Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

24 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Let's look at Gerrard's position positively for a moment.

When SG was appointed as head coach the hope was that his appointment would raise the profile of AVFC. We also hoped that he would be able to attract a higher level of players to the club.

He's been a successful appointment if we apply just those two criteria. We also hoped that by bringing in his full coaching staff he would hit the ground running and relearn the Premier League necessities quickly.

However, after an initial new manager bounce, Gerrard's coaching and tactical ability has come under the microscope and he has so far come up short of what is required.

So here's the positive part .... SG has raised our profile, he's attracted better players to sign for Villa, and has made other players aware of us as a possible destination in the near future .... so that part of his role has been successful.

If our owners share our concerns about Gerrard's apparent inability to get the best out of our players tactically then we are currently in a strong position to upgrade him. Taking over the reins from a big footballing name is more attractive than replacing a lesser known failing manager.

If the right calibre of manager/head coach is identified and available then this would be another positive change and a progressive step in the business plan.

The last thing NSWE need is to lose the large gain that has been recently attained in raising our media profile, by persevering with very mediocre football and poor results. Gerrard needs an immediate run of wins and draws against some very good teams in the next few weeks, or a positive change will be made.

Hmmm I would think winning 6 or 7 games on the bounce a couple of times this season would massively boost our profile even with a total noname manager.

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think people are really blurring the lines on Gerrard being able to attract players and the club chucking shed loads of money at them. Not sure Gerrard has as much pull as £150k a week in your bank. 

As with nearly all the praise of Gerrard, it was a race to laugh and say AH SEE, DEAN SMITH COULDN'T GET COUTINHO.

As was said at the time, maybe Gerrard should go and be a director of football somewhere. He clearly isn't cut out for the training ground.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think people are really blurring the lines on Gerrard being able to attract players and the club chucking shed loads of money at them. Not sure Gerrard has as much pull as £150k a week in your bank. 

I'll give him some credit. But apart from Coutinho we haven't signed anyone who I think would be unimaginable if he wasn't here. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

I'll give him some credit. But apart from Coutinho we haven't signed anyone who I think would be unimaginable if he wasn't here. 

My worry with Coutinho is what happens when Gerrard isn’t here in a few weeks. That’s a big old contract to run down..

• Sad 1

I don't like letting football impact my general mood cos you know, it's just football and it's completely out of our control anyway. However, i'm still seething about the game yesterday and I really just don't see a way out of it. He needs to be sacked already and there's no benefit to waiting at all. Players are arguing with each other on the pitch, they look lost and it's completely unaccaptable straight after a pre-season. I think the most frustrating thing about the the whole thing is that we need to change manager again and then give them another pre-season. This season is already close to being a write off unless we get in a manager who can hit the ground running. Gerrard is not a Premier League manager. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

He won't survive past the Man City game.  West Ham will turn around their form against us next weekend, Arteta's Arsenal will tear us to shreds the following, and if that isn't the final nail in the coffin for Gerrard, Pep arrives to finish the job.  If we don't soundly beat Bolton at midweek and West Ham rip us apart on Sunday, we might see the back of Gerrard before that.  

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

He won't survive past the Man City game.  West Ham will turn around their form against us next weekend, Arteta's Arsenal will tear us to shreds the following, and if that isn't the final nail in the coffin for Gerrard, Pep arrives to finish the job.  If we don't soundly beat Bolton at midweek and West Ham rip us apart on Sunday, we might see the back of Gerrard before that.  

I’m not sure. Draw against Wet Spam, lose to Arsenal and City, I think he’ll be given the Leicester and Southampton games taking us to the International break.

4 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Whatever we think - never should we hope the other team win . 

If it gets Gerrard the sack I'll take it. I'm looking at the bigger picture. We aren't good enough to win the League Cup and the Premier League has to be our priority.

Â