Pre-Match Thread

Nigel

On 22/11/2021 at 22:13, Peter Griffin said:

I am not so sure about that. Brighton play a very high possession game and as many have pointed out in the 'Potter as manager' debate, they do naff all with the ball. Palace won't try and play the possession football and imo it will be a totally different game. There will be two inexperienced PL managers up against each other. Which one will have the balls to take the game by the scruff of neck and assert their authority. I am hoping to see Gerrard play a very different way than on Saturday. This would impress the hell out of me if Gerrard can change the approach and come away with another 3 points and keeping the sheets clean

Wouldn’t be so sure mate.  7th placed for possession stats. 2 behind Brighton.

They will have a lot of the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yet Ramsey looked the much better player for u21’s. Gallagher is a very good player. Our Ramsey could be better.

fingers crossed.

I do think he has played himself in to a permanent midfield slot.

• Like 1

Just looking at palace's results, really impressive tbh, unbeaten in 7 games, only lost to Liverpool & Chelsea this season in the PL, picked up wins versus Spurs & Man City, draws versus Spam, Arsenal, Leicester.

Honestly cant believe they are doing so well, i had them down as relegation candidates after such a difficult summer, they are doing well overall.

They have spent a grand total of 77m net in the last 5 years (66m of that this the summer just gone).

Edited by MaVilla

So we have the worst away record in the league. They have the 6th best home record in the league. Normally everything would be pointing to a Palace win so it will be interesting to see how we handle this game. 

One thing I’ve noticed about our away games this season is how poorly we’ve started games.  (United  only exception).  This for me has been a mental and preparation issue. Avoiding defeat tomorrow or at the very least getting to half time without being behind will be some sort of progress. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Benteke must be huge odds-on to score at least one. 

Generally Mings deals with big opponents quite well. I worry more about Zaha 

5 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Would be surprised if J J gets dropped. Same 3 as last week with a cameo from Dougie if he's able.

Seen this numerous times, can anyone explain?

His middle name doesn't even start with a J either.

JR would be better, no?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Seen this numerous times, can anyone explain?

His middle name doesn't even start with a J either.

JR would be better, no?

a lot of people at the club literally call him JayJay (JJ), i would guess its a variance on his name Jacob for the people who know him/his friends.

Deano used to call him JJ, the official site has called him JJ at times, i would bet money a lot of people at the club use it as his group friend thingy short name.

This will be a tough game, without a doubt, but Crystal Palace certainly aren’t invincible. The mood within the Villa squad is high, Gerrard said the whole place has been boosted since the Brighton game. We’re well placed to attack Palace and go for the win. We’re also a bit of an unknown quantity, it will be really interesting to see our team selection and tactics today. 

As others have said, a draw would be a solid result. A win would be tremendous though.