Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I never wanted SG. His appt smacked of jobs for the boys via Purslow.

I like that he wants to try something different and I like the way he talks about the club etc. I hope he comes good.

The one thing I thought was a given with his appt is that he'd set high standards and have players of all abilities rinning through brick walls for him.

Same old passive villa, rolling over. Awful to watch and u dont think stevie has a plan b

I have to admit that bit has me snookered too.

I am beginning to think its just not in them.....but you are right with your observations.

I think we have bought players, for their technical abilities, which is fine and not the character to go with it.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

what terrible system?

what was the right system then, if this one was terrible?

the ridiculous turnover you allude too, to fix it,is maybe what he thinks too.

We’ve got a decent squad now. If you believe that that is the best we can hope to achieve against Arsenal then that’s fine.

I’m not a football manager but this system of two number 10s and the full backs as our only width has led us to losses against such formidable teams as Newcastle, Brentford and Watford. That’s why I felt it wasn’t the right system.

If our approach to a bit of bad form is to sack the manager and then replace the entire squad every season or two then we aren’t going about things in the right way.

• Like 1

Just now, tom_avfc said:

We’ve got a decent squad now. If you believe that that is the best we can hope to achieve against Arsenal then that’s fine.

I’m not a football manager but this system of two number 10s and the full backs as our only width has led us to losses against such formidable teams as Newcastle, Brentford and Watford. That’s why I felt it wasn’t the right system.

If our approach to a bit of bad form is to sack the manager and then replace the entire squad every season or two then we aren’t going about things in the right way.

The squad lacks balance.....and no formation changes will alter that.....we are missing key components.

We have tried just about every system know to man, by 2 managers, who are both decent IMO.

No the trick is to sign players, for certain roles, who have the character and leadership to engage with an ambitious club......not sign half a dozen wingers and see if one works.

and No again, sacking managers is not the answer, but they have to measure up when it comes to signing players for the role in the team their system dictates.

He took over a squad which was laid bare of defensive midfield cover and no matter how much he juggles, the issue won't go away.....and it won't.

A system, won't make a first touch good, or a half hearted tackle ,robust........It won't help you beat a man in the air, for an aerial duel of make a searching run.

We blame systems too much, when its something else.

• Like 3

I don’t mind the interview that much- he’s right that the questions were stupid and designed to rile somewhat. But I’m worried about the slouching in his seat when things aren’t going as he’d like. Must send an awful message to the players 

1 minute ago, JPJCB said:

I don’t mind the interview that much- he’s right that the questions were stupid and designed to rile somewhat. But I’m worried about the slouching in his seat when things aren’t going as he’d like. Must send an awful message to the players 

I dont like managers behaving like that at interviews. Hes paid well to answer dumb questions so get on with it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I dont like managers behaving like that at interviews. Hes paid well to answer dumb questions so get on with it. 

Plenty of top managers do this- mourinho and SAF particularly notorious for being touchy in interviews and pep and Klopp do it all the time. You may not like it but it’s not that big a deal 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Absolute no problem with Gerrard showing a bit of personality in a post match.

I though he was smug and arogant and even if other top managers are like that I dont think its right. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

I though he was smug and arogant and even if other top managers are like that I dont think its right. 

Doesn't have as much to back it up either. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Plenty of top managers do this- mourinho and SAF particularly notorious for being touchy in interviews and pep and Klopp do it all the time. You may not like it but it’s not that big a deal 

To be fair other than the real battles against Wenger and Mourinho, Fergie was generally magnanimous in defeat and realised about 20 years ago you just can't treat modern day players the way we fans would like to and lay into them.  I genuinely can't recall him having a go at his players on camera.  Admittedly he did refuse to do interviews for the Beeb for about a decade though!

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

That’s possible, but he did say they seemed to lack belief and didn’t follow the game plan properly because of that.

It's almost though the players aren't convinced by project narrow. I can't think why.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JPJCB said:

He isn't used to losing that much as either as a player or at Rangers when there is only 1 other team to compete against. 

7 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

My main concern about Gerrard is that he brings in too many older players for a quick fix, like Suarez and Wijnaldum, then buggers off.

I would be angry if he did. In fairness though, he hasn’t yet. But all that talk about ”experience” does sound like code for ”I want to do like Conte and sign a bunch of famous 35 year olds, because I’ll be off soon”.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

My main concern about Gerrard is that he brings in too many older players for a quick fix, like Suarez and Wijnaldum, then buggers off.

If we sell Bailey in the summer, only to bring in Suarez, I'll be pissed off.

I bloody hope not. You can't succeed in this league without legs. Suarez's legs have gone and as I've discussed elsewhere he'd be a big no for me thanks to biting, bans for racial abuse etc. Wijnaldum would be good, but question of legs and the value in the salary he'd command come to mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

The squad lacks balance.....and no formation changes will alter that.....we are missing key components.

We have tried just about every system know to man, by 2 managers, who are both decent IMO.

No the trick is to sign players, for certain roles, who have the character and leadership to engage with an ambitious club......not sign half a dozen wingers and see if one works.

and No again, sacking managers is not the answer, but they have to measure up when it comes to signing players for the role in the team their system dictates.

He took over a squad which was laid bare of defensive midfield cover and no matter how much he juggles, the issue won't go away.....and it won't.

A system, won't make a first touch good, or a half hearted tackle ,robust........It won't help you beat a man in the air, for an aerial duel of make a searching run.

We blame systems too much, when its something else.

You always speak sense mate. I totally agree with this. A few carefully planned transfers in the summer could make all the difference. We lack size, pace and physicality. Two or three carefully chosen players could really redress the balance and all of a sudden we will look a different prospect.

• Like 1

Â