Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Referee's performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/21 at 23:59

6 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Ok, but it isn’t working, we are 3 years into this and we are worse than ever. He is not the man, how many straight defeats does it need? 6, 7, 8?

Bruce went at a similar stage in the season last time, I think it’s best to change now.

Just so we're clear 3 years ago we were mid-table in the championship. DS got us up a year early. But this season hasn't been good enough. I could understand him being replaced now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Without a doubt? We’ve just lost 5 games on the spin and we’re 11 games. Were in a relegation battle, there’s a big chance we’ll be 17th by Monday. The thing is I doubt Dean knows what to do with his strongest 11. Our 2021 form proves that. 

Well, let's give him a chance.  He deserves that. 2021 has been all about Grealish and not having players available

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, TomC said:

This is a fair point. The three new "big" signings (Ings/Buendia/Bailey) have been on the pitch together for 35 minutes, I think they said. Still, we were supposed to have depth to deal with these problems. And the problems are clearly more than injuries.

I said before that I'd give him until the end of the season unless he lost the dressing room or ended up in a relegation battle. We're headed towards the latter. I'm still not quite ready to pull the trigger. But he's running out of time to turn it around.

I agree completely. Let's not forget our south american travels, traore and Sanson (the depth). Its been stacked against us. Clearly we cant go on forever like this but let's see him with a fit squad

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I doubt Dean had much say. He simply doesn't know how to work with them

Well that's simply unacceptable. Ings for one, is an established PL player. Half the world will know how to get the best out of him. Buendia isn't really an enigma either. We've all seen how he was effectively utilized at Norwich. I can give some leeway with Bailey. All in all, it's just not good enough, and as many have already alluded, we aren't even moving in the right direction. 

2 minutes ago, Bosnichs Muller corner said:

Until it gets worse (say lose the next 2) I'm not sure the obvious managerial answer is out there at the moment. If Smith is replaced it will be a punt which may (or may not) have a chance to be better than what is happening now. Sherwood / Garde etc. 

What if we draw one? Is that good enough does he earn another few games then? We’re joint 17th on points and could go 18th this weekend 

4 minutes ago, skell said:

Well, let's give him a chance.  He deserves that. 2021 has been all about Grealish and not having players available

Yeah let’s chance it. Bottom three by Christmas is a risk, and if he turns it around and we can wait till the next time this happens under Smith. And if it continues to go downhill it’s going to be less and less attractive to any potential new manager. There’s an international break now, 2 weeks for whoever to come in and work with the quad. If we don’t take the chance now we’re in for it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Yeah let’s chance it. Bottom three by Christmas is a risk, and if he turns it around and we can wait till the next time this happens under Smith. And if it continues to go downhill it’s going to be less and less attractive to any potential new manager. There’s an international break now, 2 weeks for whoever to come in and work with the quad. If we don’t take the chance now we’re in for it. 

You're assuming it will go badly. Let's wait for a fit bailey,  fit buendia. Ings and Luiz playing. It could go well. Have faith

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skell said:

You're assuming it will go badly. Let's wait for a fit bailey,  fit buendia. Ings and Luiz playing. It could go well. Have faith

Missing Dougie has clearly hurt us the last two matches. Missing Konsa hurt us tonight. But the problems go deeper. If we get a run with our best players healthy, we should avoid relegation, but top half of the table is looking very unlikely.

6 minutes ago, TomC said:

Missing Dougie has clearly hurt us the last two matches. Missing Konsa hurt us tonight. But the problems go deeper. If we get a run with our best players healthy, we should avoid relegation, but top half of the table is looking very unlikely.

To be honest I never saw a top half finish I felt last season was an annomily. With no crowds and a superstar player saw us get results against teams we don’t normally. Losing said superstar and not sorting the glaring midfield deficiencies never gave me the impression of moving forward 

• Thanks 1

It’s not all about Dean though is it? He is being badly let down by his major signings. Bailey doesn’t look like he can cope with the intensity of the premier league and Buendia has to realise that 30 second cameos now and again is a pathetic.contribution. He asked to come off against Woves and cramped up after an hour tonight. He’s a professional footballer ffs. Perhaps he needs to look at his diet or something or not f**k off to Argentina for two weeks when he doesn’t even make the match day squad when he could be building his fitness.

Â