Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Referee's performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/21 at 23:59

I give the backups a certain amount of leeway, but McGinn, Watkins, Bailey and Buendia were all very poor and need to do much better. Martinez MotM, no contest. Far too good for this team and he'll be gone next season. Special mention for El Ghazi, you useless cheating word removed

I thank Smith for what he's done, but once again, we started a game in reverse and let the opposition absolutely dominate us, they cut through us with ease. Better in the second half, but too little, too late.

Smith should leave with his head held high before he oversees the undoing of his success. If our owners don't remove him, it speaks volumes about their ambitions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let’s not dress this up, Southampton aren’t very good at all.

An absolute shambles of a first half. Disgusting even.

Slight improvement second half but about 12 formations used during the game shows how desperate we were. 

I think the players now need to hear a new voice and motivator. They look lost, as do I.

Thanks Dean, but we need to salvage our season and it starts now.

I’m not even angry tonight, I just feel flat and need a lift, as do the players.

• Like 3

We deserved a draw for a much improved second half. We didn’t get it, and the bottom line is, we still have some serious problems.

Good game: Martinez (our Man of the Match far too often)

Satisfactory game: Mings, Targett (his best in a while, not saying much), Buendia (mediocre first half, good second), Watkins (ditto), Ramsey

Mediocre game: Nakamba, Cash (first goal and some other bad mistakes negating a few good moments), Davis (lost a good Ramsey pass)

Invisible game: McGinn

Poor game: El Ghazi (contributed little, should have been given a second yellow at least twice), Bailey (always trying to play hero and failing), Tuanzebe

Not enough involvement to say: Archer

Beyond individual performances, the marking was abysmal again. That’s down to coaching.

All our pressure in the second half confirmed that, when we can get set up in the attacking third, we’re a capable team. We still have limited options to pass or bring the ball forward.

My sole hope for this season? Avoiding relegation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

When he brings on Davis you know it’s time to go, thanks Dean but you have to go after 5 losses in a row we don’t even look like winning under you now

It's not just 5 losses on the trot.  Our form in 2021 is awful and it has lasted more than 10 months now.

• Like 2

Â