Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Our club record in the Premier League is 5 wins in a row which we did a couple of times in the Brian Little era mid 90’s.

There was also that infamous run under O’Neil in 08/09 where we won 8 from 9, with only Arsenal holding us to a draw on Boxing Day.

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Our club record in the Premier League is 5 wins in a row which we did a couple of times in the Brian Little era mid 90’s.

There was also that infamous run under O’Neil in 08/09 where we won 8 from 9, with only Arsenal holding us to a draw on Boxing Day.

Under o'neill i think we went on a run of 7 away wins in a row - might be wrong though!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Under o'neill i think we went on a run of 7 away wins in a row - might be wrong though!

That checks out. Nov 15 2008 - Feb 7 2009

Arsenal, Everton(that game late Ashley winner), West Ham, Hull, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Blackburn

Actually unbeaten in 13 

Home: 2W 4D

Away: 7W 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, LondonLax said:

And we **** battered them that day.

• Thanks 1

Interesting video about how the Great 2007 Milan team played with a Christmas Tree formation. I think the goal for Ancelotti was to get the best out of Pirlo and Kaka in the system. But it's important how the midfield three are adaptable. I see Coutinho like our Kaka and Buendia like our Seedorf . I think the midfield has to be different these days due to how much counter pressing teams do, and how quickly teams attack in transition. We are vulnerable without a CDM "destroyer" type player attuned to breaking up opposition attacks in transition.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2022 at 09:20, ozvillafan said:

Sorry to crop your post - just wanted to highlight this bit.

I think Celtic's run will continue since their coach, Ange Postecoglou, has a history of getting long runs out of his sides.

We had our record run under Smith. I'm wondering if we will get one under Gerrard....

... and I think we will and, looking at our fixtures from here on in, I think it will be this year.

Does he have them on a high fibre diet?

• Haha 2

Another extremely impressive press conference. The answers he gives are A+ every single time. Brilliant responses to the Buendia questions at the end. The Aura of the bloke is undeniable. Really gives off vibes that he’s not just here to get us into Europe. Way he talks makes it feel like he wants to get to the very top of the tree.

• Like 2

Just now, Zatman said:

I am not sure I would take that and either would Gerrard. Leeds, Newcastle, Watford and Brighton we should be aiming for comfortable wins. Southampton is a bit of a bogey side for us but are beatable

Obviously we aim for wins but have to be realistic too. How many times in our Premier League history have we won 4 or 5 in a row?We managed 4 last season and there was talk of being close to breaking records.

Cant help but feel you’re setting your expectations to have a dig at Gerrard ;)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

From Sunday he will have managed us for more league games this season

And? The team was on its arse after losing seven out of 11 games. Gerrard doesn’t have a magic wand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VillaJ100 said:

Anyone looking at 5 games 5 wins for us in the prem is really employing wishful thinking. We ain't mid 90's Utd and going to roll over every team. 8-10 points from 5 games is more realistic 

I agree that 5 wins would be a step too far but at some point this team is going to really click. The amount of quality we have is pretty insane. 

Imagine supporting another prem team and then looking at a starting line up including Coutinho Buendia Watkins Ramsey McGinn and Digne and thinking what they could do to your team attackingwise. And then looking at the bench and seeing Traore Ings Bailey Chukwuemeka sitting there ready to come on and make a claim for a starting spot. It is mental 

• Thanks 1

Â