Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Referee's performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/21 at 23:59

45 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

On the second half we probably deserved a draw.

On the first half we probably deserved to be thrown into the sea.

There were signs that the players care in the second half, there were signs that we had a plan and ideas and that he'd done something with them at half time.

That first half though - and that half against Wolves - and the last fifteen against West Ham - and the last ten against Wolves - and the flat performance against Spurs - ugh.

Weight.

I dunno, I genuinely couldn't tell you which way they'll go - it might just come down to what the players are saying about the manager, it might come down to finding a replacement, it might already be done. 

In terms of performance - I thought Mings was decent in both halves, Martinez made a great save and was decent, Buendia played forty five minutes of rubbish, then played twenty minutes of good then ran out of steam, McGinn was playing a role he doesn't do naturally and he was poor, Nakamba isn't anything, El Ghazi was lucky to stay on, Targett and Cash were passable, Tuanzebe is a positional worry but has pace, Watkins worked hard but his finishing wasn't great, Archer was the wrong sub, Davis couldn't get into it and Ramsey at least added a bit of energy. We weren't great individually, but we were worse as a unit - diabolical in the first half - reasonable in the second - incapable of showing our good side for a full ninety minutes.

It's a narrow defeat, but it's our fifth on the bounce.

Weight might tell.

Pretty telling that in your summing up of performances you don't mention Bailey. Anyone could be forgiven for forgetting he was playing - total disappointment.

I don't think I have ever felt less confident that we would score. The only surprise for me was that Soton didn't really punish us. Guess we have our keeper to thank for that.

I don't know about anyone else but I hope Ings is back soon and I would drop Watkins. OK he  worked very hard but he is looking like a poor championship striker at the moment when he has the ball at his feet.

Buendia has to start to click soon, his class is obvious. I wish I could say the same for Bailey but I remain hopeful. We need to remove El Ghazi from the scene and gamble a bit more on the youth.

I wouldn't change the manager at the moment, but he's walking a tightrope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

Absolutely no one because Smith is the best manager in the world ever! 😂

You forgot to mention he’s a nice guy, “one of us”, and has improved us year on year (with the help of £300m)

Edited by briny_ear

Who would vote Buendia man of the match? He was cack!

So the early goal messed up the game plan. It was unlucky from our point of view.

We clearly set up to play on the counter. So when you concede after 2 minutes you have a massive problem, but Smith just stood there. El-Ghazi was having a mare and nearly sent off twice but he was the last player to be taken off! We're lacking ideas and need a creative spark so he goes Steve Bruce on us throws on all the strikers! The player had a go but there was no quality.

Need much better.

45 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This collapse is making me **** depressed. This was not in the script for this season. We are back to being shit again, apparently. 

Glory hunters v supporters ? It’s a tough one 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

At least they showed some character 2nd half. It was a good game in the end to watch for once. Feel sick for Deano.

but why does the team only play, when they've had a rollickin.....we come out, and its a shambles.

Its like a kid who only behaves when he is being shouted at...versus a kid who is just been brought up well and always behaves.

Our team should come out like a team that has been coached and motivated......We should be able to indentify with the managerial influence and motivation, from the off, not wait until half time.

2 hours ago, allani said:

It's not just 5 losses on the trot.  Our form in 2021 is awful and it has lasted more than 10 months now.

For those who want to give him time.....time for what!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

He won’t get sacked, I reckon it would take losing 10 games in a row for Dean to get sacked. 

That means they would risk the club staying in the Prem. ...I don't think they will do that.

There is that much wrong, I can't see Dean changing it.

I like dean smith but the performances are getting worse and maybe a change is needed. It would help if the players had a brain between them, the note being passed around was an embarrassment and fair play to Tyrone mings, hope he gave the athlete (not a striker) a bollocking for the way he tossed it on the ground. I’d never noticed buendia before we signed him and i now know why, 40 mil bloody hell.

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Have to say, when Smith just started throwing attackers on… I lost faith.

We were all over them start of second half, the turning point was Buendia going down with cramp.

But I’d have much rather seen Chukwuemeka come on for Buendia. Not sure what Archer and Davis added to what we already had, and we conceded the midfield.

Shame if Smith goes after this game, but 5 straight defeats will be hard for him to come back from.

And as @NoelVillasays, there are clearly other problems at the moment.

I gave Martinez MOTM, but I thought Mings and Cash played well, and Buendia looked very good in the second half.

I can only assume Bailey isn’t fully fit.

Sad times.

Its not just the 5 straight defeats......Its not convincing reading over the last 25 premier league games.

something is clearly wrong.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I fear for DS. We've played them off the field second half but all they will remember will be the score. 

Maybe a change is needed but we should all remember the season we got relegated, changing managers doesn't necessarily improve results. 

could it actually be any worse?

2 hours ago, kidlewis said:

The issue I have is whilst we have lost five in a row, who can we get in who is way above Smith as a coach?

forget Gerrard, Lampard etc pointless we wouldn’t be any better off.

Which is why I don’t think we should get rid of Smith just yet, unless someone has a great manager who can transform us up a gear 

well right now, Doris the tea lady couldn't do worse.

2 hours ago, richp999 said:

It's just a case of waiting for a suitable replacement to become available and gettable. 

We need the right person, no point replacing until we have that. 

so do we sleep walk in to relegation?....we need to get our finger out then.

• Like 1

Â