Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

10 minutes ago, juanpablosaliceband said:

We let him down by replacing him with an amateur. I still feel the time was right for a change but we downgraded instead of upgrading. 

This.  Unfortunately Dean hit his ceiling with us and it was right to move him on.  We didn't replace him with better though.  All our steady progress we have made over the last few years is being undone by Gerrard. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Gerrard being a joke doesn't redeem Smith. When we sacked him we'd been shit for months. He was done. Will always be welcome at Villa Park, but he had to go.

Gerrard has a remarkably similar journey. Here's hoping we reach the destination sooner this season, and dump him.

Thank you.

I honestly don't know why it's so hard for some people to simultaneously believe that Gerrard should be sacked *and* that Smith's time here was up. And the idea that we "let him down" is absurd. Sorry I support Aston Villa, not Dean Smith FC.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Thank you.

I honestly don't know why it's so hard for some people to simultaneously believe that Gerrard should be sacked *and* that Smith's time here was up. And the idea that we "let him down" is absurd. Sorry I support Aston Villa, not Dean Smith FC.

Seems like most people agree with this though. Don't see too many people who think Smith categorically shouldn't have been sacked. Just that it shouldn't have been done to waste nearly a year on a manager with even less experience than him.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Thank you.

In fairness a lot of the Gerrard believers used to compare to Smith and any criticism of Gerrard Smith waa dragged into the argument

I think now thats gone since the manager is closer to Tim Sherwood now minus the attacking football

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Gerrard being a joke doesn't redeem Smith. When we sacked him we'd been shit for months. He was done. Will always be welcome at Villa Park, but he had to go.

Gerrard has a remarkably similar journey. Here's hoping we reach the destination sooner this season, and dump him.

So shit that we beat Spurs, Chelsea and United over his last few months.

Imagine a Gerrard Aston Villa beating any of them (United maybe at a push). 

Smith deserved more time. 

Smith deserved more time for sure because there was no one better to take over available 
This time its different, there is better candidates 

Edited by messi11

Frankly I find it unbelievable we are apparantly letting him spend more money after this shambles.He is Bruce MK2 buy buy buy .

The mf 3 are a mess and for someone who played that position with some distinction how he can't see this I don't know.You can't play that 3 in those positions.McGinn is miles to deep to be effective long gone is the McGinn who gets forward and creates or scores .Now he is left sitting deep on the right side attempting to float balls cross pitch to Digne .

Talking of I'm becoming more convinced he is not that much of a step up on Targett and for 25mip plus is he really the best LB we could of gotten ..great scouting .

Ramsey great running with the ball ,hamped like McGinn being on the wrong side but the issue is in this formation you need mf calmer on ball.

Defence all over the place ,Konsa is miles off his best perhaps coming back from injury too quickly ..Set pieces we look nevery as hell 

Under Smith we would ,especially post Jack go direct to Watkins running into a channel from a lump from Mings and here we are almost a year later and still doing it .What identity has SG put on this team exactly ..It you had been locked on a space station for a year with no news and came and watched this game you would have no clue we had changed manger 

And what is the answer to these crap performances ..here you go Stevie here is another 25 mil for an attacker of the known quantity .See here is the thing - we ditched the young and up and coming transfers for known exp pro's ,when you do that you do it  for instant results .Which we are not getting so just how long to we persist with this ? 

I don't see any points from the next three games so leaving him a record of 3 wins in 16 if I'm not mistaken ,( against 2 sides no longer in the league and Everton)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

All that talk of needing a pre season and how well it went. 

To still have the same issues as when he arrived is really unforgiveable by this point. 

Performance wise preseason was a continuation of last season. Huff and puff and individual moments masking again a clueless disorganised mess. Results were better but painted over the same old cracks and issues. If you look at how we played the warning signs preseason were there for all to see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

Performance wise preseason was a continuation of last season. Huff and puff and individual moments masking again a clueless disorganised mess. Results were better but painted over the same old cracks and issues. If you look at how we played the warning signs preseason were there for all to see.

Agreed. I said the same when people argued pre season is just for fitness.

• Like 1

Only just seen the highlights and I’m even more furious now, got taken apart by a Palace team who seemed to know exactly what they were doing. Actually looked like they have a game plan and have been coached. This is the same Palace team that were one of the favourites to be relegated last season. Vieira has completely transformed them in that time, helped massively by keeping their best player. We lost ours and have failed to replace him, this is the biggest issue. We don’t have a player who can control the game, plenty of fans rave about Buendia but he hasn’t got the consistency to be this player imo. He actually looks better when coming off the bench as other teams are starting to run out of steam. 

5 hours ago, Nabby said:

I don't see any points from the next three games so leaving him a record of 3 wins in 16 if I'm not mistaken ,( against 2 sides no longer in the league and Everton)

This is the most damning stat. 

Edited by Made In Aston

Last season it unravelled quickly for Smith and feel like this is going to happen with Gerrard. I don’t see how it improves right now, I don’t have a clue how we want to play, what the game plan is or anything. It’s absolute rubbish watching us atm. The win against Everton wasn’t great either, we couldn’t break them down and nearly chucked it away at the end. 

I’m not basing this off just this season but the last 10 months, Gerrard needs to go before the season becomes a write off like last season. 

3 wins in 14 or 15 whatever it is with upcoming games means it could be 17/18. The owners wont get rid of him yet but I wish they would. Gerrard does not need backing with any more money, he doesn’t deserve it. We should be excited watching this squad but it’s depressing watch right now. We look like we are going to concede a lot this season also. 

Gerrard out. 

On 11/11/2021 at 10:16, Spoony said:

Absolutely wouldn’t have been my choice but will support him and what ever happens this season (unless we go down) I’d give him a pre season and a bit of time next season. 

Think he’s had his bit of time tbh

Results get managers sacked. Players are those responsible for getting those results. 

If he's gone in there acting like Billy big bollocks,  and angered the players,  it's inevitable that they will get him gone. They have three games that we'd be expected to lose coming up. They're like free hits to the players if the want to see the back of Gerrard. I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose by a couple to West Ham and then get battered in the next two. 3 points from 18 might (should?) be enough for him to be gone. 

Walsall lost 7 games in a row last season. They got a new man in and won the next two games,  against the top two teams in their league. The new man fielded the same players and had no time to implement changes. That,  for me, proved how players can get managers sacked. I think our lot probably don't like Gerrard's style of management. 

On 11/11/2021 at 11:51, AndyM3000 said:

Well I think it's a massive risk and we are in a position we didn't need to do this. I didn't like hiring Bruce, I knew exactly what we were getting and how dreadful it was going to be. At least with Gerrard I have no idea, so potential to be good.

I'll always back a new manager and this is no different. Our worst area is midfield and surely he knows how to fix that, can only be good for the likes of Chuk & Ramsey brothers too.

This has not aged well. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, messi11 said:

Smith deserved more time for sure because there was no one better to take over available 
This time its different, there is better candidates 

They won't come to us when we're in the shit. The time to change manager is during the closed season and Gerrard was never getting the sack this summer. 

Purslow is to blame for nearly all of this mess, he's arguably a good commercial director but his footballing decisions are baffling. The writing was on the wall with his Ings, Bailey and Beundia statement when Grealish left when his get out clause was activated. £100m looks like money well spent when you look at the money Gerrard and Purslow have spent on run of the mill players.  

Even this latest signing looks bizarre when the midfield is been overun game after game and we have more offensive players than we can use anyway. 

We're in the shit big time , Purslow has to go or employee someone with a football brain.

The Athletic today have a big feature on the average age of new signings at the Premier League clubs during the last ten years.

Villa’s signings have been relatively old seen over the ten year period which surprised me a bit. But the Gerrard effect is obvious as well.

When it comes to the impact a current manager has had on the age profile of a club’s signings, Steven Gerrard’s brief time at Villa so far has marked one of the most drastic changes in transfer strategy.”

https://theathletic.com/3516067/2022/08/21/age-profile-signings-premier-league/?source=user_shared_article

Â