Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Will he return to Rangers?

Nah, think he'd fallen out with the board and was annoyed they wouldn't back him the summer after winning the league (despite signing 40+ players in his three seasons up there).

Word was that he wanted to be closer to his family too. Assume this is a big reason why Villa appealed to him really, its not much of a journey from north Brum/south Staffs up to Cheshire.

Honestly think there's at least a 50/50 chance that he's done with management now tbh

1 hour ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Nah, think he'd fallen out with the board and was annoyed they wouldn't back him the summer after winning the league (despite signing 40+ players in his three seasons up there).

Word was that he wanted to be closer to his family too. Assume this is a big reason why Villa appealed to him really, its not much of a journey from north Brum/south Staffs up to Cheshire.

Honestly think there's at least a 50/50 chance that he's done with management now tbh

His ego won't let him turn down another job. Jury's out on whether he'll drag it out for 20 years like Mark Hughes et al, but he's nowhere near done just yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

I think that’s where most British managers fail especially high profile ex players. Foreign managers are happy to move anywhere for football if he doesn’t have the level of commitment to move and give his all then he should just give up.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

His ego won't let him turn down another job. Jury's out on whether he'll drag it out for 20 years like Mark Hughes et al, but he's nowhere near done just yet.

I think it will!

When he hands in his expected salary of £6m a year and the club laugh in his face.

I think he's done. And I'm not surprised. Clueless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

You might be right - my gut feeling is his ego won't let him take a job below PL. Can't see him rocking up at Luton Town to keep the Liverpool dream alive. Feels as though the PL has moved beyond the Hughes/Bruce rotation now, with those managers more likely to find work in the Championship 

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think punditry is going to come to his rescue, though admittedly he's not exactly charismatic (tbf this handicap doesn't seem to have inhibited Roy Keane's media career). 

I dont know Keane always had a soundbite in him as a player and a manager and is clever enough to know how to play the media game

Mings, Watkins, Coutinho, Luiz, Digne, Kamara and Buendia were all in their respective national teams when Gerrard took over. 

This fraud has cost them all a World Cup, Villa should’ve been sending 11 players to this tournament! 

• Sad 1

On 21/11/2022 at 20:05, Keyblade said:

I don't really rate Hughes that much but that comparison is incredibly harsh on him. At least Hughes could be called a manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

I don't really rate Hughes that much but that comparison is incredibly harsh on him. At least Hughes could be called a manager.

Did some decent jobs early in his managerial career.  Surprised to see his currently the Bradford boss

15 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You would think, but outside of Blackburn, he's been a failure pretty much everywhere he's been. Fulham was pretty good to be fair, but he got too high off his own farts after that.

""As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences."

"Historically, Fulham was a club that was happy to be in the Premier League and that was their ambition, but it was not my ambition for them," he told the Mirror.

"In conversations, they were saying, 'We know exactly what you're about Mark, but, really, we are just quite happy to stay in the Premier League'."

:lol: 

His next jobs were QPR, then Stoke, both of whom got relegated the season he got sacked.

The Fulham owner ultimately proved to be right:

"What a strange man Mark Hughes is," he said in an open letter. "Sacked by Manchester City, he was becoming a forgotten man when I rescued him to become manager of Fulham Football Club.

"Even when results were bad, I did not put pressure on him. I gave him every support - financial, moral and personal.

"He negotiated a two-year extension to his contract. On the day he was due to sign, he walked out without the courtesy of a proper explanation.

"And now he insults the club, saying it lacks ambition, and the players who delivered an eighth position finish last season and a place in the Europa League.

"He is not just disrespectful but entirely wrong. Fulham has just announced plans for a splendid new riverside stand that will substantially increase the capacity of Craven Cottage.

"If people are looking for a flop, they only have to look no further than the man who has lost his spark."

I think Gerrard has the same sort of ego, boosted by decades of the English media brown-nosing him. Hughes was just the 80's/90's version of this.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You know its bad when you have a loser like nadene dorrens  saying beale was the reason for rangers success not gerrard 😂

Assuming you mean Nadine Dorries, I'm pretty sure she'd give all the credit to Boris Johnson. 

• Like 1

Â