Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Referee's performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/21 at 23:59

22 hours ago, TomC said:

Buendia does tend to run himself into the ground over the course of a match. You can't run a press at full tempo for 90 minutes. I can't remember who it was, maybe Jurgen Klopp, who said that you press heavily early in the match, but then pick and choose your moments as the match progresses.

I accept that but I believe stats show Villa to be pretty much bottom of the league in terms of how far they run and how hard they press and, as Shearer pointed out on MOTD last night, the best teams in the league are near the top in both of those categories. Given the amount of coaches we seem to have and the amazing facilities we have, shouldn't we expect Villa to be one of the fittest sides in the league ? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Bailey left wing, Buendia right wing and Ings up front?

Means dropping Watkins but not sure what the issue with those three playing together is to be honest.

The issue is surely ...... dropping Watkins ?

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Looking at the fixture list I don't see where the next win is coming from.

If Smith stays on we will no doubt be in the bottom 3 by Christmas.

The 2 teams that I felt were guaranteed wins have now sacked their managers and will now be harder games.

I think that outcome is likely no matter whether we keep or replace Smith. It won't be an easy task to recook the cake with the ingredients we have ..... we need better ingredients in some key areas !

3 hours ago, Paul33 said:

I accept that but I believe stats show Villa to be pretty much bottom of the league in terms of how far they run and how hard they press and, as Shearer pointed out on MOTD last night, the best teams in the league are near the top in both of those categories. Given the amount of coaches we seem to have and the amazing facilities we have, shouldn't we expect Villa to be one of the fittest sides in the league ? 

Hadn't seen that stat. It does change my thinking about our press.

I don't think that Buendia or Watkins would be among the guilty parties, but maybe I'd be surprised there, too.

On 06/11/2021 at 13:01, IrishVilla10 said:

Absolutely. But I’ve also seen us play lump ball all season. Leak goals all season, struggle to maintain possession all season and struggle to create chances all season. We have been absolutely shocking. Badly managed to the point I have zero faith that anyone coming back from injury is going to make a significant difference. We had one of the best defences in the league last season and no ones changed, we still have the same base of our team but we look miles off it. We’ve got to the point now we’ve had so many bad results our objective of top half football looks near impossible and it’s not good enough. Simple as that for me  and we’ve seen enough stats now to suggest this isn’t just a problem from this season. The warning signs were there last season when we took the huge dip in form. We have no consistency in results under Smith and we’ve seen that every year. Sure he may turn it around, but evidence suggests its only time before we see the bad results again

Hes obviously been sacked as I write this but for me hes always done well with his best 11 when we have injuries we have struggled . Whilst all your points are correct I could counter argue and say that the 2nd 11 is not good enough and we have had loads of players out.  Is that deano or the squad. I would say that Loads of players have improved with him. He deserved more time for me. Hes gone now. We move on. Fresh manager = fresh ideas. Who do you want? I have no idea

10 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Its more about the drive from the management.....The top managers demand work rate, Ron Saunders it was in his Mantra....Its indoctrinated in to teams psyche.....or not, in our case.

Moyes has done it. Sean Dyche has done it, to a degree......and both without big ( I mean really big) money signings.....Viera has only just started and instilled belief and a willingness to compete and fight for evey ball....Potter has a durable/robust outfit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its more about the drive from the management.....The top managers demand work rate, Ron Saunders it was his Mantra....Its indoctrinated in to teams psyche.....or not, in our case.

In many games this season we havent really put in a shift until  the second half. This will change with the new manager, its got to. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

In many games this season we havent really put in a shift until  the second half. This will change with the new manager, its got to. 

We have to get this right in the recruitment.When Dean took over, we was a shambles behind the scenes, he steadied things.....what we need now is a winning mentality, instilled in the players, running, working without the ball,a swell as with it,  position play, organisation, a willingness to win duels, a desire to compete.etc etc.

I have to confess, I am worried about the calibre we are likely to bring it.

3 hours ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

VAR looking at the shirt pull on Mings and doing nothing was a joke. As was the referee not sending off El Ghazi.

we seem to have become insignificant in some ways......Shite like that just brushed off.

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Said before the game that a pressing side like Southampton does not suit us at all. 

Hope the next manager can find a way to combat that. 

It stems from work rate...it should have been picked up and acted upon.

• Like 1

Â