Pre-match thread

OutByEaster?

I would like Sanson to get a start because he looked good in his cameo last night.

I was half watching a few games last night (Thanks Amazon!) and Maddison looked sharp, like he is getting back to his old self so this game will be tricky. Soyencu is a weak link for them.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, Leicester next up at Villa Park, we're in good form and Leicester seem to be struggling a little, although they are still above us in the table.

We've got some genuine competition for places and some questions on starters that will make it interesting.

I think the back five will be as was against City, Gerrard has said that Targett will be fit, so:

----------------------------------Martinez----------------------------------

Cash--------------Konsa----------------Mings------------Targett

Then the midfield three has suddenly become a really competitive area.

I don't think you can drop Luiz based on his performance last night and I think that it McGinn and Nakamba recover from their knocks they'll both play too. If not, then Ramsey, who can consider himself unlucky to miss out after some very good performances can step in and if both are out we have Sanson also available - there's some depth all of a sudden.

Then we get to the really interesting line of two behind the striker.

I'm going to assume that Buendia starts, there are signs he's finding form and he's a reliable selection. The other position is more of a mystery, if we assume that Bailey isn't available and if Traore is still out, then it's one of three - I thought Young looked very good there when he came on last night, but I also think Chukwuemeka looked quite bright and we have El Ghazi on the bench who will be itching for a chance. There's also some possibility that Ings will be back and that Watkins comes into the mix - personally I can't see that and I think Watkins will continue up front.

I'm going with something I didn't think I'd ever say in a million years a couple of month ago and picking 36 year old Ashley Young as our inside left ahead of Carney Chukwuemeka.

I'd continue with Watkins up front.

So a full team for me of:

----------------------------------Martinez----------------------------------

Cash--------------Konsa----------------Mings------------Targett

--------------McGinn-------Nakamba---------Luiz------------------

----------------Buendia----------------------Young--------------------

----------------------------------Watkins-----------------------------------

Leicester are a bit mysterious at the moment - the title winning side is done, their talismanic striker is showing signs of age (fun fact, Jamie Vardy is only three months younger than Gabby Agbonlahor) and their form isn't great, but they've got some good youngsters and a decent manager. The problem Leicester have is that if they start to slip, then there's a danger that for players they become 'just Leicester' and they find it hard to sign the quality they want and keep those they have - if they start to slip, it'll be hard for them to hold on.

They're at something of a crossroads.

I'd like us to run them over.

I guess the question is whether Young can do 3 games in 7 days. I dont think Gerrard would have expected him to play 65 mins last night. If he's fit enough it'll be Ash. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind seeing something like this in a 4-3-2-1 formation:

........................Martinez........................

Cash.......Konsa.......Mings.......Targett

.........Luiz....Nakamba....Sanson.........

...............McGinn.....Buendia...............

........................Watkins........................

I'm guessing Bailey is injured once again but he's been disappointing last few weeks anyway. Young for Targett if Targett is out. If Ings is available that gives us another option but I'd have him on the bench. Traore probably injured as per usual.

I was seriously impressed with Sanson last night particularly considering he hasn't played all season. He's got quality and I'd like to see him come straight in.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I'm guessing Bailey is injured once again but he's been disappointing last few weeks anyway. Young for Targett if Targett is out. If Ings is available that gives us another option but I'd have him on the bench. Traore probably injured as per usual.

I was seriously impressed with Sanson last night particularly considering he hasn't played all season. He's got quality and I'd like to see him come straight in.

I like that. Perhaps Ramsey for Sanson. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I like the look of that. Although he may go with El Ghazi as a direct wing-forward replacement for Bailey. Hope not. I think that backing midfield could be strong. Doubt Sanson will start, it'll be Ramsay (who I think would've played last night from Gerrard's comments) as he hasn't had enough minutes but will likely feature.

Edited by roonst83
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

That looks sweet, maybe swap Buendia and Mcginn as they are naturally right and left-sided.

I'd also like to see Sanson start but think he has a bit more to do.

Ramsey will be back I think as he was carrying a small knock against City.

I think we can win this, 3-1 to the Villa.

• Like 1

Leicester are struggling defensively this season especially on set pieces. They really need a new defensive coach but Rodgers is nothing if not stubborn ! Offensively they are doing quite well & scoring goals, Maddison seems to have recovered his form but did appear to re - injure his hip against Southampton. Another poster mentioned that Vardy is getting long in the tooth and he's right but he is still scoring on a regular basis. 

I'm worried about this one as I see Mings & Konsa giving Leicester lots of problems on corner kicks ! 

• Thanks 1

Yes got to be careful with Vardy. 9 goals this season so hes still at the top of his game. Maddison started scoring again too. Think Watkins will be a big threat at the other end as their defence has been poor. I am expecting a big performance from Buendia, maybe an assist or two.  Will be a cracking game. 3-2 Villa 

• Like 1