Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I'm about a third of the way through his book now (so almost considered an SG expert) the things that really sticks out is how high his standards are. He loves talent but expects work rate and effort all of the time. I can see him struggling with a number of our current players in that regard.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I'm about a third of the way through his book now (so almost considered an SG expert) the things that really sticks out is how high his standards are. He loves talent but expects work rate and effort all of the time. I can see him struggling with a number of our current players in that regard.

i liked the Crouch interview thingy, where Crouch said something like...."when a new player cam in at Liverpool, but the end of the first training session Gerrard had decided if they were good enough for the club or not"....

as you allude, this doesnt bode well for a few of our players i dont think.....but tbh it probably bodes very well for the club.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i liked the Crouch interview thingy, where Crouch said something like...."when a new player cam in at Liverpool, but the end of the first training session Gerrard had decided if they were good enough for the club or not"....

as you allude, this doesnt bode well for a few of our players i dont think.....but tbh it probably bodes very well for the club.

So Calumn chambers obviously passes the Stevie G quality test then ?  Don't think the first 11 have much to worry about .

I think a lot of our first team players will take this as an opportunity to work harder and to try and impress. At least that is in their best interests judging by the standards Gerrard seemingly sets. Think SG has been a breath of fresh air imo.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2022 at 17:58, paul514 said:

So I had an interesting conversation today with someone who was a coach with us until earlier this year. 

He said...
Ramsey is more like a 10
Our best youth player is JPB but doesn't know if there is a place with him under our current system and will need 2 years more development.

Kesler will go to the top unless he keeps hanging around with dickheads
Carney is great but it could go either way at the moment
Brad Young is just like Jamie Vardy in mentality but not as good and will probably end up in the Championship
Gerrard want the centre backs to play out from the back and to split wide when doing so.
The DCM pulls to the right in between the lines to receive the ball
Gerrard wants a midfield three that works like Liverpool's, hardworking but not often going forward

I can't remember anymore about what he said but it was really interesting.

Are you buying a house by any chance? I had a similar chat with a former youth coach a few days ago.

15 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Work rate - I can't really think of anyone in or around the first 11 that doesn't put a decent shift in - so can't see who think think he would be struggling with ????

Passing ability - if that was the criteria than I could see Stevie G having issues with lots of our players.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2022 at 16:04, Indigo said:

If we finally beat Brentford but nobody was there to see it did it actually happen?

Is that Bart Simpson in the background or Art Garfunkel?

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I've just finished his book, really good read....but I kinda knew his type of character, before I read it....you only have to watch him play, and listen to him, to know what he is like ....a warrior and "never say die" diehard.

Just about sums up my approach to football....I too love talent, but effort , work rate & desire is central to my view on the game too....some of the most talented players in our game, work hard and try hard as a given.

I too think some will go by the wayside, and others will knuckle down and try to improve....It will be interesting to see, moving forward.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the way SG is going throught the side, with competition a central theme to his thoughts..

For too long fan favourites have been left in situe, unchallenged....not that much wrong with that when they do the business....but standards can easily slip.

That is now being challenged...and we are seeing, whose up for the challenge.

To improve on midtable, some things have to improve and losing 11 games so far, is an indication of that....Newcastle have one less, Burnley have 3 less.

Goals "for" strangely, we have 2 more than Spurs, in 7th place....so we need to continue to score,as we are( only failed in 3 league games) but keep more clean sheets... we are currently ( league table)conceding more than we are scoring, that has to be reversed, although in SG's tenure of form, we are 7th, so it is changing.

I accept, that not all our flaws will be ironed out in one window and the current changes are welcome....but the mood to win, is also, being worked on thankfully.

Edited by TRO
  • Thanks 1

I just had a guy around to look at my curtains. He says he was villa manager after Sherwood but wouldn't tell me anymore than that.

He said...

McGinn has a cute little butt and a cheeky smile

I can't remember anymore about what he said but it was really interesting 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, hippo said:

Passing ability - if that was the criteria than I could see Stevie G having issues with lots of our players.

As good as Gerrard was, he had weaknesses himself. Not great in tight spaces and prone to the occasional error.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I've just finished his book, really good read....but I kinda knew his type of character, before I read it....you only have to watch him play, and listen to him, to know what he is like ....a warrior and "never say die" diehard.

Just about sums up my approach to football....I too love talent, but effort , work rate & desire is central to my view on the game too....some of the most talented players in our game, work hard and try hard as a given.

I too think some will go by the wayside, and others will knuckle down and try to improve....It will be interesting to see, moving forward.

I think what impresses me most is that his focus on effort and competitiveness allows him to succeed below the top level. Many players of his talent wouldn't be able to play alongside or coach those who can't do the same things. I think his time in Scotland really helps in that respect. 

• Like 1

Â