Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Just now, Zatman said:

I just think the whole policy has changed fir a quick win policy for Gerrard to get him the Liverpool job. Yes its absurd but it just seems that way 

If they wanted to join, no way they sanction the Coutinho/Digne deals for Smith 

How many proven players did Smith get? Ings not his deal, arguably Barkley 

Well, Coutinho wouldn't have been interested, we know that. And Digne was a funny set of circumstances, I don't think he'd have been overly interested in the summer even if Gerrard was here.

Purslow is a goof, we all know that. Although I think he's been desperate to get Gerrard here for a while, I don't think he's going to let him spend to get another job away from Villa.

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I just think the whole policy has changed fir a quick win policy for Gerrard to get him the Liverpool job. Yes its absurd but it just seems that way 

So the people that are running Aston Villa have changed their policy in order for their manager to get another job? 

Have a day off 🤣

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Well, Coutinho wouldn't have been interested, we know that. And Digne was a funny set of circumstances, I don't think he'd have been overly interested in the summer even if Gerrard was here.

Purslow is a goof, we all know that. Although I think he's been desperate to get Gerrard here for a while, I don't think he's going to let him spend to get another job away from Villa.

I think Purslow has short term ambitions as well above Villa. He is looking for an FA position or Premier League position 

Just now, av1 said:

So the people that are running Aston Villa have changed their policy in order for their manager to get another job? 

Have a day off 🤣

Then why did we change our complete transfer policy in one window 🤔

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

That was a terrible result. This is a Leeds side without Bamford and Phillips and we can’t finish them off. 

I mentioned how we’re only a 1 half team in the match thread and was told we’ve been that way for a while which in fact I do agree with. It’s now a Gerrard problem as well though and so far hasn’t shown any sign of fixing this whatsoever. 

Gerrard speaks well and says what you want to hear but I hope the media can calm down with the hype now just because of his name. They make out he’s done some incredible job but honestly it’s been bang average so far. 

• Like 2

Played 12 won 5 Gerrard for Villa 

Played 14 won 5 Smith at Norwich 

Not much difference in results except the quality of players 

What I will say it was probably the right time for Smith to go but we were told we would get an upgrade and we got a guy training on the job

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Then why did we change our complete transfer policy in one window 🤔

Maybe because, rightly or wrongly, he wants to back the manager fully? You can disagree with the change of approach (and I have some concerns too) but absolutely ridiculous tinfoil hat stuff to think it's all some plot to get Gerrard the Liverpool job. Really bizarre.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If they wanted to join, no way they sanction the Coutinho/Digne deals for Smith 

How many proven players did Smith get? Ings not his deal, arguably Barkley 

They let Smith spend big money on unproven players, which is surely more of a risk?

Watkins £30 mil, Buendia £40 mil. Targett and Cash were around £16 mil each i think, expensive for championship full backs.

Maybe they just realised that 'potential' only gets you so far, and at some point you need to start spending on proven quality. We now have a manager who has the standing to attract bigger names - the question is whether he has the judgement to get the right ones for our team.

For all the stuff about older players, we had 1 outfield player over 30 before Gerrard, and we still only have 1 outfield player over 30.

Bigger issue atm is for Gerrard to sort out our tendancy to far too easily lose control of games. We are playing really well in patches, but can equally swing completely the opposite way even within a half.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Purslow has short term ambitions as well above Villa. He is looking for an FA position or Premier League position 

PL job will bring big bonus bucks, but the day to day Villa job could be very profitable if we're a top club. PL streaming money talks will be carnage and launch the new superleague when they happen.

Are people genuinely concerned that signing Coutinho is a bad idea because he’s not young enough?

He’s only three years older than Jack and his body has probably been subjected to a lot less alcohol during that time.

Edited by Panto_Villan

2 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

I think a lot of people forget the starting XI and position we were in about 3 seasons ago lol

Even two seasons ago we were in a hell of a relegation battle which to this day I have no idea how we survived.

• Like 1

Â