Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

5 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Comparing Coutinho to peak Jack, I think Jack was still a significantly better creator last season. However Coutinho is a much bigger goal threat than Jack ever was. I'd choose current Coutinho over peak Jack Grealish. 

If he maintains this form til the end of the season, we'd be fools to not trigger the option. But that's a significant if.

Are you sure?! Grealish had 16 goal contributions in 24 games last season and Coutinho already has 7 in 8.

6 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Comparing Coutinho to peak Jack, I think Jack was still a significantly better creator last season. However Coutinho is a much bigger goal threat than Jack ever was. I'd choose current Coutinho over peak Jack Grealish. 

If he maintains this form til the end of the season, we'd be fools to not trigger the option. But that's a significant if.

I think Coutinho is always moving the ball as well, he is a bit less self indulgent and not as exciting if that is the right word e.g. he isnt going to dribble past somebody just for the sake of it. Grealish was great but sometimes he did keep the ball a bit too much trying to win fouls

36 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Phil and Jack are different players. Phil is more the traditional playmaker whereas I feel Jack is more of  a ball carrier to draw the fouls etc. Coutinho is by the far the more natural goalscorer.

Also Phil’s defensive work is top notch, team player.

4 minutes ago, AV82 said:

.. and he'll be 30 by the time we'll be putting up 40m and astronomical wages. It's a valid debate.

Sometimes you've just got to sign that sort of player though to push you forward in short term.

Over last decade we've signed young prospects like James Bree and Tishbola who've amounted to little here and also mid range signings like AEG and Trez who we'll probably struggle to get back for what we paid. And the obvious flops like Ross McCormack.

So there's no guarentee with any age profile signing really even if clubs generally have shifted to under 25s with significant re-sale value.

I get that but Coutinho in our current position is simply world class value to us so he must be signed at all costs if we're really serious about breaking into top 6 in near future.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, AV82 said:

.. and he'll be 30 by the time we'll be putting up 40m and astronomical wages. It's a valid debate.

I’d hope we’d be willing to pay that just for the sheer outrageousness he’s capable of. Players like that is why we love watching football. If he becomes a bit of a luxery player towards the back end of that deal, then so be it. It would still be worth it. 

• Like 3

It's totally worth it for another 3-4 years of top class football. If we can sign him, he'll be such a big asset for us and the kind of player that gives us a real possibility of breaking the top 6. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I thought the same. When did we last have this level of depth?

I don't think we ever have in my life time of watching Villa. It's bonkers that Bailey and Buendia are struggling to get game time. Not the right thread for it I guess.

But I hope we do absolutely everything we can to keep Coutinho here. Absolutely crazy that he's playing for Villa. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Phil and Jack are different players. Phil is more the traditional playmaker whereas I feel Jack is more of  a ball carrier to draw the fouls etc. Coutinho is by the far the more natural goalscorer.

He is, but its not enough to be classed as world class as some do....not direct enough, to be that.

I love Jack on the ball, but I disagree with Pep ( yeah Brave I Know) he does need to score more goals......Jack would pass from a penalty, if he was allowed.

PC has more the eye of the tiger, and a clinical finish in him.....both have great feet, but I would say Phil has the edge.

• Like 1

I always knew, that Phil Coutinho was a good player.....but perhaps I didn't know just how good....He has quite literally blown me away.

I think the biggest factor is, he has lifted the level of the whole team....they all look better on the ball, they all look like they have more time and they seem that bit quicker to the ball.

He himself, has amazing feet, its like watching Michael Flatley, ......Phil is our " Lord of the Dance" with those magic feet.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AV82 said:

Grealish is nearly 27, I don’t think anybody would bay an eyelid if he returned in 2 years at the age of 29.

• Like 4

We have to sign him permanently...  Coutinho is going to be a major selling point for other signings this summer.  Digne himself said the prospect of playing with the Brazilian was a main factor in his decision to sign for Villa vs other suitors.

"Come to Villa!  We're going to qualify for Europe this season, and we're looking for you to help us get there.  We've already got Coutinho, so you know we're serious about this goal and aren't all talk..."

• Like 3

Â