Pre-Match Thread

Nigel

Just now, Herman22 said:

Young was good when he came on last week so makes sense he start today. Bailey needs to impress with a very strong bench ready to take his place. 
I think SG will love Watkins work rate up top, he’s a press machine. 
Glad to see Marv start again, I thought he was good last week but glad to have Doug back on the bench. All three midfielders could be replaced with those on the bench. Luiz, Chuk and Sanson. 

the front 3 will need to press as a group, one individual pressing alone is too easy to bypass, Bailey and Young, or whoever is in that front 3, needs to do the business pressing also.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

When's he signing a new deal again?😉

Interesting team news. Had a hunch Ings would be taken out which is Gerrard flexing his muscle nicely. Wouldn't have started Young as lively as he was last week, guess it's to counter Zaha a bit more.

Surprised by that but he was out for a while. Precaution. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Young had a decent 8 minutes. If you're getting dropped for a 36 year old with a decent 8 minutes something is wrong.

I'm going presume it's because Buendia and his constant moaning last week was noted.

I’m not a fan of the Buendia attitude false narrative being thrown around constantly. It came out in the press that Young impressed in their first training sessions and had a good spell when he came on against Brighton. I think Gerrard wants to tap into his experience 

• Like 1

Worried about the press from the front 3. Watkins is going to have to put in a massive shift for us there.  With a bench this strong kinda wish we had the 5 sub rule.  Helps keeps the press strong all 90. 

It might backfire but him starting Ash makes sense considering what SG said in the week about keeping standards high, that strength to kick on, the winning mentality to do it again in the next game is what Ash has had to have since leaving Villa, it's smart from SG, Ash will be a other leader on the pitch, we need them 

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As well as has more pedigree and footballing achievements than 90 percent of our squad?

100% of our squad, even including the past 30 years worth of players apart from Milner. 

Edited by Steero113
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

When's he signing a new deal again?😉

Interesting team news. Had a hunch Ings would be taken out which is Gerrard flexing his muscle nicely. Wouldn't have started Young as lively as he was last week, guess it's to counter Zaha a bit more.

Screenshot 2021-11-27 at 14.21.52.png

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Buendia been a bit like Grealish so far. 

Moved to a bigger club with bigger expectations.

Shown flashes of ability but no consistency. 

Benched today and rightfully so. 

Except Buendia has played half as much as Jack.