Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

Gerrard is a rookie manager who doesn’t know what he’s doing

I’m on the Gerrard train but to be fair he is a rookie manager and it’s too early to know whether he doesn’t know what he’s doing or he’s the next messiah.  

Just like we can’t get too excited after beating Leeds and thus 3 great wins, we can’t get down after losing to West Ham.  

These are the early days of the Gerrard era and needs patience and time.  We have a midtable squad that needs shaping so the next 16 months we’ll see if Gerrard is all name and no managerial substance or whether he’s the next Alex Ferguson.  

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I’m not sure anyone is being massively fickle, I think it’s just the case some quite like Gerrard and some are less keen. When Villa win, the ones who like him are vocal, when Villa don’t win, the ones who don’t like him do. Broadly speaking.

If you think Gerrard is the first Villa manager where people have jumped in after a defeat following a good run, I don’t know what you were reading on the site during the past few years, because it certainly wasn’t the Bruce or Smith threads. I reckon I could look back after the opening 4 wins of last season, check into the Smith thread after losing to Leeds and the anger would be incandescent.

Gerrard’s not being treated any differently.

I’m also not totally convinced it’s a new phenomenon (reactionary fans). I think it’s just fans 30 years ago didn’t have access to social media.

Agreed, it was just discussed down the pub or before/after the game.  I know many away games I’m returning on the villa coach and we were slaughtering or praising the manager, and then Monday morning at work it was repeated again with colleagues.

• Like 1

On the whole we've done well with Gerrard as manager but when you look at the wins they've come against Leeds, Southampton, Brighton, Everton, Norwich, Leicester, Palace, and Brighton, so midtable teams at best, we need to start doing better against the better teams, in fact we've got no choice but to start doing better against the better teams as our next five fixtures are Arsenal (h), Wolves (a), Spurs (h), and Liverpool (h), so unless we want to go five defeats in a row again, we need to start getting results.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, useless said:

On the whole we've done well with Gerrard as manager but when you look at the wins they've come against Leeds, Southampton, Brighton, Everton, Norwich, Leicester, Palace, and Brighton, so midtable teams at best, we need to start doing better against the better teams, in fact we've got no choice but to start doing better against the better teams as our next five fixtures are Arsenal (h), Wolves (a), Spurs (h), and Liverpool (h), so unless we want to go five defeats in a row again, we need to start getting results.

I think we have a real chance to beat all of those teams. I’m not saying we’ll win all of them, but winning any individual game wouldn’t surprise me.

plop obviously the most difficult but we can run with any team in the league on our day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Southampton have a horrible run of fixtures coming up. We've that home game in hand. I think 9th is looking pretty nailed on for us now. So I'd want to see some other players getting a start maybe. Gerrard has done a good job since he came in and we've a good base to kick off from next season.

23 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Most of us called him out on bombing the fullbacks forward and he corrected. Hopefully next he'll learn to rotate his squad and use his bench earlier.

but that doesn't necesarily inject the missing attributes the game requires, if the player coming on is much the same.....it only gives fresh legs/lungs

He is limited on how he can influence a game....because the squad lacks the necessary balance and diversity.....unless he puts his boots on and goes on himself.

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Southampton have a horrible run of fixtures coming up. We've that home game in hand. I think 9th is looking pretty nailed on for us now. So I'd want to see some other players getting a start maybe. Gerrard has done a good job since he came in and we've a good base to kick off from next season.

I wouldn't go that far. It was only a few weeks ago Brighton were in the top half and are now 13th. Between about 9th and 14th there will be about 5-6 points in it.

I saw that look on his face, after the game on Sunday....it was reminiscent of the look after the Newcastle and Watford defeats.

He knows what we are lacking, and until the summer......we are stuck with it.

On 13/03/2022 at 19:13, Xela said:

Modern football, where you are only as good as your last game. I hate what the sport has become. 

No....You are only as good as your final league placing.

The sport has never been any different, in that context.

On 13/03/2022 at 19:48, nick76 said:

I’m on the Gerrard train but to be fair he is a rookie manager and it’s too early to know whether he doesn’t know what he’s doing or he’s the next messiah.  

Just like we can’t get too excited after beating Leeds and thus 3 great wins, we can’t get down after losing to West Ham.  

These are the early days of the Gerrard era and needs patience and time.  We have a midtable squad that needs shaping so the next 16 months we’ll see if Gerrard is all name and no managerial substance or whether he’s the next Alex Ferguson.  

Nick, its a big responsibilty, spending huge sums of money.....personally, I would brick it.

Its even more tricky, when you are a new, young manager.......He seen it for himself on Sunday, Rice was head and shoulders above anything we had, in terms of "Authority"

He now knows, what we need and has come out and said it.

We just need to be sure we find one, who can be as effective as him......If we had Rice on Sunday, we would have won that game.

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Nick, its a big responsibilty, spending huge sums of money.....personally, I would brick it.

Its even more tricky, when you are a new, young manager.......He seen it for himself on Sunday, Rice was head and shoulders above anything we had, in terms of "Authority"

He now knows, what we need and has come out and said it.

We just need to be sure we find one, who can be as effective as him......If we had Rice on Sunday, we would have won that game.

Yeah I agree but I’ll wait and see whether he brings in the right players and gets this team going.  The hope is there from me but now he has to do it, he has everything at his grasp from great owners, great club and the infrastructure.  Now he needs to show over the coming 18 months if he can start to translate his greatness as a football player to football manager or will he fail.  He’ll end up somewhere in between but I hope it’s closer to the former rather than the latter but I’m not sure anybody knows which way it’ll go, we just have a few glimpses so far, some amazing and some iffy.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

No....You are only as good as your final league placing.

The sport has never been any different, in that context.

Win a game - everything is rosy

Lose a game - everyone is shit, we need a rebuild. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I agree but I’ll wait and see whether he brings in the right players and gets this team going.  The hope is there from me but now he has to do it, he has everything at his grasp from great owners, great club and the infrastructure.  Now he needs to show over the coming 18 months if he can start to translate his greatness as a football player to football manager or will he fail.  He’ll end up somewhere in between but I hope it’s closer to the former rather than the latter but I’m not sure anybody knows which way it’ll go, we just have a few glimpses so far, some amazing and some iffy.

too true.

On 15/03/2022 at 15:50, Davkaus said:

You can quote more than once per post, TRO ;) 

I'm stuck in my ways, not an internet guru, like you.

Takes me all my time to post an image.

I want my money's worth🤣

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 2

Â