Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think what impresses me most is that his focus on effort and competitiveness allows him to succeed below the top level. Many players of his talent wouldn't be able to play alongside or coach those who can't do the same things. I think his time in Scotland really helps in that respect. 

I think that's also his ability to understand what's necessary for success to occur, whether that's coming from three to nil down in a CL final to eventually win, or as a poor example, him seeing development occur in a player at a lower level that you mention, say they finally can grasp and execute on an aspect of the sport he's been teaching them.

He's got what's required because he's willing to invest the time, energy and thought to see what it's going to take, and then the determination to see it through.

I'd say that's almost definitely because he never lost touch with what got him from that kid in the park with a dream to the grown man, who made dreams come to be true. He would have learnt a lot about himself and people in that time.  

Edited by A'Villan

3 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I think what impresses me most is that his focus on effort and competitiveness allows him to succeed below the top level. Many players of his talent wouldn't be able to play alongside or coach those who can't do the same things. I think his time in Scotland really helps in that respect. 

Gabby was getting slaughtered in his thread today (mostly deserved), but he basically was saying Keane was unable to do this, and it's not the first time I've heard that said about him.

It probably helps that Gerrard has played with some proper bad players in his time 😂. The Roy Hodgson - Dalglish era was basically Liverpool's version of our Houllier - Garde days.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Yeah....I think he has a handle on that, unlike Roy Keane who thinks every player should be as good as him.

However, SG does seem to be in a hurry to get us to be playing elite football....I think the owners are too.

I think Rooney will head in the same direction, looks a winner too, although I think we would all agree not as smart as Gerrard. Lampard I have my doubts, just don't seem to have the drive or winning mentality, although he was a special player,  not sure he'll make it as a manger, time will tell at Everton I guess.

On 04/02/2022 at 19:42, cheltenham_villa said:

I agree wholeheartedly…

The apparent “two horse race” was won by the same horse (Celtic) for 9 years on the trot while the other horse was making its way back up through the leagues after being punished for financial irregularities (funny that Barcelona and other more fashionable clubs don’t get the same treatment)…

but who was manager of Rangers when they won the title…

Gerrard…

and now he has left, I’d bet my bollocks that Celtic will go on another streak of title wins…

Gerrard is a born winner… He oozes charisma, a never say die attitude and, of all of England’s “golden generation” of the 2000s? Gerrard was always going to be the one that made the best manager…

In my opinion

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

I agree wholeheartedly…

The apparent “two horse race” was won by the same horse (Celtic) for 9 years on the trot while the other horse was making its way back up through the leagues after being punished for financial irregularities (funny that Barcelona and other more fashionable clubs don’t get the same treatment)…

but who was manager of Rangers when they won the title…

Gerrard…

and now he has left, I’d bet my bollocks that Celtic will go on another streak of title wins…

Gerrard is a born winner… He oozes charisma, a never say die attitude and, of all of England’s “golden generation” of the 2000s? Gerrard was always going to be the one that made the best manager…

In my opinion

Completely agree with this. The “it’s an easy league where either rangers or Celtic always win” narrative of some of the doubters wasn’t right at all. Until gerrard arrived the SPL had been a 1 horse race for over a decade- Rangers hadn’t come anywhere near winning it and had finished third in the previous season. Then, not only did he win the league, he absolutely smashed it with an invincible record and he also got rangers performing credibly in Europe.

Simply put, he restored rangers back to their 00s success levels within a couple of seasons after multiple years of stagnation. It’s genuinely a massive achievement and more than anything his supposed peers have done such as lampard who’s main success was getting derby a top 6 championship finish and losing a play off final

• Like 1

23 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I think Rooney will head in the same direction, looks a winner too, although I think we would all agree not as smart as Gerrard. Lampard I have my doubts, just don't seem to have the drive or winning mentality, although he was a special player,  not sure he'll make it as a manger, time will tell at Everton I guess.

I'm not really sold on Rooney yet. I like his loyalty and determination though.

In regards to Lampard I think he is a good manager, not top manager, but very good at implimenting a good pass and move style, and trusts young players and develops them. Lampard was a slow burner as a player and could well be as a manager. He didn't become a top player til 25 -26, and many were sceptical when Chelsea signed him, particularly hammers fans. Lampard is an intelligent guy, a thinker, so he will be soaking in everything he's experienced and strategising i'm sure. He could still make that step up.

Gerrard has really impressed me! How articulate he is, common sense underlines every point he makes, good humour, the drive that ozzes out from him. The team he has built around him is equally impressive and at this stage i'd be more surprised if he didn't make it as a top manager. However he has proven nothing yet, Villa is a much easier job now (compared to working under our previous 3 owners), but it's still a huge task he has on his hands and there are no guarantees. I'm very optimistic, but also aware he may not be the manager I hope he is. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Rangers have managed to turn a 4 point advantage over Celtic into a 4 point deficit since Gerrard left them

It was mentioned by journalists who cover the SPL at the time, that it would be a very good time for Gerrard to leave as the squad needed regenerating and Celtic won't be as bad as last season. I wouldn't put the point swing all down to Gerrard leaving.

7 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

It was mentioned by journalists who cover the SPL at the time, that it would be a very good time for Gerrard to leave as the squad needed regenerating and Celtic won't be as bad as last season. I wouldn't put the point swing all down to Gerrard leaving.

Gerrard left them mid season and Rangers were 4 points clear, its not like the change was made during the summer and each team had a transfer window and preseason. During this season, Rangers results have got worse since Gerrard left. Yes, Celtic have got better but that doesn't excuse Rangers drawing with Ross County and Aberdeen. That is down to how the manger has the team playing

17 hours ago, JPJCB said:

Completely agree with this. The “it’s an easy league where either rangers or Celtic always win” narrative of some of the doubters wasn’t right at all. Until gerrard arrived the SPL had been a 1 horse race for over a decade- Rangers hadn’t come anywhere near winning it and had finished third in the previous season. Then, not only did he win the league, he absolutely smashed it with an invincible record and he also got rangers performing credibly in Europe.

Simply put, he restored rangers back to their 00s success levels within a couple of seasons after multiple years of stagnation. It’s genuinely a massive achievement and more than anything his supposed peers have done such as lampard who’s main success was getting derby a top 6 championship finish and losing a play off final

I dont want to shit on his achievements but he took 3 seasons to win the league with a really big budget. He also lost a title to Neil Lennon who is looking for the Sunderland job now in League One

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I dont want to shit on his achievements but he took 3 seasons to win the league with a really big budget. He also lost a title to Neil Lennon who is looking for the Sunderland job now in League One

Really? You’ve been doing it since he walked through the door tbf.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Rangers with Gerrard this seasonin the SPL - 2.31 ppg (9 wins, 3 draws, 1 loss)

Rangers without Gerrard this season in the SPL - 2.41 ppg (9 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss)

Look, I think he is a good manager and has done a good job here so far, but let's not make out that Rangers have fallen apart or something since he left. Celtic have just gone on a fantastic run.

Sorry to crop your post - just wanted to highlight this bit.

I think Celtic's run will continue since their coach, Ange Postecoglou, has a history of getting long runs out of his sides.

We had our record run under Smith. I'm wondering if we will get one under Gerrard....

... and I think we will and, looking at our fixtures from here on in, I think it will be this year.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

The budget was still less than Celtics though. 

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Sorry to crop your post - just wanted to highlight this bit.

I think Celtic's run will continue since their coach, Ange Postecoglou, has a history of getting long runs out of his sides.

We had our record run under Smith. I'm wondering if we will get one under Gerrard....

... and I think we will and, looking at our fixtures from here on in, I think it will be this year.

I dont think we will get a record run under Gerrard. As a club we struggle to win 3 in a row at this level, no way we will beat 10

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Earlier in the season they beat Ross County 4-2 under Gerrard. This time they drew 3-3. Not exactly wildly different results 

Not to knock the rest of your post but those are pretty significantly different results. One of them is a draw, and in the other one team has scored twice as many as the other :)

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I dont think we will get a record run under Gerrard. As a club we struggle to win 3 in a row at this level, no way we will beat 10

Agreed. Highly unlikely we’ll have the best team in this league. 

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Wot you on about? - we've just come off a 1 win 6 run ?

Â