Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yep we assembled a squad with arguably too many wide players.....then recruited a manager who doesn't want to play with any wide players.! Madness.

Let's hope Stevie Gs narrow formation yields results because we look set to invest a huge amount of money in it.

I'll admit that the bit in bold is questionable.

I was thinking similar myself I'll admit, he'll either have to show more flexibility to accommodate the talent invested in, or it looks a bit of a gaffe from the top.

The 4 - 3 - 1 - 2 which seemed to be doing ok, is the best chance some of our current wide players have IMO.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yep we assembled a squad with arguably too many wide players.....then recruited a manager who doesn't want to play with any wide players.! Madness.

Let's hope Stevie Gs narrow formation yields results because we look set to invest a huge amount of money in it.

I just don't see why he can't just play 4 3 3 and have Coutinho and Buendia cutting in from wide positions and playing in the half spaces. The obsession with playing out from the back when we don't have players with the required talents to do that is probably the most frustrating. 

Konsa, Mings, McGinn, Ramsey these are the players you are telling to play it out from the back. None of them are quality passers of the ball. Ramsey has time to improve but the others, it's a limitation on their natural talent. They can't do it so stop forcing them into a style of play they will never be comfortable with. 

To my eyes the number of changes of personnel required for the 4 3 2 1 system and playing out from the back to work are too many to make it worthwhile doing. We need new CBs and midfielders and a new CF who can finish chances and play up top on their own. 

We need to be pragmatic and succeed a different way, this is how West Ham and Leicester have had success in recent years.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jim said:

Christ we’ve had a narrow loss to a top 4 chasing team, a very good Arsenal team who’s current form is only bettered by Citeh and Liverpool. 

The meltdown is hilarious. The guy took over a shit show and has been here 5 minutes. Judge him next season.

Nobody is having a meltdown, just questioning the wisdom of Gerrard having a plan and way he wants us to play. Good weeks training and then when we get out on the pitch it doesn't work. I think he's being a bit stubborn with the way he wants us to play when it seems clear the players aren't capable of executing that on the pitch with any kind of regularity. 

We should mix up play more often, try playing out from the back and some more direct passing. The latter doesn't work when we have all our players centrally, we need wide players to be making runs to get into space for direct passes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hippo said:

No tbf his results aren't to bad considering he took over mid season.

My concern is his formation of choice appears to be full backs providing the width.

I do sense some of our promising kids won't get a look in with an influx of players to make a short term impact.

Tbf this has been a trend for some time, many teams in the Prem play systems where fullbacks or wingbacks are supposed to provide most of the width while forwards are more narrow. Traditional wingers running along the touchline to make crosses are somewhat out of fashion, or replaced by fullbacks.

There are negatives with it as well and following trends doesn’t make you a visionary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

No, not having this. I’m not melting down and have been vocal in my support of Gerrard. But yesterday was dire for 70 mins and Gerrard has to take some responsibility for that in the way he set us up, motivates the players and in game management all of which were lacking yesterday. He didn’t take responsibility and got shirty with an interviewer instead which was a bit cringey to be honest. 

I absolutely think we need to show patience and site Arteta and Arsenal as a good example. But this is a fan forum, what better place to voice concerns? 

Not particularly aimed at you.

I citicised him for yesterday as well , and have done in the past.

It's aimed at the people who are only energised when we are crap.

As well as at some of the hyperbole.

Every bad performance is " we were never this bad under Deano " etc, people have short memories.

I have concerns myself, but I also acknowledge that it's very early days, as well as the fact that we need a few players, especially for the gaping hole in the middle.

I'm not a huge fan of a narrow setup myself, but early days I saw some of the benefits.

For example, Chelsea are a top side, but they are relatively boring to me, don't they play narrow ish?

So as I said in a comment above, he needs to find flexibility, or it's a waste of some of our talent, and an easy nut for opposition to crack.

I did comment on here from last week, that we were going to be playing an Arsenal team in fine form, and foresaw this reaction coming after an almost inevitable loss.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, jim said:

Christ we’ve had a narrow loss to a top 4 chasing team, a very good Arsenal team who’s current form is only bettered by Citeh and Liverpool. 

The meltdown is hilarious. The guy took over a shit show and has been here 5 minutes. Judge him next season.

Agreed, to change the club from where we were/are to where we want to be is a 1.5 season journey.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

See the Gerrard slaters are back out in force.

How about leave it out for this season, then next season slate him all you like. 

Fast forward to 2022/3

"It's one game FFS" 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Tbf this has been a trend for some time, many teams in the Prem play systems where fullbacks or wingbacks are supposed to provide most of the width while forwards are more narrow. Traditional wingers running along the touchline to make crosses are somewhat out of fashion, or replaced by fullbacks.

There are negatives with it as well and following trends doesn’t make you a visionary.

You could argue the changes were enforced yesterday. Ings and Chambers had a niggle and he didn’t want to risk them from the start. Had they been 100% we would have no doubt continued with the formation that won three in a row.

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I think we are going to waste a lot of money because of this issue. 

I like wide attacking players. 

We're 9th in the table with probably the 8th/9th best squad in the league. 

Do people expect us to challenge the top 6 with our team? 

This season was always going to be wholly bedding in and Gerrard finding his way, we're in the top half, so there's not need to panic.

Next season will be the real test when Gerrard has had a full summer window to bring in his own players and a proper pre season with the players.

After that we can properly judge him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim said:

Wasn't really a shit show though was it. We was in a bad spot but it was very much a short moment in time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Nobody is having a meltdown, just questioning the wisdom of Gerrard having a plan and way he wants us to play. Good weeks training and then when we get out on the pitch it doesn't work. I think he's being a bit stubborn with the way he wants us to play when it seems clear the players aren't capable of executing that on the pitch with any kind of regularity. 

We should mix up play more often, try playing out from the back and some more direct passing. The latter doesn't work when we have all our players centrally, we need wide players to be making runs to get into space for direct passes. 

I don’t know why Gerrard doesn’t do what I do…

Save the game before the match and if you don’t get the result you want, reload it…

2 hours ago, jim said:

A shit show? When gerrard took over our squad was good, results weren't

8 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

So he is immune from criticism? Why?

It was always a very divisive appointment right from the get go.

The results under Stevie G aren't actually that bad. I just think there is a lot of unease in the fan base with him as our head coach.(imo of course)

20 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

I don’t know why Gerrard doesn’t do what I do…

Save the game before the match and if you don’t get the result you want, reload it…

I think he did based on how knackered I was last night.  I wasn’t even playing and that game sapped all my energy.  Maybe he reloaded four or five times but couldn’t get the result so gave up, it would explain my tiredness last night having to watch five Villa games back to back 😂😂😂

Â