Ratings & Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Referee's performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/21 at 23:59

2 hours ago, allani said:

In 2021 we have so far played 35 matches: won 11, drawn 6, lost 18, goals for 41, goals against 52 with a return of 39 points.  For a team that has spent £200m and is aiming at top half / a European challenge that is not acceptable.  

I don't think that penny has dropped, in some quarters.

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Not on Smith that, if the players had come out first half like they did after the were told it was shit or bust second half then we might have not just surrendered a point. Their goal was totally **** gyppo, 50-50 challenge ballons 50 yards, lucky bounce and sits perfect for a half volley. Second half the players showed some balls but some bad decisions and mediocre finishes.

Bottom line, the board need to the responsibility for not spending the gresford money and not securing a 6 for Smith. If after that they then sack Smith we're in some deep shit as it'll be a sign we're not run properly (again).

The manager, is responsible for the team mentality.....He is the motivator, and sets the standards.

We can't keep relying on half time rollickins.

I read somewhere, that Smith was happy with his midfield personnel.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

On the second half we probably deserved a draw.

On the first half we probably deserved to be thrown into the sea.

There were signs that the players care in the second half, there were signs that we had a plan and ideas and that he'd done something with them at half time.

That first half though - and that half against Wolves - and the last fifteen against West Ham - and the last ten against Wolves - and the flat performance against Spurs - ugh.

Weight.

I dunno, I genuinely couldn't tell you which way they'll go - it might just come down to what the players are saying about the manager, it might come down to finding a replacement, it might already be done. 

In terms of performance - I thought Mings was decent in both halves, Martinez made a great save and was decent, Buendia played forty five minutes of rubbish, then played twenty minutes of good then ran out of steam, McGinn was playing a role he doesn't do naturally and he was poor, Nakamba isn't anything, El Ghazi was lucky to stay on, Targett and Cash were passable, Tuanzebe is a positional worry but has pace, Watkins worked hard but his finishing wasn't great, Archer was the wrong sub, Davis couldn't get into it and Ramsey at least added a bit of energy. We weren't great individually, but we were worse as a unit - diabolical in the first half - reasonable in the second - incapable of showing our good side for a full ninety minutes.

It's a narrow defeat, but it's our fifth on the bounce.

Weight might tell.

If a team has the right mentality bred in to them, from the training ground, we shouldn't have to rely on half time team talks to rescue a game....we should be in it from the off....its happened too many times......this spells, problems below deck.

Our motto is " Prepared" we are anything but prepared for a game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I don't know what to say. 10 minutes of madness v Wolverhampton has ruined our season.

I think that's it for Smith but I would say equally the blame is the summer transfer window. The explanation of bringing in 3 players to replace Grealish made no sense and this team is completely unbalanced, without a plan, and steaming towards the bottom 3. 

What happened against Wolves is symptomatic of our play, it was no freak....we are too easy to play against and opponents cash in, as they did.

We have now become long ball merchants.

2 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Whilst I don't like people being sacked, especially a nice one that got us promoted and playing lovely football. I think it's probably time for Deano to go, I certainly won't be celebrating, unlike some folk on here.

Whatever happens it will probably be best for Villa, which is all that matters.

Deano is Villa so he's prob hurting just as much as the fans are.

I can't imagine who will be next through the door

As long as they know how to win in reasonable chunks, they could have 2 heads, for all I care.

2 hours ago, Bosnichs Muller corner said:

Until it gets worse (say lose the next 2) I'm not sure the obvious managerial answer is out there at the moment. If Smith is replaced it will be a punt which may (or may not) have a chance to be better than what is happening now. Sherwood / Garde etc. 

I am not sure the managerial Answer has ever been out there, at anytime.....Ron Saunders was a shot in the Dark.

but right now, any one of us on this board, could get these results.

2 hours ago, smg said:

It’s not all about Dean though is it? He is being badly let down by his major signings. Bailey doesn’t look like he can cope with the intensity of the premier league and Buendia has to realise that 30 second cameos now and again is a pathetic.contribution. He asked to come off against Woves and cramped up after an hour tonight. He’s a professional footballer ffs. Perhaps he needs to look at his diet or something or not f**k off to Argentina for two weeks when he doesn’t even make the match day squad when he could be building his fitness.

Who brought those players in again?

Buendia wasn't a 40m player in a million years and was never got Ng to be the answer to losing Jack with or without the other 2.  Complete waste of money.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

The manager, is responsible for the team mentality.....He is the motivator, and sets the standards.

We can't keep relying on half time rollickins.

I read somewhere, that Smith was happy with his midfield personnel.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at this

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

There didn't seem to be anything coming out of the away end that suggested fans wanted him gone.

If the players are behind him, I think he'll be on the sideline for the Brighton game.

I'm not sure I have any faith in us winning that game though.

Nepotism, is the only thing, stopping it.

I don't think the fans will be the hangman, this time.....and nor should they be......The management are the ones who should make that decision, unaided by the fans.

If a club is run properly, with reasonable ambition, its shouldn't take flirting with relegation or mass revolt from disgruntled fans......They have a team of Data Analysts and will see the mood in the camp(BMH) to make such a decision.

Why should we put years of hard work at risk, by burning up fixtures knowing in our heart, we are going to lose.....if we go in to the bottom 3 with Dean, we only have ourselves to blame, for sitting on our hands...procrastination is not the answer, even if a new manager is a gamble too.

Right now, you and me could get these results.

I think one of the biggest problems we have had over the years, is appointing managers on the back  of a poor run of results or poor league position.....and the recruitment is then iffy.

The top teams have the foresight the change, when they are doing ok, but not great.....thats the difference in mentality.

Edited by TRO

24 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

We could be 17th by Sunday. We know how this goes. This club cannot afford to get relegated again. Sorry but now is the time to be ruthless. 

And that ciggie is the word, ruthless....its why the top teams are where they are.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at this

Well, I think it could cost him his job......I have been banging this drum for sometime, it took West Ham to turn up, for some to see it.

In the summer, we should have signed a midfield general.....we got rebuffed by Ward Prowse and give in...not sure he was the answer anyway.

• Like 1

We couldn't realistically appraise any of our players, in this form.

This is not the team that beat Man U, Its a shadow of that team.

Something has been lost, discipline/confidence/mental strength....its anyone guess.

something is clearly not right at B6.

So Adam Armstrong breaks his goal drought against us.....how many times has that happened.

You could write the script.

This team is not easy to beat, more like, desperately easy to beat.

4 hours ago, TRO said:

So Adam Armstrong breaks his goal drought against us.....how many times has that happened.

You could write the script.

This team is not easy to beat, more like, desperately easy to beat.

i did not see armstrong getting the lime light, i thought jwp would get it, 

the frighting thought is we have to play them again this season so theirs still time for jwp to take it

ohh on the game.. played for 10 mins after the break ,

please dean dont mention winning at old trafford when were poised to drop into the relegation places thanks

A sadly predictable performance. Just like the Arsenal game, but we were not playing Arsenal this time:rolleyes:. We were better in the second half, but lacked the cutting edge that Ings would have probably given us last night. Anwar was lucky to still be on the pitch and Dean should have taken him off after 20 minutes. Emi and Mings, kept the score down, but the rest of the team took 45 minutes to look anything like they were playing for their manager. What has happened to Bailey, is he just an impact sub? Fortunately, Norwich look doomed and it looks like Watford may join them. We need to find the points to finish above three teams though, at the moment it's hard to see where those points are going to come from.... 

• Like 2

Feel so low and sad about the Villa waking up this morning. Wish I couldnt care as much. Theres no obvious candidate to come in right now and if I was an opposition and saw no Konsa, Luiz, Ings, Traore who are 4 viable starters; id fancy my chances. We are so fragile and the nerves on the players faces 1st half is a personality thing. When it rains it pours and they’re all feeling that. Matt Targett fair play on being brutally honest in his interview. 2nd half was much better, there was some heart on display; as was the case down to 10 men against West Ham. Just cant bank on these players starting like that in the next game though thats the issue. Pfftttt what more can you say, sad times, but we’re so used to it at Villa. Big hole to dig ourselves out of now.

1 minute ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Feel so low and sad about the Villa waking up this morning. Wish I couldnt care as much. Theres no obvious candidate to come in right now and if I was an opposition and saw no Konsa, Luiz, Ings, Traore who are 4 viable starters; id fancy my chances. We are so fragile and the nerves on the players faces 1st half is a personality thing. When it rains it pours and they’re all feeling that. Matt Targett fair play on being brutally honest in his interview. 2nd half was much better, there was some heart on display; as was the case down to 10 men against West Ham. Just cant bank on these players starting like that in the next game though thats the issue. Pfftttt what more can you say, sad times, but we’re so used to it at Villa. Big hole to dig ourselves out of now.

dont let this bunch ruin your weekend , they are are well over paid like the manager, they are all alright mate.

what really is grating  smith on this game is villa were beat in every way, 

take a step back & look ..their manager got their goal & when the time was right he took players off to sure it up,they did not need a 2nd goal..now did smith do this v wolves? NO!  thats the difference .

was villa hard done by ? a dodgy pen or the like? nope

same for west ham, villa have no complaints nor does smith

Improved performance from Buendia - especially after playing out wide but still 5/10 as opposed to 2/10 and he gave away his main failing on 70 minutes by getting cramp ...... he is nowhere near physically fit enough to play at this level. Hopefully he and the club and their huge fitness/training/monitoring team will realise that Emi and quite a few others are nowhere near fit enough to play the two-way, high tempo, high-press game Smith is demanding of them ! 

Edited by Paul33

Â