Pre-Match Thread

Nigel

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

Sanson is almost as rare as a lesser spotted leopard. 🐆 🔍🧐 Hope it works out well for him soon, fingers crossed. 

:flag: 

Like with every foreign import that we or any other club sign, the club’s fans go in to overdrive and expect the player to perform miracles and then subsequently are always disappointed when they don’t perform on the pitch. It always happens not just with our fans, maybe us fans should lower our expectations a bit 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you say that?

I think it's because when I joined over a decade ago you were already an established poster and even then you came across (as much as you can do on an internet forum) as an adult and not a teenager.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I am 30 years old, I have been a season ticket holder in the Trinity Road Stand since 1996, what about you AvonVillain?

Tongue-in-cheek, mate; rhetorical question in regards "expectation" and "Villa". So often the stick people like to beat us with. Though in answer, 40 years. Even got a picture with the European Cup!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Tongue-in-cheek, mate; rhetorical question in regards "expectation" and "Villa". So often the stick people like to beat us with. Though in answer, 40 years. Even got a picture with the European Cup!

Haha ok, that’s something to brag about, my Dad and Grandad went to that match, I wasn’t around then. I watched the European Cup final on the official site about a year ago, it wasn’t exactly swashbuckling attacking football. It was a jammy 1-0 win against a top side with a great reputation. I suppose it wouldn’t be Villa, if we played the opposition off the park

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would gladly take a point from this to continue building momentum.

Our record at Selhurst Park since mid 90s is shocking, not pretty reading at all for those brave enough to look it up.

1-1, late goal from Ings (off the bench) for battling point.

I don’t think Ings would  take too kindly to bring benched. In his appearances so far, I have been impressed by his goalscoring instincts but not his workrate. The overhead kick was outstanding against Newcastle 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Like with every foreign import that we or any other club sign, the club’s fans go in to overdrive and expect the player to perform miracles and then subsequently are always disappointed when they don’t perform on the pitch. It always happens not just with our fans, maybe us fans should lower our expectations a bit 

To be fair you may have a shade of pedigree when it comes to hyping up youth players. Though I do appreciate and enjoy your info and enthusiasm.

• Thanks 1

I don’t think Ings would  take too kindly to bring benched. In his appearances so far, I have been impressed by his goalscoring instincts but not his workrate. The overhead kick was outstanding against Newcastle 

It's a tough call. I think Ollie did enough to get the start at CF on Saturday so unless it's a 4-4-1-1 I don't really see at all how else Ings fits in so would leave him out tbh.

Perhaps we then go back to Ollie out wide for the Man. City game as we'll need insane workrate from the two either side of the CF for that game.

The pass to Bailey for the goal against Everton was world class

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

This game is going to take the same form as the Brighton one. We need to defend well and hope Martinez is in good form again. 

We will make chances, it's all about keeping the ball out of the net. 

I am not so sure about that. Brighton play a very high possession game and as many have pointed out in the 'Potter as manager' debate, they do naff all with the ball. Palace won't try and play the possession football and imo it will be a totally different game. There will be two inexperienced PL managers up against each other. Which one will have the balls to take the game by the scruff of neck and assert their authority. I am hoping to see Gerrard play a very different way than on Saturday. This would impress the hell out of me if Gerrard can change the approach and come away with another 3 points and keeping the sheets clean

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

It's a tough call. I think Ollie did enough to get the start at CF on Saturday so unless it's a 4-4-1-1 I don't really see at all how else Ings fits in so would leave him out tbh.

Perhaps we then go back to Ollie out wide for the Man. City game as we'll need insane workrate from the two either side of the CF for that game.

4-3-2-1, ings and buendia as the two. Although bailey and buendia as the two might be very tasty...