Pre-match Thread

Herman22

We are going to be so light in midfield for this one. If no one is back from yesterday we'll be without McGinn, Luiz, Sanson, and  Ramsey. Add to that Konsa, Ings and Traore and we are looking so light. 

Probable staring line us will be:

Emi

Cash Tuanzebe Mings Target

Young Marv Buendia

Bailey Watkins ElGhazi

That's the safe team unless DS decides to spring one of the kids. Maybe Chuk in midfield or Archer upfront. 

It's a really poor team that's lacking in confidence. I hope for a reaction. 

McGinn will play. 4 yellows isn't a ban.

Hopefully Luiz will be o.k as don't really want Nakamba starting again anytime soon.

If Sanson is still alive he starts aswell.

Would keep faith with front 3.

No idea who plays at the back, guessing it will be Mings and Axel.

Southampton always give us trouble even when we're in decent form and they've just taken 7 points from last 3 games so not hopeful at all. All set up for a Ward Prowse free kick winner I suspect.

Think McGinn is ok so that's a positive (I think) - I would snap someone's hand off for a point as we need to stop the rot ASAP!

Don't think anyone did enough yesterday to warrant a start in this one but injuries / illness / suspensions may give a few a reprieve. 

Difficult to pick a team but I think the only definite starters will be Martinez, Cash, Mings, McGinn and Watkins. 

Hause and Targett were both poor against the Hammers and I'd drop both and play a back four of Cash, Tuanzebe, Mings, Young - But looking at that on paper worries me a lot.

If Luiz is fit then he definitely starts, so him, McGinn and perhaps Sanson (assuming Ramsey is definitely out). If not then I'd go for Chuk. 

Same 3 up top again. Buendia, Watkins and Bailey. Bailey had a stinker yesterday and doesn't deserve to keep his shirt but hopefully these three can gel together in time, starting Friday!

Hopefully Ings back on the bench with Traore. 

With Saints possibly playing two strikers I actually can see Smith going 3-5-2 with Emi, Tuanzebe, Hause, Mings, Cash, Targett, Luiz, Young, McGinn, Watkins, Ings. - I'll stay off the match thread if he does :).

Hopefully Luiz is back - although seeing as there's absolutely no explanation of why he's out, it hard to guess at that. No news on Ramsey either, but his looks a bad one - I'll assume him out. Sanson remains a mystery.

So, with Luiz:

----------------------------Martinez--------------------------

Cash-------Tuanzebe---------Mings--------Targett

-------------------Luiz------------Nakamba-----------------

---------------------------McGinn-------------------------------

Bailey----------------------------------------------El Ghazi

-----------------------------Watkins--------------------------

subs

maybe Ings, Traore and Sanson if they're available.

If not:

Steer, Hause, Young, Buendia, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbanum, Davis, A Ramsey, Archer

Which is a mess of a bench.

Without Luiz:

--------------------------Nakamba----------------------------

--------------------McGinn------Young---------------------

Subs; Steer, Hause, Bogarde, Buendia, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbanum, Davis, A Ramsey, Archer

Which is even scarier.

Not knowing what's happening with Luiz, Ings, Traore, Sanson and JPB, and having Konsa and J Ramsey out leaves us ridiculously short.

Villa win.

• Haha 1

I'd much rather see Young at leftback than let Targett stink the place out again, though we may need him if Luiz is out, as you suggest. In better times I'd much rather let Chuk have a runout than put Young in the middleagain, but it'd take balls of steel to give a kid a go in a game this important for Smith.

I'd be tempted to go for two leftfooted CBs in Mings and Hause than give Tuanzebe another chance, I think he's absolutely woeful. He'd only be getting a game for me if all of the other defenders lost the use of their legs.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Think McGinn is ok so that's a positive (I think) - I would snap someone's hand off for a point as we need to stop the rot ASAP!

Don't think anyone did enough yesterday to warrant a start in this one but injuries / illness / suspensions may give a few a reprieve. 

Difficult to pick a team but I think the only definite starters will be Martinez, Cash, Mings, McGinn and Watkins. 

Hause and Targett were both poor against the Hammers and I'd drop both and play a back four of Cash, Tuanzebe, Mings, Young - But looking at that on paper worries me a lot.

If Luiz is fit then he definitely starts, so him, McGinn and perhaps Sanson (assuming Ramsey is definitely out). If not then I'd go for Chuk. 

Same 3 up top again. Buendia, Watkins and Bailey. Bailey had a stinker yesterday and doesn't deserve to keep his shirt but hopefully these three can gel together in time, starting Friday!

Hopefully Ings back on the bench with Traore. 

With Saints possibly playing two strikers I actually can see Smith going 3-5-2 with Emi, Tuanzebe, Hause, Mings, Cash, Targett, Luiz, Young, McGinn, Watkins, Ings. - I'll stay off the match thread if he does :).

I'm thirsty too.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd much rather see Young at leftback than let Targett stink the place out again, though we may need him if Luiz is out, as you suggest. In better times I'd much rather let Chuk have a runout than put Young in the middleagain, but it'd take balls of steal to give a kid a go in a game this important for Smith.

I'd be tempted to go for two leftfooted CBs in Mings and Hause than give Tuanzebe another chance, I think he's absolutely woeful. He'd only be getting a game for me if all of the other defenders lost the use of their legs.

They have haven't they😀

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Hopefully Luiz is back - although seeing as there's absolutely no explanation of why he's out, it hard to guess at that. No news on Ramsey either, but his looks a bad one - I'll assume him out. Sanson remains a mystery.

So, with Luiz:

subs

If not:

Without Luiz:

Subs; Steer, Hause, Bogarde, Buendia, Chukwuemeka, Iroegbanum, Davis, A Ramsey, Archer

Which is even scarier.

Not knowing what's happening with Luiz, Ings, Traore, Sanson and JPB, and having Konsa and J Ramsey out leaves us ridiculously short.

Villa win.

A very mysterious place..perhaps its the time of Year?

1 hour ago, VBM said:

... I can't imagine this will be a dull 0-0 either. 

But we can still dream.

I'll be hoping for just once that I can be the smug git in the sea of Southampton fans that surround me.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

But we can still dream.

I'll be hoping for just once that I can be the smug git in the sea of Southampton fans that surround me.

Well we got a rare win against them last time out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, with Luiz:

subs

If not:

Without Luiz:

Which is even scarier.

Villa win.

All about opinions but I wouldn't want Young playing CM in any circumstance (even yesterdays) If he starts it should be to replace an out-of-form Targett.

I also think it would be pretty harsh to drop Buendia yet pick Bailey who was pretty dreadful, at least Buendia created a nice assist.

FWIW I'd give them both another chance, mainly due to Traore probably not (fully) fit and I'm not sure AEG is what we need when the chips are down.

2 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

All about opinions but I wouldn't want Young playing CM in any circumstance (even yesterdays) If he starts it should be to replace an out-of-form Targett.

So without Luiz, Sanson and Jacob Ramsey, who would you play there?

I thought other than his assist (that was excellent) Buendia was awful yesterday, a passenger, there's a reason we didn't look much weaker when we went down to ten.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's a pity in a way that at a time when the club is desperate for midfielders who can play as a six and crying out for eights, our youth set up has produced a couple of the best tens we've seen in years. 

Murphy's law.

I want another Gareth Barry....that would be my ideal shout.

equivalent of West Hams Declan Rice.

• Like 2