Pre-match Thread

Herman22

6 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

Hopefully it's Tuanzebe and Ming's CB pairing. Just think having both Hause and Mings would be awkward as both as left footers. 

I really see Hause as a back up. Yes, he performs well, but he is slow and not good in tight situations. 

I think Tuanzebe would have stopped the cross for Tottenham's 2nd goal.

I like the guy as a player and want to keep him, but I wouldn't start him.

• Like 1

We need a result here no question.

Southampton are in good form lately and Hassenhuttl will have them fired up for this.

I'd like it if we could win 3-1 or something, but I have a feeling it will be a Desmond.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

My naive optimism is dwindling  on this one. I just can't see us keeping a clean sheet and I really don't want to see Southampton scoring first as that will hit our already low confidence.

If they do then we could be in for a long night.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

As COP-26 is going on I wonder what the overall difference in carbon emissions is in having an evening kick off rather than a day time match? More lighting, more heating, less possibilities of using public transportation. It would be interesting to see the stats.

We’ll all counter it when we’ve switched off at half time anyway don’t you worry 

• Haha 1

I can see us breezing past them no sweat, if nothing else then the principle that future events are likely to turn out so that they balance any past deviation from a presumed average, or in other words the law of averages, should mean we're due a win.

Edited by useless

You can get virtually 3-1 on a Villa win tonight. Firstly that’s absolutely depressing that the bookies think we are so poor! Secondly, fill your boots boys. We are due a massive slice of luck. We are not nearly as bad as our recent performances. Southampton are garbage. Score first and we win this by at least 2 clear goals.

I'd revert back to the 3-5-2 with Konsa out and Southampton playing with 2 strikers.

Play Bailey alongside Watkins with license to drift to the right wing and play alongside Cash, he offers a little bit more pace too than we've seen on offer when we've played 2 up front with Ings and Watkins.

3 in the middle of the park against Southampton's 2. I think if we play 4-3-3 Mings would end up pinned by Adams. That may still be the case in a 3 but at least he has some support.

4-3-3 incoming.

Absolutely massive, massive game for Dean and the players this evening. He has spoken already and said that everyone is in very determined mood. I really hope they are because we need to stop the rot. Another defeat and I can’t see a way back for Dean and feel that the board may well pull the trigger. 

The big talking point is who’s fit and again which formation to start the game, either 433 or go back to the 532? I personally hope we stick with 433. I know Southampton will likely go with Adams and Armstrong together up top but we should be good enough to contain them with a back four. Ward-Prowse is the one we need to pin down and stop him dictating the play, and obviously don’t give any silly free kick’s away around the box. I’d start with:

Martinez

Cash          Tuanzebe        Mings         Targett

Nakamba

Ramsey           McGinn

Buendia              Watkins               Bailey

Subs: Steer, Hause, Young, Sanson, Carney, El Ghazi, Philogene-Bidace, Archer, Davis

If we can’t win the game, dig in and don’t lose. A point wouldn’t be a disaster here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm looking for any sign of progress

... so if we don't concede in the first 20 minutes - I'll take it!

cutting out the stupid mistakes is key yep, if we get one early doors and they score from a howler it could all unravel really badly.