Pre-match thread

OutByEaster?

For me, this is SG's first real test as to where we are....lcfc not one of the sky 6 but a useful outfit all the same. Hoping for an entertaining game resulting in a home win of course 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I like Ramsey but I think Sanson is a more accomplished footballer at this point. 

Having said that, due to Sanson's lack of minutes Ramsey is more likely to get the nod. 

You might be right in the long run, but I don’t see how you can say that about Sanson given he has played so little since signing for us , unless you’ve seen him play in France.

Another bogey fixture for us, we could really do with a win too. 

We need to start the game how we ended against City, crowd need to play their part too, i thought City did a great job of nullifying the atmosphere in the first 10 minutes in midweek but I’d love for us to get the players going instead of waiting for the players to get us going sometimes.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2021 at 08:48, villaglint said:

I guess the question is whether Young can do 3 games in 7 days. I dont think Gerrard would have expected him to play 65 mins last night. If he's fit enough it'll be Ash. 

I agree. Ash played well enough against Palace to start against City, but I think SG left him out of the starting XI to rest him for this weekend. After being forced to play him 65' against City, he's going to have to sit him this weekend instead.

Back 4 are obvious, midfield will probably be Nakamba, Dougie, and McGinn. I suspect we'll see Sanson later in the game. That leaves the forward line...who do you play with Watkins and Buendia?

If Bailey is fit, he'll probably start. If not, do you start Ghaza, do you try pushing Ramsey forward on the left side, or do you try to fit Ings and Watkins together again? Choices, choices...I suspect he'll try Ghaza.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomC said:

That leaves the forward line...who do you play with Watkins and Buendia?

If Bailey is fit, he'll probably start. If not, do you start Ghaza, do you try pushing Ramsey forward on the left side, or do you try to fit Ings and Watkins together again? Choices, choices...I suspect he'll try Ghaza.

I think it'll be Young and if not, then I think it'll be Chukwuemeka.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TomC said:

I agree. Ash played well enough against Palace to start against City, but I think SG left him out of the starting XI to rest him for this weekend. After being forced to play him 65' against City, he's going to have to sit him this weekend instead.

Back 4 are obvious, midfield will probably be Nakamba, Dougie, and McGinn. I suspect we'll see Sanson later in the game. That leaves the forward line...who do you play with Watkins and Buendia?

Yh I think so too.

El Ghazi ain’t a brilliant winger, but I think he’s made for the inside forward role.

I just hope the team doesn't become as overconfident as some of the posters on here. Leicester, imo, have yet to find their true potential this season. They haven't suddenly become an average,  premier league  side. We have to make sure we are switched on from the first whistle. Let's not forget, this is a team that once won a premier league fixture 9 - 0, away from home.

I'm sure the manager will caution against thinking we are suddenly a top six side. We are still a bit of a way from that.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 4

Three games in for Gerrard so far and I think we’ve already seen his mark on the team. Belief, courage on the ball, better pressing and improved fitness. A tighter 433 formation is now denying the opposition the space to play through us. Going toe to toe with Man City in the second half was a pleasure to watch, despite the final result. Lots of positives for Gerrard to work on and I think we can now go into games with the belief that we’ll give anyone a game.

Another tough fixture to predict this one as Leicester are a strange side this season. Keeping clean sheets seems to be an issue for them, but the Vardy goals just keep coming despite his age, and he’ll need to be watched closely. Maddison is back in favour now and his form much improved. They have some very good players but they’re no Man City and clearly beatable.

Depending on fitness/fatigue and knocks then I expect to see a team close to the one below. I also expect goals and this could be a 2-1 to either side or a 2-2 game. December is a tough month as the games come thick and fast, and I think we have a couple of players (Mings and McGinn) who are one booking away from suspension. Gerrard may need to box clever with his subs over the next few games.

Martinez

Cash             Konsa                   Mings         Targett

Nakamba

Luiz                       McGinn

Buendia               Watkins               Young   

Subs:  Steer, Hause, Tuanzebe, Sanson, Ramsey, Carney, El-Ghazi, Ings, Davis

Edited by ferguson1

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I'd like to see Carney Chukwuemeka play although it would mean playing him left side of the front three....can he play there?

Young I'm sure will be rested.

Apart from that we shouldn't need to change much.

Up the Villa.

He’d play right side of a front 3 same as he did against City