a large part of the Gerrard year we all went to forget. I thought they were both decent signings at the time.  As you say neither of them are bad eggs. It just hasn’t worked out how we all hoped.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

I understand the need to get unutilised wages off the books, but I'm somewhat surprised by the glee shown by many to kick Phil out of the door.

Sure he has a high salary, but he's hardly some toxic, N'Zogbia, Stephen Ireland or McCormack figure. When he arrived, he was great which prompted many of us to want him to sign full time. There was even talk of Spuds nipping in ahead of us.

Like many, he massively regressed under the Talentless Mr. Prickly, and then got a longer-term injury. Who knows if he can also improve like the rest of the squad did under Unai.

Top clubs pay big wages - we see players on 200k plus per week in this league. To compete near the top, we'll have to get used to players on salaries like Phil, and Lucas 'Bezos' Digne - but even they are at the lower end of a Man U, Chelsea or Arsenal squad player. We're not used to it but, unfortunately it's a part of the game if we want to compete.

If Phil has no part to play, he'll be quite rightly sounded out to other clubs for sure but, until then, I don't get the reaction of pleasure derived from wanting him out the door - akin to a new signing coming in.

Until Don Unai suggests otherwise, he's a Villa player with a good character, with bags of top European experience, and I hope there's enough left in the tank to play a part in the coming season.

I don't want him out the door for anything he's done or indeed not done. It's his capability that's the issue, he's got skills to die for but 60 minutes every 3 or 4 games for such a huge outlay, wage wise, is a big drain on our resources. Swap him for Barnes or Maddison and you have immediately improved the squad.

He's here now so I will get behind him and hope his fitness can give him some decent game time but his history shows us it's highly unlikely to happen. 

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

I don't want him out the door for anything he's done or indeed not done. It's his capability that's the issue, he's got skills to die for but 60 minutes every 3 or 4 games for such a huge outlay, wage wise, is a big drain on our resources. Swap him for Barnes or Maddison and you have immediately improved the squad.

He's here now so I will get behind him and hope his fitness can give him some decent game time but his history shows us it's highly unlikely to happen. 

his first half against Leeds last season under SG, i genuinely thought might be the best 45 minutes ive seen from a villa player.

The big challenge for me is as you say, he cant complete 90 minutes, when he gets injured its for 3 months. We just cant afford a player like this on the books but it looks likely we will take a big loss on him that may impact our ability to bring in others.

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think it’s because it’s a large part of the Gerrard year we all went to forget. I thought they were both decent signings at the time.  As you say neither of them are bad eggs. It just hasn’t worked out how we all hoped.

There's definitely the 'Gerrard's mate' factor, you're right. 

• Like 1

If Villa are to replace Moreno's contribution on the left, while he's injured, Coutinho remains a viable option.

I am not sure Digne's crossing is consistent enough to provide everything Moreno did, so if Villa are to keep the same way of playing, they need a replacement on the left.

I am not sure Coutinho is disciplined enough to play the role but he could do it.

He's certainly no worse than Villa's two options on the right.

Being reported Barca have a 50% sell-on fee arranged :crylaugh:

**** off Stevie.

The extent to which Purslow backed the wrong horse is astounding. He never did have a clue with football though.

13 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

**** off Stevie.

The extent to which Purslow backed the wrong horse is astounding. He never did have a clue with football though.

That was reported at the time we signed him. It's not new information

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

**** off Stevie.

How much could he be worth? 8mil? 15 mil to Saudis? 

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I actually never knew this.

ye, 50% sell on fee, so its basically impossible to break even on him.

Assuming 18m fee, 4.5m amortisation a year over 4 years, so 13.5m left and 3 years.

We would need to sell him for 27m to break even......

selling him for even 10m, would be an 8.5m loss on the books.

Edited by MaVilla

Â