VillaTalk Deadpool 2022

Xela

Sad about James Caan. I'd have liked to have seen him in a greater variety of roles. I think he was a really good actor who maybe got pigeonholed by Hollywood. 

But his legacy is strong. Any big player in the Godfather is an all time legend.

RIP

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Manny Charlton, Nazareth guitarist, 80.

I saw them in 1983 at the Worcester Centrum, opening for Billy Squier. 

80???!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Sad about James Caan. I'd have liked to have seen him in a greater variety of roles. I think he was a really good actor who maybe got pigeonholed by Hollywood. 

True, but if you take the part as Elf's dad then expect to get typecast.

58 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

True, but if you take the part as Elf's dad then expect to get typecast.

Even in that he plays the serious, dour senior role - so it's not that far, regardless of context! 

While giving a speech in Nara, I'm sure a few of us have been there, it's a peaceful little town near kyoto / osaka with a huge temple and deer roaming the streets

Very weird, not sure what he stood for or what the speech was about for someone to feel the need to do it but I thought he was considered a good long serving leader, you just don't see assasinations that often anymore 

13 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Why assassinate a former leader?

Horrible news though.

He was still a powerful figure in Japanese politics, and he was controversial in a number of respects.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

He was still a powerful figure in Japanese politics, and he was controversial in a number of respects.

Undisputably the biggest figure in recent Japanese politics. Very much a hawkish right-wing conservative as well, most people on VT wouldn't be huge fans of him.

As an aside, this is really quite a seismic event given that it is the most high-profile recent leader of the world's third largest economy. The assassination has been compared to JFK in terms of its shock value, at least in Japan.

Edited by legov

21 minutes ago, legov said:

Undisputably the biggest figure in recent Japanese politics. Very much a hawkish right-wing conservative as well, most people on VT wouldn't be huge fans of him.

As an aside, this is really quite a seismic event given that it is the most high-profile recent leader of the world's third largest economy. The assassination has been compared to JFK in terms of its shock value, at least in Japan.

Well yeah positioning himself as a right wing nationalist to the extent he refused to acknowledge the existence of 'comfort women' (i.e. sex slaves) in WW2, denied war crimes, supported Japanese imperialism, and wanted to redirect Japan's military stance away from defence to an international conflict footing would make you controversial...

10 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Well yeah positioning himself as a right wing nationalist to the extent he refused to acknowledge the existence of 'comfort women' (i.e. sex slaves) in WW2, denied war crimes, supported Japanese imperialism, and wanted to redirect Japan's military stance away from defence to an international conflict footing would make you controversial...

Not the most knowledgeable on the subject admittedly but yeah controversial chap. Although arguably Japan has always had more of a problem reconciling itself with its wartime past compared to Germany so the most controversial aspects of his political views predate him.

Slightly peeved that this isn't getting its own thread, this is major global news haha.

Edited by legov

29 minutes ago, legov said:

Not the most knowledgeable on the subject admittedly but yeah controversial chap. Although arguably Japan has always had more of a problem reconciling itself with its wartime past compared to Germany so the most controversial aspects of his political views predate him.

Slightly peeved that this isn't getting its own thread, this is major global news haha.

Errr, why not create one?

• Like 1