Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

So I had an interesting conversation today with someone who was a coach with us until earlier this year. 

He said...
Ramsey is more like a 10
Our best youth player is JPB but doesn't know if there is a place with him under our current system and will need 2 years more development.

Kesler will go to the top unless he keeps hanging around with dickheads
Carney is great but it could go either way at the moment
Brad Young is just like Jamie Vardy in mentality but not as good and will probably end up in the Championship
Gerrard want the centre backs to play out from the back and to split wide when doing so.
The DCM pulls to the right in between the lines to receive the ball
Gerrard wants a midfield three that works like Liverpool's, hardworking but not often going forward

I can't remember anymore about what he said but it was really interesting.

That will never work. Ramsey isn't a no 10 in a million years.

The CBs bringing the ball forward (to any great extent) won't work either.

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

That might not be the entire system though, perhaps just a small part of it?

Yeah it could be very small part of it. But the reference (imo) was that it would be a foundation of our style of play. Pretty sure it won't be. 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Yeah it could be very small part of it. But the reference (imo) was that it would be a foundation of our style of play. Pretty sure it won't be. 

I suppose it would be a foundation of play, playing out from the back as they get the ball first. It wasn't said like that though.

Just now, paul514 said:

The only thing he mentioned about Liverpool was the midfield three and he meant the current Liverpool

I know.

All imo of course. But I interpreted it as the CBs stepping forward - as Liverpool did in the 80s. It's not Liverpool s (or anyone's) current style accepted.

Just now, hippo said:

I know.

All imo of course. But I interpreted it as the CBs stepping forward - as Liverpool did in the 80s. It's not Liverpool s (or anyone's) current style accepted.

I'm not old enough to know that 😂

I'm just thinking through exactly what it he and it was in reference to releasing the ball along the lines of ...... the centre backs move wider and release the ball with the DM taking up a space where a right back would be between the lines....

By that you can assume the full backs have moved on and the midfield hasn't rushed forward based on his other comment on them wanting to emulate what Liverpool's 3 do, which is not a lot going forward. I should have asked him more really but we were talking about all sorts of shit and I don't like to be weird and bug people.

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

So I had an interesting conversation today with someone who was a coach with us until earlier this year. 

He said...
Ramsey is more like a 10
Our best youth player is JPB but doesn't know if there is a place with him under our current system and will need 2 years more development.

Kesler will go to the top unless he keeps hanging around with dickheads
Carney is great but it could go either way at the moment
Brad Young is just like Jamie Vardy in mentality but not as good and will probably end up in the Championship
Gerrard want the centre backs to play out from the back and to split wide when doing so.
The DCM pulls to the right in between the lines to receive the ball
Gerrard wants a midfield three that works like Liverpool's, hardworking but not often going forward

I can't remember anymore about what he said but it was really interesting.

So he worked for us under Gerrard, but has since left? 

Odd if he left before Gerrard yet knows the intricacies of what Gerrard wants.

Those comments could be taken from watching us, and the players mentioned, play.

19 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think the full point is that fans on VT know less than the people working at Villa Park. Have you considered that our perspective may be wrong and that Gerrard and the coaches may know more than us and may be right?

Preposterous! - Jackie Chiles | Meme Generator

• Haha 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh you can see he wants midfielders to hold more as the full backs are practically wingers. 

It's something I thought about when we were all talking about a DM in the window just gone.

When we were linked with Bentencur I wondered if a true DCM was what the club actually wanted and if they wanted to go down the Liverpool route.

For me I prefer a double Pivot and I would want a true DCM next to a 6/8 type player so It isn't really what I want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

So he worked for us under Gerrard, but has since left? 

Odd if he left before Gerrard yet knows the intricacies of what Gerrard wants.

Those comments could be taken from watching us, and the players mentioned, play.

No he left before Gerrard, but without giving away who it was he didn't work with the first team.

It was definitely inside info not his observations

Â