Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Referee's performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/21 at 23:59

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't know what to say. 10 minutes of madness v Wolverhampton has ruined our season.

I think that's it for Smith but I would say equally the blame is the summer transfer window. The explanation of bringing in 3 players to replace Grealish made no sense and this team is completely unbalanced, without a plan, and steaming towards the bottom 3. 

I honestly thought at the time it was a totally brilliant move, replacing Jack with three quality players, that would give us more options. Little did I know they had zero plan on how to integrate them. 

• Like 2

Whilst I don't like people being sacked, especially a nice one that got us promoted and playing lovely football. I think it's probably time for Deano to go, I certainly won't be celebrating, unlike some folk on here.

Whatever happens it will probably be best for Villa, which is all that matters.

Deano is Villa so he's prob hurting just as much as the fans are.

I can't imagine who will be next through the door

1 minute ago, vreitti said:

I honestly thought at the time it was a totally brilliant move, replacing Jack with three quality players, that would give us more options. Little did I know they had zero plan on how to integrate them. 

The one who gets the best player wins the trade.

• Like 1

Just now, vreitti said:

Ings never made sense to me in our current set up. Bailey and Buendia in fairness have had injuries and internationals but the jury is still out. 

I don't know is it worse for Villa to ruin your weekend before it starts, or right at the end on a Sunday? 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Did people watch the first half tonight with their eyes closed?

As you quoted me I presume you’re asking me if I did? Don’t feel like getting into a argument on the internet to be honest, we’re all hurting after another disappointing result. Have to say that as bad as we were in the first half though, it was only 1-0 at half time. I’ve found our performances worse in several games this season than tonight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I doubt Dean had much say. He simply doesn't know how to work with them

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Whilst I don't like people being sacked, especially a nice one that got us promoted and playing lovely football. I think it's probably time for Deano to go, I certainly won't be celebrating, unlike some folk on here.

Whatever happens it will probably be best for Villa, which is all that matters.

Deano is Villa so he's prob hurting just as much as the fans are.

I can't imagine who will be next through the door

My personal position is that I want Deano to stay and turn it around

• Like 1

Just now, skell said:

Smith should continue without a doubt. He hasnt even had his first choice team playing yet. Tonight we had Ings, Konsa and Luiz out. It's been the same every week. He deserves a chance to play his first 11 at full fitness. 

This is a fair point. The three new "big" signings (Ings/Buendia/Bailey) have been on the pitch together for 35 minutes, I think they said. Still, we were supposed to have depth to deal with these problems. And the problems are clearly more than injuries.

I said before that I'd give him until the end of the season unless he lost the dressing room or ended up in a relegation battle. We're headed towards the latter. I'm still not quite ready to pull the trigger. But he's running out of time to turn it around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skell said:

Smith should continue without a doubt. He hasnt even had his first choice team playing yet. Tonight we had Ings, Konsa and Luiz out. It's been the same every week. He deserves a chance to play his first 11 at full fitness. 

Without a doubt? We’ve just lost 5 games on the spin and we’re 11 games. Were in a relegation battle, there’s a big chance we’ll be 17th by Monday. The thing is I doubt Dean knows what to do with his strongest 11. Our 2021 form proves that. 

This is just another game to add to the catalogue of poor performances.

Problem is, though, do we have any faith that Smith can steer us clear of relegation. I don't.

I just hope the owners and CEO have already planned for this eventuality, because it has looked like it was coming for some time.

18 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I don't disagree. It's not good enough, but sacking DS is the easy part. Getting the right manager in is much much harder. 

DS has my support until he's not manager anymore, I'll then transfer that support to the new manager. 

Ok, but it isn’t working, we are 3 years into this and we are worse than ever. He is not the man, how many straight defeats does it need? 6, 7, 8?

Bruce went at a similar stage in the season last time, I think it’s best to change now.

Edited by thunderball

If I was a rich man, I would first make enquiries whether I could buy a rickshaw in Birmingham. If not, I will call up a workshop and ask if they could build one for me. 

I would then fly to London, take a cab to Birmingham, pick up my rickshaw, and go to Bodymoor with a big net.

I would then load Tuanzebe into my rickshaw, and tow the **** back to Manchester myself.

• Like 1

We finally remember how to pass a ball in the second half. Hassenhuttl panics and changes to 3 at the back....

... and we counter by throwing on every forward with 4 at the front.

Tactical masterclass, that one.

12 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Ings never made sense to me in our current set up. Bailey and Buendia in fairness have had injuries and internationals but the jury is still out. 

I don't know is it worse for Villa to ruin your weekend before it starts, or right at the end on a Sunday? 

I think the jury is out, they haven’t had the chance, they are not poor players and who said they all had to play on the pitch at the same time?

The first half was shockingly poor but it stemmed from conceding such an early goal, which had a fair bit of fortune to it. Being on such a bad run of defeats, to be 1 down a couple of minutes in shattered the confidence of what must be an already fragile group of players. The second half was just bloody frustrating. Lots of huff and puff but little quality when it mattered. The added time display just rubbed salt into the wounds, very similar to the Spurs game. Struggled to get the ball then contrived to give it back to them through a series of poor passes and naive challenges. 

A point could've been the basis on which to turn the ship around. Instead the pressure builds on the next game. This doesn't look like a mentally tough side, exemplified by Buendía going off so easily, so it's hard to see us getting anything from the next match either. I still support Smith, however.

Â