Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Slowly is the word, how on earth did we manage to not get 3 points against 10 men Leeds. We have played 6 bottom half team so far, and the points return have been dismal.

Look at the fixtures for the rest of the year:
Nottingham (A) #20
Chelsea (H) #5
Fulham (A) #8
Brentford (H) #10
Newcastle (A) #7
Manchester United (H) #6
Brighton (A) #4
Liverpool (H) #9
Spurs (A) #3

That is 8 from the top half and one from the bottom. That means our run of easy opponents ends after Nottingham, and with Gerrard’s track record against top teams, no more wins in 2022.

If we don’t win against Forest, we would struggle to end the year on double digit points.

He should have been sacked long time ago, but the sooner he is gone the sooner the rebuild of the club can begin.

We have played the 3rd easiest opponents this season based on league position

• Like 1

Yup this start of the season is the easy run in and we have failed to take the points we should of. Best case we are playing catch up the rest of the season. Worst case we will be dragged into a relegation scrap. Either way the season looks to be another wasted one all because our manager doesnt know his own style of play and we now have wait for Critchley to bed in. From talk of top 7 and Europe to a "work in progress" in less than 2 months. Its ridiculous. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Slowly is the word, how on earth did we manage to not get 3 points against 10 men Leeds. We have played 6 bottom half team so far, and the points return have been dismal.

Nottingham (A) #20
Chelsea (H) #5
Fulham (A) #8
Brentford (H) #10
Newcastle (A) #7
Manchester United (H) #6
Brighton (A) #4
Liverpool (H) #9
Spurs (A) #3

That is 8 from the top half and one from the bottom. That means our run of easy opponents ends after Nottingham, and with Gerrard’s track record against top teams, no more wins in 2022.

If we don’t win against Forest, we would struggle to end the year on double digit points.

He should have been sacked long time ago, but the sooner he is gone the sooner the rebuild of the club can begin.

That’s fair enough, the point I’m trying to make is that if he wasn’t sacked off the back of the poor end to 21/22 and the poor start to this season, then they’re not going to sack him off the back of 2 clean sheets and 5 points from 9 are they?

23 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Would you be happy having someone in charge who was that easily influenced? Especially when our setup hasn't been working for God knows how long, he should have tried something different a long time ago.

Mate, so what are you trying to say, you would prefer him to stick to the same system you say isn't working, just to prove he isn't " easily influenced " ? lol

That very same thing is probably his biggest issue as it stands. I wish he were more flexible and open to positive influence!

It's one thing having a " philosophy " , but you have to be able to adapt and be flexible, Managers should always be learning and adapting.

• Like 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate, so what are you trying to say, you would prefer him to stick to the same system you say isn't working, just to prove he isn't " easily influenced " ? lol

That very same thing is probably his biggest issue as it stands. I wish he were more flexible and open to positive influence!

It's one thing having a " philosophy " , but you have to be able to adapt and be flexible, Managers should always be learning and adapting.

Yeah but changing just because Klopp has...come on...he should be realising these things himself was my point.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yup this start of the season is the easy run in and we have failed to take the points we should of. Best case we are playing catch up the rest of the season. 

This has been the most gutting thing, and why even a good point at City, and a point at Leeds go very little way towards any good feeling.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah but changing just because Klopp has...come on...he should be realising these things himself was my point.

you could say that about the players.....double standards.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I think we could be stuck with Gerrard for  this season at the very least..

Purslow isn’t going to sack him and he’s going to get more time..

Tough times ahead..

gives the 26,000 a chance...on the waiting list.

just kidding.

Edited by TRO

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Yup this start of the season is the easy run in and we have failed to take the points we should of. Best case we are playing catch up the rest of the season. Worst case we will be dragged into a relegation scrap. Either way the season looks to be another wasted one all because our manager doesnt know his own style of play and we now have wait for Critchley to bed in. From talk of top 7 and Europe to a "work in progress" in less than 2 months. Its ridiculous. 

Really? 

West Ham were a top 6/7 side. Arsenal, City top sides. We got 1 point from those probably on paper that's about right.

So Bournemouth, Everton, Palace, Southampton, Leeds are the bottom half sides and we got 7 points from those. Really on paper we should have got 10.

Should be on 11 points, maybe 12

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

you could say that about the players.....double standards.

What are the players supposed to be realising? I know for a fact Kamara and Douglas Luiz would rather play alongside each other rather than alongside McGinn. The players he selects perform how you'd expect them to for the most part, at least with that God awful midfield setup.

He needs not only to get a system in place, but picking our best players would be a start.

33 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Would you be happy having someone in charge who was that easily influenced? Especially when our setup hasn't been working for God knows how long, he should have tried something different a long time ago.

Like what?

did the set up work against Man City?

I have been a Villa fan for over 60 years, rarely have I seen our fanbase all agree on a set up.....or anyone elses...its par for the course.

I have witnessed manager after manager create a divided opinion, on who should and who shouldn't play and where....and I don't think it will ever change.

Its as if there is some kind of, one way of playing for success.

Managers will do things we don't agree with, I don't agree with everything Gerrard does.......we better get used to it, because the alternative is driving ourselves mad.

If he continues to set us up, hard to beat and picks up points.....He is going nowhere.

29 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Nottingham (A) #20 (Fulham - W)
Chelsea (H) #5 (W)
Fulham (A) #8 (West Brom - W)
Brentford (H) #10 (Leeds - L)
Newcastle (A) #7 (D)
Manchester United (H) #6 (L)
Brighton (A) #4 (D)
Liverpool (H) #9 (W)
Spurs (A) #3 (W)

I wouldn't class Fulham or Brentford as top half teams despite where they might currently be in the table. We should be getting points from those, as well as Brighton and Newcastle.

It's funny, if you look at those same fixtures in the 20/21 season (and substituting the newly promoted teams from that season), we got 17 points from those 9 games. 2 years on, and we're not confident of getting a single point. The standards have absolutely plummeted. 

19 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

How has this even become a fact? There’s plenty to critique about Steven Gerrard but things get suggested on one page whether it’s tongue in cheek or not, and then by the next page it’s fact and someone is outraged about it.

Edited by Woody1000
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

What are the players supposed to be realising? I know for a fact Kamara and Douglas Luiz would rather play alongside each other rather than alongside McGinn. The players he selects perform how you'd expect them to for the most part, at least with that God awful midfield setup.

He needs not only to get a system in place, but picking our best players would be a start.

Are you interviewing them outside BMH?

and who are our best players?.......That my friend is subjective.

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Really? 

West Ham were a top 6/7 side. Arsenal, City top sides. We got 1 point from those probably on paper that's about right.

So Bournemouth, Everton, Palace, Southampton, Leeds are the bottom half sides and we got 7 points from those. Really on paper we should have got 10.

Should be on 11 points, maybe 12

Yeah possibly my expectations were too high. But for a club that talked Europe and top half getting 7 points from 5 games against relegation fodder is poor.

14 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I think we could be stuck with Gerrard for  this season at the very least..

Purslow isn’t going to sack him and he’s going to get more time..

Tough times ahead..

If that’s the case Purslow must have an agenda that has nothing to do with the constant progress of Aston Villa and therefore should be sacked. He’s a charlatan cut from a similar cloth as Xia but a little more polished. Larry Limelight and Slippy G a frightening combination for our football club. Neither has any interest in Aston Villa other than self interest. I hope NSWE have their eyes fully open before more damage is done to our club and their investment. 

49 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Nottingham (A) #20
Chelsea (H) #5
Fulham (A) #8
Brentford (H) #10
Newcastle (A) #7
Manchester United (H) #6
Brighton (A) #4
Liverpool (H) #9
Spurs (A) #3

Gerrard would get us 6 points max from that lot.. and I'm being optimistic about winning at Forest

• Like 1

Â