Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We were a midtable team last season and made quite a few upgrades. I don't see it as standing still. 

I think last season we were trying to be a midtable team, this season is consolidating as a midtable team with the upgrades.  I don’t think we are a 6th-7th place strength team/squad.  It’s progress which is great but the next step is huge and some of these players aren’t that level.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm glad he's pissed off in the interview.

Sounds better than the tired and disinterested slumping in the dugout. Again.

Seems to have no fight in him at all when things aren't going our way.

Don’t think he would have reacted like that to most other interviewers though. I’m sure that was the guy that fell out with Klopp and all the Liverpool fans hate.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm glad he's pissed off in the interview.

Sounds better than the tired and disinterested slumping in the dugout. Again.

Seems to have no fight in him at all when things aren't going our way.

I agree with the first 2 lines.

However on the 3rd, what's he meant to do " fight wise " from the sidelines, aside from tactics/player changes?

I don't think him shadow boxing or doing pushups on the sidelines to show " fight " would make a difference haha.

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

next season with a full transfer window behind him he won't have any excuses. for whatever reason, hes decided sanson isn't for him. and that's his call. clearly he's playing the current midfield 3 because he feels that it's literally his only option. we see that ramsey needs taking out of the side for a game or 2, he surely must do too but just feels he has no other option

it wasn't long ago where arsenal fans were calling for arteta's head...gotta give him time.

last 2 games have been utterly pathetic though. west ham and arsenal are good teams, but they've just taken 6 VERY easy points off us. i can take losing if we've made teams work for it.

West Ham was hardly ‘utterly pathetic’ . It was a very tight game where we gave away a couple of poor goals. Even then they were questionable if they were legal as Emi’s view was blocked in the first goal and then I felt Rice knees Bailey in the thigh in the buildup.

Today was a bit off because I felt like we were a yard off them for most of the game and they were relatively comfortable.

I’d say Gerrard needs at least 18 months before we can judge him properly as then he’ll have had 4 windows to get most of his players in.

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

For Steven Gerrard to field a team and let Arsenal dominate and dictate was a surprise.

Villa looked so flat and without urgency, almost as though the tactic was to soak up pressure and snatch something on the break.

Villa looked naive, tentative and passive from the beginning of the game which lets the opponents gain the upper hand. Why is that a tactic, it makes no sense to me?

Massive gulf between Arsenal and Villa, hence the reason we lost both games to them.

but last season certainly we were looking like we could close that gap with the likes of arsenal etc. we did the double over them ffs. even this season we won at old trafford, and gave chelsea a bloody good game at their place...scoreline doesn't reflect the game one bit.

under deano we always went toe to toe against the so called top sides but under gerrard, so far at least, i've been disappointed with how we've played against them. seems like smith could motivate them during the week into a mindset where we'd really take the game to them. so far gerrard hasn't demonstrated he can do the same.

we have city, spurs, and liverpool still to play this season. i want to see a bit more in those games. if we want to close that gap, we cant be rolling over like we have been doing.

• Like 1

Gerrard has us looking scared of the better teams in the league. This must be something he has brought to the club as it was never the case when Smith was manager.

In our remaining games against the top half teams we need to much more intention and ability. We know the team is capable of it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I agree with the first 2 lines.

However on the 3rd, what's he meant to do " fight wise " from the sidelines, aside from tactics/player changes?

I don't think him shadow boxing or doing pushups on the sidelines to show " fight " would make a difference haha.

Fight is maybe the wrong word, but a few times now we've been losing and I see the opposition manager encouraging his team, shouting instructions and signalling to them, while our guy is sitting down having a sulk, and it's so frustrating

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Fight is maybe the wrong word, but a few times now we've been losing and I see the opposition manager encouraging his team, shouting instructions and signalling to them, while our guy is sitting down having a sulk, and it's so frustrating

Having played so many years in the league he should know this but maybe the managerial version of Gerrard is struggling to come to terms with that things in the PL are not as easy as in the SPL.

Not that many games in this league we are going to win by simply having superior players compared to the opposition unlike when he managed Rangers.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He has managed nearly 100 more games than Arteta

Not at the level like the PL. Patrick Verria left MLS and did 2 years at Ligue 1. A league like that should have been Steven's next stop. He's made a huge leap. We have no choice but to go through these growing pains with him. 

7 minutes ago, sne said:

Having played so many years in the league he should know this but maybe the managerial version of Gerrard is struggling to come to terms with that things in the PL are not as easy as in the SPL.

Not that many games in this league we are going to win by simply having superior players compared to the opposition unlike when he managed Rangers.

Indeed. Does Gerrard aspire to be an in-game problem solver (I see little evidence so far – and sulking in his seat is not a good start), Or does he aspire to be a manager who turns up at the rich owners’ door and says “I want him, him, him and him”? I like the former type. Don’t think much of the latter.

• Like 1

Giving a different angle, if you look at Arteta, last season Arsenal were awful at times, players looked lost, tactics questioned and they weren't getting the results expected. It has taken him a long time to remould the team the way he wants and replace the players he didn't like. Now they look organised, their youth players are repaying his faith and some of his signings are proving really astute.

It's going to take time for Gerrard to really impose himself and put together the team he wants to take us forward.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Giving a different angle, if you look at Arteta, last season Arsenal were awful at times, players looked lost, tactics questioned and they weren't getting the results expected. It has taken him a long time to remould the team the way he wants and replace the players he didn't like. Now they look organised, their youth players are repaying his faith and some of his signings are proving really astute.

It's going to take time for Gerrard to really impose himself and put together the team he wants to take us forward.

Are our youth players repaying the faith shown by Gerrard ?

Oh wait - he doesn't play them.

24 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Not at the level like the PL. Patrick Verria left MLS and did 2 years at Ligue 1. A league like that should have been Steven's next stop. He's made a huge leap. We have no choice but to go through these growing pains with him. 

Why ?

So he can sell our  best players - buy ready made players with a short shelf life - then feck of Liverpool ?

I don't get why we are letting Gerrard learn on the job here - when it's an open secret he wants the Liverpool job.

It feels like we are Liverpool s feeder club. 

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

Carney's the only one really.

More of a problem next season if likes of Archer and Kesler are back in first team squad yet get overlooked for starts when injuries hit e.g. Chambers starts at RB instead.

He will only get the Lplop /England job ih he is successful here.

Some people on here need to get a grip. How many of the players on the pitch today would SG be happy to have on the pitch in the next 12/18 months. I would say 6 or 7 at the most.

If he goes in 3 or 4 years time, i'm ok with that, but until then i am quite intrigued to see if he turns out to be as good as i think he can be.

Getting a decent striker would be a start.

I’m struggling why he continues with 4-3-3 when we’re pinned back and play very narrow and we don’t have aggressive ball winner in midfield . We’re not good enough to play so many flair players didn’t understand the subs when we were looking to regain some control we put on Bailey and Traoore both ineffective. He has got to learn quickly from this and adapt next season as we will be very quickly worked out . 

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

isn't that the point i'm making? You can only really only take the risk on integrating youth players when the foundations are in place and the team are playing the way you want.

give him some credit he's stuck by Ramsey, the only other youth players who probably deserve a start is Chrisene and Tim but that is a tough call as if it doesn't work out he will get dog's abuse.

so far Chuk's cameos haven't yet proven he deserves to start a game, but it's also tough call as he isn't an impact player so doing much in 15-20 mins is a lot to ask.

But yeah square pegs are Young and any one of our midfielders who don't do the defensive bit well, so Tim and Ben should be given a chance, but easier for me to say.

I think one of the really positive things about Gerrard is the way he speaks. He is honest and passionate. He doesn’t try and play any games. He’s straight down the middle. I suspect a few of the players are really going to regret their performance today. 

• Haha 1

Â