Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

4 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I agree that 5 wins would be a step too far but at some point this team is going to really click. The amount of quality we have is pretty insane. 

Imagine supporting another prem team and then looking at a starting line up including Coutinho Buendia Watkins Ramsey McGinn and Digne and thinking what they could do to your team attackingwise. And then looking at the bench and seeing Traore Ings Bailey Chukwuemeka sitting there ready to come on and make a claim for a starting spot. It is mental 

We do have a great team. I'm hopeful we will get there! 

13 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Anyone looking at 5 games 5 wins for us in the prem is really employing wishful thinking. We ain't mid 90's Utd and going to roll over every team. 8-10 points from 5 games is more realistic 

Depends on which those games are doesn’t it? Villa’s next five games are winnable and less than 12 points would be a little disappointing. After those games there’s five games that look much more difficult, we could be lucky to get 3-5 points from those. 

13 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I agree that 5 wins would be a step too far but at some point this team is going to really click. The amount of quality we have is pretty insane. 

Imagine supporting another prem team and then looking at a starting line up including Coutinho Buendia Watkins Ramsey McGinn and Digne and thinking what they could do to your team attackingwise. And then looking at the bench and seeing Traore Ings Bailey Chukwuemeka sitting there ready to come on and make a claim for a starting spot. It is mental 

🙌

14 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Anyone looking at 5 games 5 wins for us in the prem is really employing wishful thinking. We ain't mid 90's Utd and going to roll over every team. 8-10 points from 5 games is more realistic 

We've just taken 16 points from 10 games which included 4 of the top 5. Our next 5 features no one above 9th, pre-last night's games average ppg position below 14th (which is lower than the 6 non-top-4 games we've just taken 15 points from!), three games at home. Taking 8 from the the next 5 games would be pretty disappointing.

As I've outlined elsewhere on here, only last season did we put together a European-qualification-level run of results over an extended period (the same number of games we have left this season) and that was with arguably a worse team and manager and a more difficult set of fixtures. This team right now should be more than capable of rolling over some of our upcoming opponents and we should absolutely be aiming to win all of the next 5 if we have serious ambitions for European qualification next season. As it stands with the players available it's only really the Brighton game where I could perhaps understand us dropping points.

Like how he's seemed to raise the profile of the club just from his name. Like how we potentially might be able to attract better players with him as manager.

Don't think he's yet demonstrated that he's got anything but rudimentary coaching abilities. 

He'll need very good players to get us where we want to be. I don't think he has the skills to improve the side with coaching alone.

The team were outplayed by a well drilled, organised side in Leeds. They had a clear game plan with practiced interplay. We had Coutinho.

Hope he grows into the role and he improves.

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 1

He’s done well since coming in. Nothing spectacular, but we’ve improved. 

He should have been absolutely doing everything he could on the touch line to make sure we went in at half time 3-1 up tonight. That’s where the game was lost. If we didn’t concede, we win the game. 

• Like 2

He’ll be pleased with some of our attacking play first half but furious with our defending throughout the whole game. At times it was shambolic. Dan James should not be winning a header in our six yard box. Countless times there running off the ball meant that we were chasing shadows. He’ll be disappointed tonight.

He needs to take some of the blame for tonight. Everybody knows Leeds overload the flanks and I am now starting to think he is over extending the defence when the reality is we cannot reach the levels he expects with the players available. We are so ****ing fragile it's laughable. From having one of the best defences, to a shit show that cannot manage themselves. Really clinical going forward, especially with Leeds becoming over confident after terrorising us for 20 minutes but boy was the midfield and defence woeful. We didn't turn up for the 2nd and Gerrard needs to take the blame for that. He also should've hooked Watkins, brought Sanson on alongside Luiz and pushed McGinn higher up the pitch because he was a passenger at times along with Watkins. If Smith had of been in charge of that performance tonight he'd get slated and rightly so. It feels like a loss tbh.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s done well since coming in. Nothing spectacular, but we’ve improved. 

He should have been absolutely doing everything he could on the touch line to make sure we went in at half time 3-1 up tonight. That’s where the game was lost. If we didn’t concede, we win the game. 

Not so sure. They hit bar at 1-0. We had a purple patch towards the end of the first half where countinho was sublime.

Other we looked very disorganized in all areas imo.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Think tonight showed us on one hand what SG can achieve, and on the other what he can't fix, after one January window. 

Very nicely put. 

We need three players in the Summer. A striker, a centre half and a defensive midfielder. 

I think Gerrard will do well with a full Summer window and pre season under his belt. 

• Like 3

Â