Pre-match Thread

Herman22

Just now, Zero7 said:

I'd take a well fought 0-0 tonight, stop the rot and get some confidence in the defense 

A repeat of last season would be nice. They proper had the hump after we came away with all three points. We need that siege mentality again, tonight. If the heads are right no reason why we can't be victorious. 

We will lump it up the right wing at kick off.

We will do a couple of long throws to no one.

Martinez will pass to Mings who will play a dodgy pass back to Martinez who will then hoof it to the opposition. 

We will concede two first half goals and be out of the game. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Spoony said:

We will lump it up the right wing at kick off.

We will do a couple of long throws to no one.

Martinez will pass to Mings who will play a dodgy pass back to Martinez who will then hoof it to the opposition. 

We will concede two first half goals and be out of the game. 

Can I have an invite to your xmas party please 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ismail-villa said:

Hopefully it's Tuanzebe and Ming's CB pairing. Just think having both Hause and Mings would be awkward as both as left footers. 

I understand the point, but I don't think it matters as much for CB as it does for fullback. Anyone can attack through the middle. Sometimes you're going to come up against someone same footed, sometimes you're going to come up against someone opposite footed. I think footedness (is that a word?) matters more for the fullbacks because you want their strong foot outside when they join the attack and overlap.

6 minutes ago, TomC said:

I understand the point, but I don't think it matters as much for CB as it does for fullback. Anyone can attack through the middle. Sometimes you're going to come up against someone same footed, sometimes you're going to come up against someone opposite footed. I think footedness (is that a word?) matters more for the fullbacks because you want their strong foot outside when they join the attack and overlap.

I don't think it's necessarily about footedness, more to do with sided-ness. Both Hause and Mings train every day and have played for years with a partner on their right hand side and a full back to the left of them. By nature they'll drift into the space that a left sided centreback will drift into. I'm sure they're both capable of making the adjustment, but it would be slightly unnatural for each of them.

• Like 3

It's gone a bit quiet in Deano's thread, and the new manager situation thread which is probably a good thing.

It's made me wonder where our heads are currently at just a few short hours before the match.

Is tonight's game a must win for Dean?

Is a draw having played well acceptable?

Is a draw having played our current lacklustre football alright?

Is a loss having dominated play okay?

What about yet another loss having stunk out St Mary's?

With an international break coming up, is the game tonight the "cup final" that our players have promised Dean they will be fully up for, or is it just another game in an acceptable rebuilding process?

Based on nothing but a gut feeling, I think we'll play okay tonight and win. My "gut" didn't tell me whether that will be down to a couple of pieces of luck, or players actually giving 100% for 90 minutes.

31 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

It's gone a bit quiet in Deano's thread, and the new manager situation thread which is probably a good thing.

It's made me wonder where our heads are currently at just a few short hours before the match.

Is tonight's game a must win for Dean?

Not quite.

Is a draw having played well acceptable?

Yes, most definitely.

Is a draw having played our current lacklustre football alright?

It will stop the rot, so just about. Adds pressure on the Brighton game though.

Is a loss having dominated play okay?

Puts even more pressure on the Brighton game. If it becomes 5, then 6 straight losses I think he will be gone 😒

What about yet another loss having stunk out St Mary's?

Might not get to Brighton!

With an international break coming up, is the game tonight the "cup final" that our players have promised Dean they will be fully up for, or is it just another game in an acceptable rebuilding process?

Based on nothing but a gut feeling, I think we'll play okay tonight and win. My "gut" didn't tell me whether that will be down to a couple of pieces of luck, or players actually giving 100% for 90 minutes.

FWIW I think we will lose, 2-0 or 3-1. JWP to obviously be on the scoresheet. We really, REALLY need to get the first goal tonight or I think our brittle confidence will see no way back for us. Hope I'm wrong! (Which I usually am 😄

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We did against Everton at Goodison in 2008, great day that was

I was there with all of my sons. Superb finish and the Villa supporters absolutely lifted the roof off. We marched out like a claret and blue army, singing our heads off.

What a day!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mic09 said:

I really see Hause as a back up. Yes, he performs well, but he is slow and not good in tight situations. 

I think Tuanzebe would have stopped the cross for Tottenham's 2nd goal.

I like the guy as a player and want to keep him, but I wouldn't start him.

What's the point in him then?

Surely everyone in the squad should be pushing for a place

Feel like we’ll win this one… don’t know why, just feel like we will. 

I don’t think it’ll be enough for many fans though, I honestly think DS has lost the fan base a bit now and there isn’t much that’ll get them back.